Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iPod Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2004, 07:31 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod Battery?

So, what exactly is the problem with people and the battery in the iPod? Or is it that it dies when it's not been recharged for a while?

If it's replacement battery, then umm, you CAN replace them, Apple does something under warranty, might not be the best value in the world but it can be done, and also, you can obtain batteries elsewhere.

If it's the recharge issue, which leads to battery replacement then, umm, charge the damn thing more frequently then! It is, I believe a lithium-ion battery, which, from what I know, which is not much, is different from other rechargable types of battieries in that if it's charge drops too low or even to zero then it's unlikley you will be able to recharge it. In that case, stick the iPod in the dock when you're not using it.

Is there anything else I'm missing here? as I'm fed up of reading /. and seeing stupid fecking trolls or flamebaiters going on and on and on and on about sucky iPods and their sucky batteries. If that is all you have to moan about then you're lucky, get out and get a fecking life.
Old 09 March 2004, 11:10 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

I was lead to believe that the batteries only last 18 months and are not removable or replace-able.

No 100% sure don't hold me to it.

Darren
Old 09 March 2004, 11:49 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

I think the handy Google ads below prove at least part of that statement wrong
Old 10 March 2004, 12:01 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

£50 seems to be the going rate for a new one. What people object to is the fact that in the manual it states that the battery will last the life of the iPOD. Which of course could never be true.
Old 10 March 2004, 07:20 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

A small number of users suffered early failure. This pressured Apple into offering the Battery Replacement scheme, followed by the announcement of AppleCare for 3G iPod owners.

iPod's are the same as many PDA's in that the battery isn't a "user servicable" part when the unit is under warranty.

If the time comes, the battery is very easy to change.

http://www.everythingipod.co.uk has the batteries for all the iPod versions at around £50.

Cheers,
Alex
Old 10 March 2004, 07:49 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

I stand correct cheers guys

Darren
Old 10 March 2004, 11:06 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Its all because of these idiots Neistat Losers trying to make a name for themselves.

What they fail to point out is the fact that the battery was always replacable, they claim that Apple started selling these because of their movie, which is false. Read the disclaimer, cunningly disguised as the page title here

Its like a mobile battery, after a few years it will gradually begin to hold a lower charge. The problem was they claimed it was unreplaceable when it was.

I know a couple of people with 1st gen 5g iPods that have been in daily use since day one and they work fine, still holding 5 or so hours of charge.