Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

BT or Telewest?

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2003, 09:30 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I am about to move to a new home and need a phone line and broadband access, I can get both in my area.

Now I thought Telewest were cheaper for both phone and internet, and at the mo both are offering free modems, connection etc. But I hear BT are getting their act together WRT telephone charges.
But whats the internet service like? I am going to get SKY but am not going to be using telewest for that - no widescreen sky sports, no deal!

I can't find out telewests service charges at the mo (website down, not a good advert) But BT's are £27 amonth for broadband and £11.50 min line rental rising to £28.50 all in (not mobiles though).

Your thoughts please
Old 15 October 2003, 09:37 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Why can't you get Sky Sports with Telewest?
Old 15 October 2003, 09:40 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
You can, but not in widescreen, you can't get sky sports extra, or interactive and they are fecking expensive compared to SKY.

[Edited by Jay m A - 10/15/2003 9:42:39 AM]
Old 15 October 2003, 09:50 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Glad to hear that your house is nearly ready!!!

Bear in mind when you look at the cost of digital TV with Telewest, it includes £10 which is your telephone cost!!

We've gone for the middle package, which is £13.50 per month about £8 cheaper than the Sky equivalent!!! Although that is without Sports and Movies!!

I have a 1Mb cable connection (£35/month), phone (£10/month) and cable TV (£13.50/month)

Then again if you are happy with a 512k connection, that's only £25/month. The difference can be put towards your TV!!! It's worth calling up Blueyonder and getting a total price per month for exactly what you want as the website can be a little misleading!!!

Oh and I can recommend you so I get a freebie!!!

Old 15 October 2003, 10:19 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Andy, I'm glad the house is nearly ready!! the baby is nearly ready too which reminds me, must get a pram, cot etc once I've sorted out the entertainment

Right, Sky will be viewed via a dish - no exceptions!!

Now that I've got telewst back online, the phone charges are very similar, except Telewest charge connection fee!

I think I'll flip a coin

Any of you had any broadband downtime with BT or Telewest, whose connection is more reliable??? probably the deciding factor - no SKY tangents please !!

Justin
Old 16 October 2003, 12:43 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I've had about 4-5 days downtime in over 2 years!

A work colleague in Sutton with ADSL was unable to connect once in last 6 months.

Back to back, Blueyonder 512Mb connection performed better than the BT ADSL 512Mb connection when downloading from the same source at the same time!

With my 1Mb connection, I can download on average at 130kB/second although I've seen it peak at over 200!!! The 512Mb connection will average at 65kB/second. With the BT ADSL I played with, it only managed to peak at about 55Kb/second.

I guess it depends how far away from the exchange you are, etc.
Old 16 October 2003, 12:44 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Wink

I thought Sky were working with BT, so you should be able to get cheap Sky, if you subscribe to BT ADSL!!!

I think that may have answered your question1!!