Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Xbox live/PGR2 control methods

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2004, 11:04 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

After playing a few games on live last night, I think present were RB5, RB5black, TheGza and a few others, and getting soundly hammered in all but a few races I was just wondering how you all configured the controller, i.e what setup, think Im on #2.

With GT3 on my PS2 I use both the analogue sticks, left for steering, right for throttle, on the Xbox controller I cannot config it the same and this is taking a bit of getting used to atm, I also had no problem with GT3 using manual gears but because of the lack of config options I'm having trouble with this as well. The PS2 controller helps in this respect as it had 4 front buttons which I used for braking and manual gear changes compared to the XBoxes meansly 2.

I know manual gear change is the way to go but surely auto shouldnt be that far off, or am I missing something?

Good clean races btw much better than the usual dodgem races that you normally get with strangers, all I have to do now is get a few more cars and especially the Scooby, just cannot find the time to play the damn thing

John
Old 14 January 2004, 11:10 AM
Bumpster
Scooby Regular

I just use the standard config with the left analogue thumb stick for steering and the analogue triggers for the brake and throttle.
I did try the right stick for throttle but felt I had more control with the triggers.

I'm still using auto gears too, the few times I've dabbled wih manual gears I didn't feel it offered enough of an advantage set against the likelyhood of me messing the changes. Although I do tend to use manual gears for the speed camera trials cause it gives me greater control of the changes
Old 14 January 2004, 11:12 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Personally I stick with the standard configuration. You can't beat the analogue triggers for superb throttle and brake control which is what you need in PGR2
Old 14 January 2004, 11:14 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

DOH ! Looks like we're in agreement Matt
Old 14 January 2004, 11:18 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

Standard config for me too
Old 14 January 2004, 11:23 AM
Bumpster
Scooby Regular

LOL Dunk
Great minds etc etc doen't explain it though obviously hehehe
Old 14 January 2004, 12:27 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

Standard for me. When are you guys on Live again? as last nights session got cut short by the GF.
Old 14 January 2004, 12:29 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Question

I heard that the automatic gears in PGR2 were v. good and in effect the effort to become practised at manual changing wasn't really worth it. Thoughts?
Old 14 January 2004, 01:18 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Manual gears do have some effect as the Speed Camera challenges are easier if you use them.
Old 14 January 2004, 02:08 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

--Standard for me too but then i'm cr@p as you will see if I can find any of you in races--

Good, cos I'm 'really' crap

Thanks guys, guess I just need more practice
Old 14 January 2004, 03:25 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Could be Bob, the missus is back though, so depends if I can get her upstairs using the spare telly. I will make every effort though

What kind of time?
Old 14 January 2004, 04:34 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Im up for it I'm well crap so i think ill fit in
Old 14 January 2004, 04:42 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

I'll prob not be back in till 10ish, so will be after that for me.
Old 14 January 2004, 05:21 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Cool

Standard / default controls with auto gearbox, and I've done all the speed camera challenges at platinum

Old 14 January 2004, 05:26 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

I'll be there
Old 14 January 2004, 05:42 PM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yup - I'm on the standard config too.

Good games last night - I've got my communicator thingy on order so I'll be able to join in the banter soon too

RB5-Black - LOL at your "Exit stage left" comment on the 'Ring. As you could tell it was my first go there...
Old 14 January 2004, 05:53 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

LOL

it shows when you don't know the track

good races last night......... just need all platinum now .... and I aint gonna cheat

Craig.
Old 14 January 2004, 06:01 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

I would join in tonight, but I'm due in the pub
Old 14 January 2004, 06:39 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
I'll be there on and off tonight.
Old 15 January 2004, 12:21 AM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Top racing tonight lads, even if I did come last most of the time. We’ll have to do it again sometime, I might even win a race next time.

Got to knuckle down on single player and buy some more cars that Noble M12 Jye was running was class I couldn’t even keep up in the Ferrari 360.
Old 15 January 2004, 11:27 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yeah, you need live Bravo, you couldnt hear me cursing you and your blod*y dodgem cars

Tim, get me late on a Friday or Sat night, I'm usually blind drunk by then and a danger to all on the virtual roads. You will win every race np

Some good close racing ln anyhow lads, especially with the Porches GT's

[Edited by Jye - 1/15/2004 11:28:13 AM]
Old 15 January 2004, 12:06 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

I am not bad online rank 23 wot wot, although I seem to be getting progressively worse, rather than better, I put that down to playing too much, and not paying as much attention as I first did when it was more of a challange.

I tried the standard config which in theory makes way more sense as you've got way more control of the accelerator and break using the spring loaded alnologue triggers, however, I just could not get on with it at all, I was terrible.

I now use the same set up as I did gt2 (never played 3), using joy sticks for steering, and accl/break. I can still keep up with some very fast people using this, think it's just a case of practice and getting used to it, so that it becomes sencond nature and you don't have to thikn about it.

I also use auto rather than manual as someone else said, I don't actually think that on this game manual gives you any speed advantage, and just gives you more to think about, and more fiddling to do. The auto system works very well, and you can actually still drop a gear (or several coming up to a corner while breaking). IE, as you start to slow, and before you make your turn in, click the left trigger a couple of times and it will shift down. I also think it has some kind of kick down thing, as if you click the accl forward twice very quickly when the engine is labouring it will move down a gear. GT2 and I hear GT3 also you could never be as quick on auto as manual, but I don't think it applies to this game.

The controller setup I use does have draw backs, in order to use the breaks obviously you have to let off the throttle completely which on the ring is akin to putting on the back breaks, and it is much harder to give a little lift of as the travel between centre and full is so short. Obviously getting excitable during a race it's also easy to be a bit aggressive with it, and end up spinning.

To conclude just get the set up you're most happy with, and do as much of the single player that you can before venturing online. The silvers are pretty easy, most of the golds are too, but a few are quite tricky. Plats are well hard, I have done about 34, and can't be arsed with any more. But if you're at the standard to complete gold, you'll give most online gamers a run for their money.

Most of it's about knowing the tracks lines, breaking distances, corners speeds, and where to excellerate etc. People tend to play quite dirty, so if you're going to fast into a corner, a little nudge (or an f'ing great whack is likely to send you spinning, but if you're at around the right speed, you should be smore stable and able to keep up with them, and get the wee buggars back on the next corner .

Also when you do optimatch serach you can choose to play with people of your own experience, which means that you'll have a bit more of an even match.

Because of the lack of accelerator and break control, I am seriuosly considering a steering wheel. I actually just came in here to find the post abotu it, shame they all seem to be a bit crap.

[Edited by mynickers - 1/15/2004 12:08:42 PM]
Old 15 January 2004, 01:06 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Good well thought out post nickers. I'll need to try the analouge stick again for throttle, just dont like where it's positioned tbo. The kick down theory is interesting, I'll need to look into that as well but I know it drops down gears with just the right amount of braking.

Bravo, I know what you mean about getting shunted, I really like clean games but its hard to get these when its busy, especially with 'public' games, really hate it when some muppet just fire into the corner flat out just in the hope of spinning you, not that any of the SN lads seem that way inclined which is great

Which brings me on to reserving slots to keep idiots out. Can anyone explain how the reserve friend slot bit of Live works, as I've had a look but wasnt sure what I was supposed to do exactly.
Old 15 January 2004, 01:14 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

As much as I hate to generalise about huge nations, the yanks are generally the worst, I dont mind being shunted by someone who is better than me, cause they got a better line, or I left a window, but some of them just go full pelt into the corner use you to break and turn, they carry on you're left in the corner - argh! And then you catch them up a few bends later, if someone knocks me out the way, and I can't catch them up, fair play to them. But the way to tell who can drive is to see what kudos people earn, I often come last with 2k odd, and the winner has 800.

That said, if you're quicker than someone and they dont' want to let you past its hard not to end up hitting them really! My policy is play dirty with me, and I will return the favour