Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wireless lan

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2003, 04:43 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am going to take the plunge and put a wlan in the house, 1 pc downstairs (where the Broadband router/hub will sit), and a couple upstairs.

I am concerned that the walls in the house may cause a problem.. they are about 3 foot thick in places (solid), the signal will only have to go through one wall though.

I also have a digisender set up to transmit the cable tv signal from one end of the house to the other which seems to work fine.

I've also heard that the digisender may interfere with my wireless network , can anyone confirm this?

Anyway.. here's the kit i'm thinking of :

Router

Card

Would this be a reasonable option, can anyone suggest any alternatives?

Cheers

Andy

[Edited by Avi - 10/14/2003 4:44:32 PM]
Old 14 October 2003, 04:54 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Wireless LAN should penertrate walls fine (Solid chunks of metal it will struggle with), you're normally looking at a range of about 30 metres in buildings with dividing walls etc.

As for the digi sender, I have one and have had no probs with it interefering with my WLAN. However they do operate on the same frequency, 2.4GHz, so there may be some truth in this???

Old 14 October 2003, 05:13 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Cheers, i'll give it a try then..

I've been browsing ebay and found these, seem like they'll do the job and a lot cheaper , can anyone comment on this kit?? :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=44996

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=44996
Old 14 October 2003, 06:49 PM
RoosterRoo
Scooby Regular

I use the Belkin 54g equipment (this works through a number of walls and on both levels of my house). I would recomend this as it Tx's and Rx's at 54Mbps opposed to 11Mbps that you would usually get - and it's back compatable with 11g equipment.
Old 14 October 2003, 11:18 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

Wireless doesn't work properly in my house (lots of 3 foot thick solid stone walls) had a Netgear access point which I returned to Dabs as it was un-usable (they've still got it 5 weeks later) and bought the 3com office connect one which is much better, so I suspect the netgear really was faulty. But wireless still doesn't work properly, there are a couple of sweet spots, but about 1/3 of the house is really erratic. I could site the access point better, but thats not the point of wireless!
Old 14 October 2003, 11:25 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

I have a WLAN at home, Access point is in the cellar. Laptop works fine all around the house to 3 floors up.

Doesn't work at the far end of the garden, I guess that must be around the 30m distance mark.