Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Popups/ Internet connection problem

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2004, 10:04 AM
J S W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popups/ Internet connection problem

Hi, my laptop has gone crazy in the last couple of days, firstly I have constant popups, something like 6/7 at a time and very frequently. Also for some reason when I double click my internt explorer icon it will not activate the web. I am on freeserve and never had this problem before. I can access the internet by opening network connections and connecting from there.

So far I have gone to interent options and increased privacy to high and this has slowed the popups down a bit but now I have cookie problems on ebay and here.

This really is causing me a problem as I also seem to struggle retaining an internet conection at the minute.

Can anyone suggest something that could solve this.

Many thanks

James

P.s I have a Dell Inspiron (sp) which is about 10 months old
Old 17 February 2004, 10:13 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Dowload some spyware-checking software like Adaware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/) or OptOut (http://grc.com/optout.htm) and check that you don't have something nasty running in the background on your PC.
Old 17 February 2004, 12:48 PM
J S W
Scooby Regular

When you say something nasty, can you explain more, I'm not that tech minded sorry!!!
Old 17 February 2004, 01:05 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Software running on your machine that is generating these pop-up adverts. Run Adaware - that'll tell you what, if anything, is installed (that shouldn't be there) and will also help remove it.
Old 17 February 2004, 01:51 PM
J S W
Scooby Regular

Thanks Fatman I am at work at the moment but will try that out when I get home, thanks for your help.

Any thoughts on why the interent explorer icon will not work and how I can re program for it to activate freeserve? Or will adaware sort this as well?

Cheers

James
Old 17 February 2004, 02:05 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Not really, mate. The simplest thing will be to look at the properties of the shortcut and see where it's pointing. If something ad-related has changed this shortcut, Adaware will pick it up.

NOTE: remember to update Adaware once it's installed. It's kinda like updating your antivirus signatures.
Old 17 February 2004, 02:08 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

msblast was blamed for dropping net connections, maybe you have a virus, is the antivirus up to date ?

Delete all your history/temp net files and last used address menu, this may help (all simple to do in IE options)

Are they IE popups or windows popups ? stop the windows messenger service on within services in control panel, this will stop the window ones.

Old 17 February 2004, 10:02 PM
J S W
Scooby Regular

Fatman, I have completed the adaware download, it deleted 220 objects . Is that as much as it sounds?

What should I do know, just keep this updated and keep checking?

I know you are going to slate me for this but I don't have an antivirus program in place. What one should I be using?

Going to have a look to see what is wrong with IE icon now.

lipski1, I have already had a problem with blaster but have done the download.

Cheers

James
Old 17 February 2004, 10:48 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

No, 220 objects doesn't sound that scary. Most of them were probably cookies anyway. Yes, do keep it updated and run it periodically. It's good general maintenance. Regarding antivirus, AntiVirus Gold (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_avg_index.php) is good and it's also free.
Old 17 February 2004, 10:54 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Sorry... wrong link. The d/l page for the free version of AVG is http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php
Old 23 February 2004, 09:59 PM
J S W
Scooby Regular

Right, I have now downloaded both programs and virtually all popups have stopped. A big thank you to Fatman.

Unfortunately the IE icon still won't work, it has stopped linking me to a search related site (i presume this was virus based and has now been removed) it just comes up with standard windows page telling me site is unavailable. Network conection/properties does not appear to show any obvious problems.

Any more thoughts

Cheers

James
Old 24 February 2004, 12:17 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Is IE loading and then coming up with the error message?

If it is, go to the "tools" menu and "internet options", and press the "use blank" button for the home page, or google, etc whatever you prefer.

Sounds like something had hijacked your home page.

HTH

John.
Old 24 February 2004, 03:16 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I find that running Webroot Spy Sweeper is useful, as well as Ad-Aware. It finds things that Ad-Aware doesn't.

Also I run Google Toolbar to stop pop-ups.
Old 25 February 2004, 05:50 PM
J S W
Scooby Regular

John, I just goes straight to the error page, and asked me to try refresh etc. however there is a slight pause before this happens as if it is trying to find a page, I have been to internet options and re inserted www.freeserve.co.uk but I try using the default button and see if it works.

Redkop I will upload those programs when at home later.

thanks for your replies

James