Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

W2K - W2003

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2004, 10:21 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
What probs has anyone had in upgrading from W2K Adv Server to W2003 Server?

Bringing in a new machine not really an option, just in-situ. Its a DC & W2KE as well (that later).

Any advice (other than backups etc)?

Thanks
Old 10 January 2004, 10:22 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just changed my Win2K machine to Win2K3 and Exchange, teh install wasn't as smooth as I had hoped. Exchange was the real nightmare, I owe a lot of thanks to a mate of mine who sorted it all out for me remotely while I was working.
Old 10 January 2004, 11:07 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Is that upgrade or new?

What problems?

Old 11 January 2004, 12:10 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

That was a clean install mate.

Was coming up with an eror about my DNS server, yet all looked fine.
Old 12 January 2004, 09:51 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Anyone else?
Old 14 January 2004, 10:54 AM
ids
Scooby Regular

In place upgrade was fine for me, no problems whatsoever apart from a small problem with a custom application - -easilly fixed though.

Had a couple of problems with Exchange 2003 installs on top however that was down to our security templates being too tight !

Have done a few now - have been cought out with the SBS 2003 time bug though - however there is a workaround/fix out now.

ids
Old 14 January 2004, 11:45 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We're in the middle of an NT4 - 2003 migration, including Exhange 5.5 to 2003.

All new hardware, but I did an in-place upgrade of the PDC to 2003 without any problems. This was simply to upgrade our domain to active directory.

I then did a fresh install of a new domain controller (new hardware) and moved DNS, DHCP, WINS onto the new box. I then installed a new data server and moved all the existing shares, re-creating the new file permissions and transferred home/profiles onto this (that took some time over a weekend).

Then just wiped the existing BDC's and re-installed clean copies of 2003 and added them back into AD as domain controllers.

Then finally wiped old PDC (had demoted it to a BDC after first new DC installed) and did another clean install.]

Ended up with 1 new DC and the two existing servers freshly re-installed with 2003 and set as DC's.

Then did a clean install of 2003 on our new Exchange box (member server only) and installed Exchange 2003 into the existing organisation. That was tricky, but ended up boiling down to two main issues -

1) 128-bit NT4 service pack 6a needed installing on exchange server since new version defaults to this,
2) Administrator account didn't have the correct permissions for new Active Directory, Schema or Exchange. Made sure it had everything I could think of.

Checked that new server could see existing exchange directory and that existing servers were aware of the new server.

Then I transferred all mailboxes (users are automatically redirected to new server), then moved Public Folders and connectors to new server (recreated links to remote sites at this point)

Made sure nothing was still being used on existing 5.5 server, then stopped all services for a few days. Then I uninstalled Exchange on the server and deleted it from the directory.

Left that for a few days, then wiped the box, removed it from the domain and did another clean install of 2003.

Biggest hassle I'd say is getting Exchange 2003 to talk to 5.5. Make sure DNS is configured (especially with LDAP entries), make sure 128-bit security is applied using correct version of NT4 sp6a and make sure the user logged in whilst installing Ex2003 has access to everything on AD and the Exchange directory.

We do have a problem with our head office in that the MTA on the new server won't talk to the remaining 5.5 server.

Stefan
Old 15 January 2004, 12:40 AM
WillieF
Scooby Regular

Talking

Greetings PTMW

Done a few SBS 4.5 to SBS 2003 and win2k to 2k3 upgrades now and between Andy and I we have it sussed...

Its all pretty easy just make sure you do a back up before you start.

Give us a call sometime...
Old 17 January 2004, 06:27 PM
Tandy
Scooby Regular

Seem to remember reading you can't replace W2k Adv Server with w2003 server, I think you may have to use W2003 Adv server.(clustering etc. not supported)

Also read somewhere about adding a new server to domain promoting a machine to DC and disconecting it from the network whilst upgrading, should all go wrong this may be used to seize the roles.

MS. had a video conference on their website discussing the best upgrade paths it may be worth a look.

Tandy
Old 17 January 2004, 06:36 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Just built 6 Win2k3 Proliant ML530 Servers, and Exchange 2k3, ready for a Groupwise 5.5 Migration, and Netware 5 migration, and Citrix for Dictation software

all going swimmingly at the moment, including connectors, and test migrations

Few minor niggles like Zen does not work under Win2k3, but I have addressed that problem now

Steve