Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Linux Install Guide, as requested.

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2004, 10:59 AM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is the link to my Linux install guide people were asking for clicky *edited to say, right click and save as. Problems with scoobynet and geocities won't allow a straight left click.

Please note, this was written quite a few years ago. It was written for an online hacking/security magazine aimed at young, aspiring security enthusiasts wanting to get running with Linux. However, everything still applies today. Also, it is not meant as a heavily technical paper.

Any feedback, good or bad is welcome.

[Edited by Gedi - 1/8/2004 11:54:27 AM]
Old 07 January 2004, 11:10 AM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Thank you very much Gedi

Si
Old 07 January 2004, 01:10 PM
rogp
Scooby Regular

young, aspiring security enthusiasts
Not sure I meet the age criteria but thanks anyway. It will no doubt quicken my defection to the dark (?) side.........

Roger (25 and feeling like Yoda)
Old 07 January 2004, 01:20 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

lol, don't say that. I'm 25 in a few months.

You'd be supprised at the ages security experts get involved at. I know a couple of kids under 10, whom are not only excellent programmers, but also knowledgable in unix, networking etc..
All the skills to make them dangerous on the internet. Hopefully they grow out of it and move into the security side.

Most if not all of the worlds computer experts were at one time involved in exploiting computers.

I only mentioned the age thing so anyone didn't feel I was being condesending in the way it was written.
Old 07 January 2004, 01:50 PM
rogp
Scooby Regular

Gedi,

It sounds a little pathetic to admit but if anything I feel left behind by the younger people I know who seem to have accumulated so much IT knowledge (Security and otherwise).

I guess I have kind of drifted through my IT career not really striving to learn new things etc.

However, this year I'm dedicating myself to learning about Linux and getting some solid security experience and maybe doing the dreaded MCSE (boo hiss....)

Thanks for inspiring me to get off my ****......
Old 07 January 2004, 08:13 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

Do you know a programming lanuage?
Old 07 January 2004, 08:30 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

10 input "what is your name"a$;
20 if a$="simon" goto 40
30 goto 10
40 print "Hello Simon"
50 clr

speccy basic iirc

Si
Old 07 January 2004, 09:23 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Gedi - can't see your page!

Chris
Old 07 January 2004, 09:29 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

Chris, just right click and save as.
Its a word document. Its hosted on geocities, which is a bit dodgy with scoobynet.

lol @ Si.
I meant a real lanuage.
I think that was the first lanuage I learnt. Damn, I musta been about 6 or 7 years old. My first program was hangman, I still remember it now.....hehe
Old 07 January 2004, 10:43 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

My first program was a game

one of those book type games turn to page 12 for yes 18 for no type thing then did a video database program all though i suppose it could of been used for anything iirc maxed out at 3-400 records with 8 feilds per record sort of did a space invaders game but found the outside world about then too lol, wish i'd carried on

Si
Old 07 January 2004, 11:40 PM
Steve Lawson
Scooby Regular

Gedi,

I have been pondering a Linux install and everything I read says go and buy a copy but the tight git sitting on my shoulder says dont .

As you seem to know your onions on this stuff what do you reccomend I download?I intend to stick it on a spare 40gig hd I have lying around and dual boot with Win2k.

Is there any specific apps I should have other than the basic Linux install?

Oh and btw my programming knowledge was done on a ZX81 so I know less than Si hehe

Cheers

Steve
Old 08 January 2004, 12:12 AM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Steve

I went to the Suse website on Gedi recomendation and found in there downloads section the was a no install version of suse 9 which i duly download, must say quite impressed

Si
Old 08 January 2004, 12:32 AM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

I always recomend SuSE to people wanting to start up with Linux. As SuSE does not provide iso's of its OS (although everything is online albeit seperatly) I would recomend you you get the DVD from ebay. Its only £4. Its perfectly legal to do this, forget all the M$ monoply way of things.

If your really tight and insist on downloading (don't forget, you'll need some blank CD's to write to...hehe) then download a copy of RedHat or Mandrake, both of which are user friendly.

However, your tight git on the shoulder will shout at you again when I tell you that in order for you to start to get your teeth stuck into Linux, your gonna need some indepth documentation.....all of which some free when you buy. (you get 2 massive text books with SuSE pro).....although the shoulder man will be pleased to know there is a lot of documentation online....and within the OS itself.....I belive that you can't beat a good text book in front of you though. I can learn twice as fast with a book as opposed to reading on the screen.

As for apps, forget it, you don't need anything. SuSE for instance comes on around 8CD's or 2 DVD's. You can imagine whats on thosein comparison to XP which comes on 1 CD.
Pretty much everything you will ever need comes on them......but if that not enough, pretty much all programs for Linux are free anyway for download under the GPL.
Don't think these programs are crap in comparison to their M$ counterparts just because they are free. In many cases they are much better......why???? Here is my idea:

M$ programmers are paid to do what they do. They go into work, get given tasks and go about it.
Linux (etc) programmers do what they do because they love it. It is their hobby. They will pick something they want to do and make a start on it. If the program starts to get a following, a community is started where many other programmers join in to aide in the programming. These people enhance the program becuse they love it. Also, because the source is in the public domain, anyone can view it, make suggestions etc...and the code becomes very secure, efficient and full of features.

Consider the Linux kernel, it is probably one of, if not the best piece of software engineering ever. There are millions of people trawling through it all the time looking to enhance it.

lol, can you tell I love Linux and all thing open source.

Just to end this, you don't need to know any sort of programming lanuage to run Linux at all. It in only useful for either wanting to alter a program to your specifications (you alter the source) or if you want to roll your own apps.

You might find it useful to learn the basics of the bash shell. This is a million times more powerfull than a command prompt, in fact, a shell in Linux is probably more powerfull than the whole of Windows XP itself.
Old 08 January 2004, 12:37 AM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

If you want to give it a quick try, get the live-eval from the addy Si gave.

It will give you a basic feel as to what SuSE will be like....the full version has so much more though.
Old 08 January 2004, 12:58 AM
Steve Lawson
Scooby Regular

I have ordered a copy off of Ebay,too mashed on Guiness to even think about dloading ISO's tonight

Will let you all know how I get on

Thanks

Steve
Old 08 January 2004, 08:35 AM
rogp
Scooby Regular

Gedi,

No, I don't know any languages.

Any chance you could email me offline?

I could do with some advice about how to proceed in terms of learning and career wise........

Thanks

Roger

[Edited by rogp - 1/8/2004 8:36:37 AM]
Old 08 January 2004, 11:53 AM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

sure, I'll mail you tonight.
i'm at work at the moment and don't like to use my works email to chat about personal stuff.
Old 08 January 2004, 12:53 PM
rogp
Scooby Regular

Quite understandable.

Thanks.
Old 08 January 2004, 06:05 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Little parcel arrived for me today

Was going to do a print screen but can't work out how to do it lol

Si
Old 08 January 2004, 06:29 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

loads of ways.

May as well get yourself familiar with Gimp

File > aquire > screenshot
Old 08 January 2004, 07:13 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

SuSe may not make their ISOs available, but their ISOs are still available. When I feel like dabbling with Linux I d/l ISOs from LinuxISO.org - they host loads of 'flavours', including SuSe.
Old 08 January 2004, 08:28 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

But they don't host the full SuSE package, only the live-eval which is also available on SuSE's site.

The do have an FTP install, but I wouldn't recomend it, there will possible be about 3Gb worth of data comming down the line, dependant on what you choose to install.

I have to install Linux on my X31 thinkpad over my network as it doesn't have any drives in it, that takes an hour or 2, and thats on a 100mbit connection.
Old 08 January 2004, 08:48 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

only the live-eval
...true mea culpa.