Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

IDE Device config 2 * HDD + 2 * CD

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2004, 08:58 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IDE Device config 2 * HDD + 2 * CD

I have been helping a mate replace the 2nd ide hard disk in his pc, after much aggro and Bios flashing it transpired that it had a 30 gig max and was his second standin pc (he is a musician) so I get it all working and he comes and collects it.

He rings up tonight worried about how the drives are configured, the 2 hard disks are on the primary channel and the cd and cdrw are on the secondary, he remembered being told that it should be one hard disk plus one cd on each channel, personally I think I have spent enough time on it and am glad to have it off the kitchen table and dont know why he is worrying as its a second pc, the rest of me wants to know more about it, the one website I found suggested buying another pci ide card to run the devices off and I cant be arsed.

Your suggestions please.
Old 04 February 2004, 09:15 PM
sc00by-d00by
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

By its very nature, each IDE/ATA channel can only deal with one request, to one device, at a time. You cannot even begin a second request, even to a different drive, until the first request is completed. This means that if you put two devices on the same channel, they must share it. In practical terms, this means that any time one device is in use, the other must remain silent. In contrast, two disks on two different IDE/ATA channels can process requests simultaneously on most motherboards. The bottom line is that the best way to configure multiple devices is to make each of them a single drive on its own channel, if this is possible.

Like you say - an add-in PCI IDE card is a quick fix if you can be arsed.
Old 04 February 2004, 09:52 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Primary channel-
Master HDD (boot HDD)
Slave HDD (Music)

Secondary channel
Master CD-RW
Slave CD Rom

That's how I'd do it anyway

Not sure why you'd want a CD-RW and a CD rom though as CD-RW will do the same thing..
Old 04 February 2004, 10:23 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I always try to put a burner on it's own channel without any other devices - also as Fuzz states - why have a CD and CD-RW when new burners can burn at 48 speed
Old 04 February 2004, 10:53 PM
sc00by-d00by
Scooby Regular

With a CD + CDRW you can do on-the-fly 'backing up' (cough) of a CD to another CD.
Old 04 February 2004, 11:18 PM
cong
Scooby Regular

hi

ok here goes

ide1 should have 1 hard drive (preferably the one with the smallest and fastest storage)+ 1 cd drive the operating sytem should be on this hard drive
ide2 should have 1 hard drive + 1 cdrw
Old 05 February 2004, 12:34 PM
Tony_W
Scooby Regular

I agree with cong.

With this arrangement you can cover most uses...Hard Drive to CDRW (separate IDE channels) and also do CD to CD as they are also on separate channels.

There doesn't seem to be much of a problem nowadays with setting up CDRW's on different channels as burn-proof technology on CDRWs copes with any problems such as latency in data, but it did make a difference a couple of years ago.
Old 05 February 2004, 01:20 PM
King RA
BANNED

Like everyone says you have done it the 'not so right' way but it really doesn't matter. Tell your mate I said it is ok and stop moaning about it.
Old 05 February 2004, 07:21 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

King RA, spot on, I dont care about his bleedin pc any more, it robbed me of about six hours, all I got was the 80 gig disk in place of the 30 in mine so I had to pull mine apart as well, I think he thinks I have stiffed him for 50 gigs of storage, didnt need it anyway!
Old 05 February 2004, 11:21 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

But thanks for the info anyway guys !

Will do for next time