ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   BT or Telewest? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/260373-bt-or-telewest.html)

Jay m A 15 October 2003 09:30 AM

I am about to move to a new home and need a phone line and broadband access, I can get both in my area.

Now I thought Telewest were cheaper for both phone and internet, and at the mo both are offering free modems, connection etc. But I hear BT are getting their act together WRT telephone charges.
But whats the internet service like? I am going to get SKY but am not going to be using telewest for that - no widescreen sky sports, no deal!

I can't find out telewests service charges at the mo (website down, not a good advert) But BT's are £27 amonth for broadband and £11.50 min line rental rising to £28.50 all in (not mobiles though).

Your thoughts please

MooseRacer 15 October 2003 09:37 AM

Why can't you get Sky Sports with Telewest? :confused:

Jay m A 15 October 2003 09:40 AM

You can, but not in widescreen, you can't get sky sports extra, or interactive and they are fecking expensive compared to SKY.

[Edited by Jay m A - 10/15/2003 9:42:39 AM]

Andy Tang 15 October 2003 09:50 AM

Glad to hear that your house is nearly ready!!! :D

Bear in mind when you look at the cost of digital TV with Telewest, it includes £10 which is your telephone cost!!

We've gone for the middle package, which is £13.50 per month about £8 cheaper than the Sky equivalent!!! Although that is without Sports and Movies!!

I have a 1Mb cable connection (£35/month), phone (£10/month) and cable TV (£13.50/month)

Then again if you are happy with a 512k connection, that's only £25/month. The difference can be put towards your TV!!! ;) It's worth calling up Blueyonder and getting a total price per month for exactly what you want as the website can be a little misleading!!!

Oh and I can recommend you so I get a freebie!!! ;) ;)

Jay m A 15 October 2003 10:19 AM

Andy, I'm glad the house is nearly ready!! the baby is nearly ready too :eek::D which reminds me, must get a pram, cot etc once I've sorted out the entertainment ;)

Right, Sky will be viewed via a dish - no exceptions!! :D

Now that I've got telewst back online, the phone charges are very similar, except Telewest charge connection fee!

I think I'll flip a coin :)

Any of you had any broadband downtime with BT or Telewest, whose connection is more reliable??? probably the deciding factor - no SKY tangents please !!

Justin

Andy Tang 16 October 2003 12:43 AM

I've had about 4-5 days downtime in over 2 years!

A work colleague in Sutton with ADSL was unable to connect once in last 6 months.

Back to back, Blueyonder 512Mb connection performed better than the BT ADSL 512Mb connection when downloading from the same source at the same time!

With my 1Mb connection, I can download on average at 130kB/second although I've seen it peak at over 200!!! :eek: The 512Mb connection will average at 65kB/second. With the BT ADSL I played with, it only managed to peak at about 55Kb/second.

I guess it depends how far away from the exchange you are, etc.

Andy Tang 16 October 2003 12:44 AM

I thought Sky were working with BT, so you should be able to get cheap Sky, if you subscribe to BT ADSL!!! :eek:

I think that may have answered your question1!! ;)