Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

telewest

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2003, 07:47 PM
shocker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi
does anyone else have problems with telewest broad band at peak times ,mines goes really slow at peak times ,had alot of arguments with them and they keep telling me its my computer ,any ideas whats wrong
shocker
Old 07 December 2003, 07:55 PM
Beauregard
Scooby Regular

Red face

Bunch of to**ers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did I say that?
Old 07 December 2003, 07:57 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Yeah round about tea time for me 5-6pm ish, must be everyone getting home from work and switching the PC on.
Old 07 December 2003, 07:59 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

I had a few issues with them in the past, but got all these resolved must have been 9 months ago now, and I have had no real problems with the connection since then.
Old 07 December 2003, 08:08 PM
shocker
Scooby Regular

Yip agree they are a bunch of ******* they keep saying they will send an engineer round but he never turns up, totally aggree with tim as thats the times i keep complaining about 5 to 10 approx people comeing home and turning on ,friday nights is a total waste of time untill 10.30 ish then all the kids must get sent to bed then it all speeds up ,glad to here of someone with same problem will shove these replys right up engineers **** if he tells me its my computer again
shocker
Old 07 December 2003, 08:14 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
yup agree, ive got there 1mb service and i cant tell the difference between that and the normal broadband or if anything it seems slower
Old 07 December 2003, 08:17 PM
Beauregard
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I feel a really good "Telewest" bashing thread coming on.
Old 07 December 2003, 08:30 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

I used to work for them, and your probably experiencing network noise. This is normally worse when everyone comes home from work and switches electrical appliances on. Obviously on a night time, it all quietens down, and seems to work again fine. Usually the noise gets on to the network, due to poor connection and usually they are inside customers house

Only suggestion I got is to keep complaining and try to get a network (RF) engineer to visit around the normal time it slows down. They have a computer system called pathtrack, they can use to look at your nodes "noise floor" for the past 24 hours. Worth getting them to check that as well.

Another good test is to try FTP'ing and make sure you can upload / download to your webspace. At least this will prove TW RF network is performing as it should be.

You could also download and run ping plotter and this will help prove your case to them, if you ever get anyone to call around. That's not to say that someone hasn't already checked your connection for the roadside pit, and neglected to contact you.

Hope this helps Phill

PS And as I said Ex-Telewest employee so be nice here

Old 07 December 2003, 08:48 PM
ianmiller999
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine kept complaining to telewest, they said it was a problem at his end, turned out they had connected to many people to 1 server or what ever they connect to.
Old 07 December 2003, 09:26 PM
shocker
Scooby Regular

Hi
i think we are talking band width useage here,i think it is when to many people are on they just cant get the fibre - cable to pass enough information ,they wont admit there is a problem here but as i cancelled my direct debit 2 months ago and they kindly cut me of for none payment, so i wrote to there complaints department about my problem ,well lets put it this way i got a phone call from them saying sorrry and they would reconnect me straight away ,they still havent asked for money and i am still connected ,engineer is due this saturday for the third time ,hope he turns up this time or maybe their just not comeing as they really know the problem is there end
shocker
Old 07 December 2003, 09:34 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

I have had Telewest Broadband for 3 years & they have been spot on. If there has been an outage you phone the hotline & they are invariably on the case.
Now AOL, there are a bunch of t0ssers
Old 07 December 2003, 10:34 PM
shocker
Scooby Regular

Hi Daz 34
yea aol is **** ,but telewest has more outages than there is people in london every week ok there on the case staight away but these outages and slow running should not be happening in the first place , its called put in lots of cables and fibres ,servers etc and dont let to many people use it ,what telewest are doing is letting to many people sighn up and this causes traffic jams at peak times
shocker
Old 08 December 2003, 01:39 AM
Corgi
Scooby Regular

I have the 1 meg service and have been downloading files for the last 27 days, 24 hours a day at a steady 980Kbps without a problem, been with them now for about 2 years and get an outage about once every couple of months.
Old 08 December 2003, 10:04 PM
ianmiller999
Scooby Regular

At peak times my ping increase from about 50 to 950 should I complain to telewest or just ignore it?
Old 09 December 2003, 06:14 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yes, you should complain about the ping times, but compare them to BY website, to make sure they are both poor. This will help to prove where the bottleneck is

Can I just say that TW IP / RF network is very very sophisticated and they don't simple add users ***** nilly. There is a capacity management department that constantly monitor and upgrade the IP network wherever and whenever it's needed. It's impressive stuff IMHO.

Thanks Phill
Old 10 December 2003, 03:07 PM
King RA
BANNED

No complaints here either, 2mb and ALWAYS runs at 2mb. Pings of 15 - 20 on local servers.
Old 10 December 2003, 05:44 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

I used to get kicked of once a month due to the billing system being crep

i phoned once and asked if it could be sorted the guy said we dont have anyone that can fix it i burst out laughing

i asked him if they had someone that knew how it worked he said no

it got fixed after that no other problems
Old 10 December 2003, 07:22 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Obviously someone did know how to fix it, and he didn't know him directly ??? Really don't know how to answer that, and I'm not trying to defend them really

Phill