Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

please help wireless lan

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2003, 09:26 AM
subarustuff
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

hi help needed any one know how to get a laptop and desktop to recognise each other its driving me insane i have tried everything
but to no avail somebody must know , the laptop has prism 80211g already fitted its a new laptop and the desktop is belkin wireless card i have just fitted

is there an easy way the desktop seems as if its installed right it but the laptop cant find it

if someone cracks this for me i will love you forever.........

lol cheers subarustuff
Old 07 December 2003, 10:48 AM
uksti
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

They have to have the same domain name IIRC.
Old 07 December 2003, 11:13 AM
Beauregard
Scooby Regular

Question

Need a bit more info. What OS do you have on the 2 machines? do you have a wireless access point if so set the cards to infrastructure mode. If you just have the 2 wireless cards you need to set them in ad-hoc mode. Check the IP's of both machines are in the same subnet ie 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 check the workgroup is the same on both.
Old 07 December 2003, 12:57 PM
subarustuff
Scooby Regular

HI my os is xp on both i have the one on the desktop configured i think but the laptop i cant enable the wireless network it was built in and theres no disc for that i am trying to do something thats to brainy for me i have them set at ad hoc

is there something else i need or not cheers
Old 07 December 2003, 02:03 PM
Beauregard
Scooby Regular

Check in device manager to see if the wireless card is enabled. If it is right click "my network places" and bring up properties. See if the wireless card is listed.
Old 07 December 2003, 02:49 PM
subarustuff
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

hi have done what you said its enabled in device manager but disabled in network connections and cant get it to enable it says not available whats next buddy
Old 07 December 2003, 04:00 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Talking

I had a similar problem with mine.

I think when you are trying to use the network card on a wireless lan that is not secure (not encrypted), then WinXP will not connect automatically. You have to tick a check box or something that says "Connect even though not secure" or something along those lines anyways
Old 07 December 2003, 04:09 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

I've just re-read your post and I see it's a Prism. Mines a Netgear MA401 which I believe is actually a Prism. I had all these problems that you are having...

If you right click on your wireless network and then select "View available networks" you should see the SSID for your wirless lan, select this and then click connect.

Also, if are using WEP, then make sure the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" is ticked and that you have entered these WEP settings correctly. Always a good idea though, when your initially trying to connect, doing it without encryption.

I use mine on 2 networks and it now works quite happily, but for ages I had real trouble getting it to connect just like you are, I eventually come to the conclusion that they are just plain mental!!!!
Old 07 December 2003, 06:29 PM
Beauregard
Scooby Regular

Is the laptop wireless set to ad-hoc? Can you post the whole error message about it being un available.
Old 07 December 2003, 09:11 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I take it you're running these cards without an access point?

In that case, you need to set them to "Ad-hoc" mode as Beau says, as most cards default to "infrastructure", where the card looks for an access point, not a peer.

Old 07 December 2003, 10:38 PM
subarustuff
Scooby Regular

yes ive got them set to ad hoc thanks to all for trying to help me much appreciated please keep them coming

subarustuff