Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Reading an Xbox HD from Windows...

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2003, 10:39 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...with it plugged directly into a Windows PC.

Can it be done? Any way to read the FatX file system?
Old 16 December 2003, 10:43 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

yes it can, but I can't remember how to do it - I'm just waiting for my crossover cable to turn up, then once I've backed everything up, I was gonna have a go at Norton Ghosting the drive....

For the hell of it, as I want to back up all of my save games!!!

"Calling Dunk!!!!"

Dan
Old 16 December 2003, 02:35 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Smile

You can read an X-Box HDD on a Win2k or XP system using T00GG's HDD Driver. Mail me if you need a copy.

Of course the easiest way is to FTP to your X-Box and copy the files over . . . .

The T00GG readme:
READ THIS BEGINNING TO END BEFORE RUNNING THE PROGRAM!!!
This program comes as-is with no warranty. It IS capable of rendering an xbox, it's HDD, or both useless, even possibly when used correctly. Anything done with this program is done at your own risk.

Well, here it is. Finally. I've been working on this off and on for ever. To be honest, I'm not satisfied with it. Most of my problems are with the GUI, not the functionality, although there are a few functionality bugs. But I figured I couldn't just keep working on it forever before releasing something, and as my friend put it "That's what point releases are for." When this is complete, it will be called Xbox HDD "Driver" for Win2k/XP 1.0. It is currently called Xbox HDD sector-editing supplement tool version 0.5. Understand?

How to use it:
Before running the program (which only works under win2k/winxp, I promise), you need to unlock your xbox hdd via the swaptrick, and make sure your system recognizes it. (Refresh your devices in device manager. If it takes a long time, the drive is probably still locked) If you run the program without the drive hooked up, it tells you and exits. If the drive is still locked, it crashes.

The program supports a backup/restore function which can back up the HDD to an image file, and restore it if the drive gets really messed up. This is the one part of my program I am 99% happy with, you can even listen to mp3's while the operation's going on.
YOU WILL BE SORRY IF THE FIRST THING YOU DO ISN'T BACKING UP A WORKING HDD TO AN IMAGE! The images the app creates are identical to what you can get with Winhex, so if you've already imaged the drive with that, you should be ok.

Because I'm so new to GUI programming, I started with an MFC explorer view. I learned how to do the TreeView 1st, so I figured I'd just put all the functionality there while testing, and move the features over to the list view when I was done. As I mentioned above, this is a point release, so all the functionality is still in the treeview . Simply right click on a file or folder to see a little menu pop up telling you what you can do. A little odd, but pretty self-explanatory.

KNOWN ERRORS/BUGS/THINGS TO BE AWARE OF
1. See how to use it

2. It finds the drive by looking for "BRFR" at 0x600. If the drive gets messed up here (and it shouldn't) use a sector editor to add BRFR and restore the drive from within the program.

3. This program has a real hard time with empty partitions. Try not to delete every file in a partition. Sometimes (and I don't know when exactly) the app goes into an infinite loop recursing invalid directories. You'll know when this happens because you'll get a million errors and the program will exit. The fix is to change the string 'FATX' at the beginning of the affected partition (you may need to try them all). This will keep the app from recognizing the partition and you can restore it from an image.

4. Dates are not fully supported. You can't change them, and I didn't bother to setup the dates of newly inserted files. The xbox doesn't seem to care though.

5. Let me know if you find more!

Comments are welcome: T00GG@hotmail.com
Try to be nice; make the subject something like "better luck next time, T00GG"

I think this goes without saying, but this program would have been impossible w/o Andy&Luke's info, and I also used some of Opcode's source. Thanks a lot guys! (feel free to make a better one)