Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Norton Firewall alerts?

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2003, 09:44 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

After recently installing Norton firewall (already have Norton AV) I keep getting intrusion alerts. The question is are they real or just benign programmes/updates that are being confused as dangerous?

I've looked at the visual tracking, some come from the US and some from Germany but they mean nothing to me. What puzzels me is that I've been active on the net without a firewall for years now, I haven't had any real problems with my data or viruses. So if trojan hourses are now being picked up so frequently now that I have a firewall, what happened before I had one?

F
Old 19 October 2003, 08:07 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Floyd - difficult to say without seeing the logs, but judging by the amount I pick up, I would say that you are seeing random attacks such as port scans and attempts to expolit known Trojan back door virus attacks. Scary isn't it? Most of this stuff is run by script kiddies or people who have downloaded one of the many programs available to do port scans etc.

Just as with Av software, you can now get good free firewall protection (Sygate is my personal favourite), so there is no excuse for not having one now.

Make sure you keep you PC patched aswell - there were a number of MS updates issued over the last few days.

Anyone like any IT security consultancy

Chris
Old 19 October 2003, 01:52 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Angry

Thanks for the info Chris. I get data logs about the attack so what can I do? Can I do something 'bad' back to them to teach them a lesson?

F

Old 19 October 2003, 06:19 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

I keep getting an alert in Norton Internet Security just about every time I log into MSN Messenger 6:-

A remote system is attempting to access your computer
Threat level = High Risk
Remote address - 64.4.12.201 : 7001
A remote computer is attempting to communicate with a service on your computer.

Even if I say block this action and also tick the box to say block in future I still get the same log when I log into MSN.

Anyone know what this means?
Old 19 October 2003, 08:39 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Problem is Floyd - there are so many people launching these attacks, that it becomes a nightmare to trace. There is no guarantee that the source IP address would be legit anyway (certainly wouldn't be if they anywhere near a half decent hacker).

If you are seeing continuous attacks from a particular source address, you could find out who the ISP is (look up using 'WHOIS' or goto a site such as RIPE. You could then email the ISP to advise them of the abuse, but there is no way of telling whether this will work.

I would be glad that you firewall is doing its job and stopping this stuff. Not much more you can really do. I wouldn't advise launching return attacks, unless you really know what you are doing. I've worked with people who do this kind of stuff and it is pretty scary. There are some very clever/nasty people out there, who you really don't want to cross...

As regards port 7001. It could be a legitmate service called 'AFS' - this is a distributed filesystem, that allows the efficient sharing of filesystem resources. However, it could also be related to a known trojan program called 'Freak 88' - this also uses port 7001. This is why your Norton FW is flagging it. Unless you use AFS, I would consider it to be dodgy.

Right, that'll be 1 hours consultancy (min fee ) $300 please

Chris

[Edited by Chris L - 10/19/2003 8:43:22 PM]
Old 20 October 2003, 07:59 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks Chris.

Nasty people eh? Well let me tell you that I can be quite nasty too, I'll let their tyres down if they really get me angry...

F
Old 22 October 2003, 03:01 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

LOL Floyd

Believe me, if you value your PC and the data on it, I would leave well alone.

Chris
Old 22 October 2003, 04:59 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

The worrying point for you all is, real hackers will rip through your firewalls in seconds......muahahahahaha