Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Computer trouble - can anyone point me in the right direction??? please

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2004, 09:02 PM
Black Kat
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Computer trouble - can anyone point me in the right direction??? please

[FONT=Book Antiqua]I would be grateful if any one out there who knows anything about computers could help me with this weird problem.

A couple of weeks ago our home computer just stopped logging us into internet sites... we can dial up the web but the computer will not let us read any sites at it. It is not our ISP, well that's what they say anyway.

We've been told... the problem is not possible.... it could be the DSN connections???? ... and the most popular scenario, wipe it clean reload and start again.

I really don't want to go down the last option unless it's absolutely necessary.

So if anyone could point me in the right direction of what we can do to solve this, I would be very very grateful

Thanks
P
Old 07 March 2004, 09:17 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Do you have a system restore point, before the trouble started happening.

START BUTTON, ALL PROGRAMS, ACCESSORIES, SYSTEM TOOLS,SYSTEM RESTORE and then find date previous to internet explorer problems.

Or if you have a copy of internet explorer on a CD try re-installing it over the top.
Old 07 March 2004, 09:39 PM
Black Kat
Scooby Newbie

Trouble is I don't have any of the disks the computer arrived fully loaded, that's part of the issue of cleaning it all out it will cost a fortune to reload in programs, there is so much stuff on it.

I will do the search you've recommended and see if what happens.

My main problem is that I spent weeks building a website, with the idiots guide to web building, launched it to realise that I didn't load the image file, now I can't get into it to change it. As the pictures are key to my business it's sooooo frustrating.

Currently using my hubbie's work laptop and he's not got Frontpage on it and isn't allowed to load it, but having said that, Front page is £180 ouch... so my delima... is frustrating.

Thanks
P
Old 07 March 2004, 09:49 PM
ChrisB

Have you got anything like Zone Alarm loaded? I saw a PC recently that would connect to the ISP fine but you couldn't surf anywhere.

Zone Alarm was installed but not actively running. It was still stopping outbound traffic though - uninstalled, a reboot and all was fine.
Old 09 March 2004, 09:21 PM
Black Kat
Scooby Newbie

Lightning I tried what you recommended today, there is no System Restore on that menu selection on our PC

Chris I'm afraid I wouldn't have a clue if it was there or not, I'm really not that computer literate sadly... but I have made a note of it and I will have a look tomorrow...

...But I think I'm back to square one and facing a huge repair bill.

Kat

Last edited by Black Kat; 09 March 2004 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09 March 2004, 10:01 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

What version of Windows is it?

Do you get any error messages when attempting to connect?

Connection method? (From your initial description, guess its modem)
Old 09 March 2004, 10:48 PM
Black Kat
Scooby Newbie

Fig I'm using Windows 2000 which I uprated last year... if it is the modem ie the modem in the PC and not the telephone line which I'm using at the moment... how can I check that ?

my computer was built for me by someone and it's highly complex because he was a whizz but now it's gone wrong, I really don't know where to start...

however, I live in frustration at not being able to get to my website to fix it.... never mind these things are sent to try us.

Kat

PS: Jay(SD) if you're out there I would be grateful!!!! for some help and advice.... thx lol P

Last edited by Black Kat; 09 March 2004 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09 March 2004, 11:02 PM
cong
Scooby Regular

i agree with chris b you havnt got any internet firewalls up or any antiviruses installed because they would block any connection until you create a gateway to allow access
Old 10 March 2004, 08:45 AM
ChrisB

If you have a look in your Programs list on the Start Menu, do you see a group called Zone Alarm? Other firewalls which might cause a problem are BlackIce, Norton Internet Security or Personal Firewall

PS - Jay as in FireFox?
Old 11 March 2004, 09:46 AM
Black Kat
Scooby Newbie

Chris
thanks for your reply. No we don't have a firewall, but I have bitten the bullet and I'm taking it to a place next week, they used to fix the PCs where I used to work so I know them and know they can fix it (if it's fixable) let's hope so anyway.

my latest prob... hubbie away and central heating packed up... great stuff not my month I think.... these things are sent to try us... gotta go fingers turning blue...lol
P
PS yes
Old 11 March 2004, 10:16 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Kat
Chris
thanks for your reply. No we don't have a firewall, but I have bitten the bullet and I'm taking it to a place next week, they used to fix the PCs where I used to work so I know them and know they can fix it (if it's fixable) let's hope so anyway.

my latest prob... hubbie away and central heating packed up... great stuff not my month I think.... these things are sent to try us... gotta go fingers turning blue...lol
P
PS yes
tools > internet options > connections > check your isp is set to default, if not alter, next goto security, click on custom bottom left, make sure its set to medium. goto general delet your temporary internet files, and clear history.

got to be worth a try, often overlooked.

jamo
Old 11 March 2004, 12:14 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Can you still check email etc. on the affected PC, or is it just web site access that is problematic? This will tell us whether it's a web browser problem or a general connection problem.

Cheers,
Alex
Old 11 March 2004, 01:10 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Try dialing up and typing this in to the address bar

This should open google

If this works then your DNS servers are buggered. Your ISP will then be able to tell you what they should be and/or how to change them.
Old 13 March 2004, 03:41 PM
Black Kat
Scooby Newbie

Thanks again for all the info, I will try both suggestions, but I think I will probably take it in next week. Once it's up and running I will be looking for web fixing advice....

Thanks, again, fingers still blue no central heating sometimes I have to be so brave....lol.