Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Obtaining server details quickly

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2003, 05:58 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something i'd attack with perl.

I'd agree with MrShades, this is what being an admin is all about.

I'm not having a go at you, so please please don't take this the wrong way, but point and click admins are the type of admins who leave networks with gaping holes in them. The word 'humble' is deffinetly the wrong word for a network admin. IMO that is a great job!! It is the area I started in before finally landing in computer security.

I would see this as a challenge. This could be the reason you have been looking for to learn a powerfull scripting lanuage like perl. Perl is one the admins favorite tools.

I can point you in the right direction to get you started if you are interested.

*spell check needed*

[Edited by Gedi - 10/9/2003 6:00:11 PM]
Old 09 October 2003, 01:39 PM
Davie
Scooby Regular

Hello all!

To put you in the picture, i have a series of checks which i do at the same day every day on 8 servers.

The things i check are disk space, Event Logs and memory usage.

At present i use either Terminal services or remote control program to get this information. but it takes about half an hour. I'm getting bored of this and am on the search for a program that records this info centrally.

If any of you network admin guys out there have any programs, or do a similar thing, only easier, then i would be really appreciated if you could share it with me..

Thanks in advance...

David
Old 09 October 2003, 01:49 PM
rogp
Scooby Regular

I think you may be able to extract the info using WMI scripting.

Do a google search for it.
Old 09 October 2003, 02:05 PM
Davie
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately i am no script expert. Just a humble Network admin. Is there any "point and Click" systems available that anyone knows of?
Old 09 October 2003, 03:56 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Surely working out the answer to your problem is most of the fun of being a Network Admin - or at least it was in my day...

...anyhow...

Excuse the lack of current knowledge, but I'd aim to do something like - write a small batch file, or script, that ran from a central location (so that you change it only once), which was set to run on each machine as a scheduled daily task and which performed each task you want to do (you may have to find some DOS /cmd utils to do this, esp for mem util as I doubt a mem /c will be good enough LOL) and sent the output to a central log file.

You could name the log files something like <date><machine name>.txt for easy storage and retrieval...

Then, all you have to do is open 8 files in a dir and read through them to have the details. If you want to be lazier, just get every machine to write to the same file (but to run 2 mins apart or something, to avoid conflict) - and echo the machine name to the file before the commands are.

Might be a crap idea, might give you something to go on. No-one else has bothered answering and something may be better than nothing....

Have fun!

Shades
Old 09 October 2003, 04:50 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mail me let me know what you want to get, mail me the server names or IP's too if you want it 100% clicky
Old 09 October 2003, 04:53 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a job for SNMP, but I don't know if that comes as part of Windows?
Old 09 October 2003, 05:52 PM
Davie
Scooby Regular

David YHM
Old 09 October 2003, 06:13 PM
Davie
Scooby Regular

I think you have mis-understood me.

The task i am trying to complete is not a "problem". it is a regular check to keep the health of the servers.

And to be honest its not network admin stuff, its just to make sure my servers are healthy. If i can automate the recording of such details by using a script or tool, then it frees up time to allow me to configure the 3 new servers i have sitting here.

David
Old 09 October 2003, 11:15 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Old 10 October 2003, 06:57 AM
Davie
Scooby Regular

And by that you mean?
Old 10 October 2003, 08:11 AM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

it is deffinetly a problem. A problem is something you want to execute which you don't yet have an answer to.

This is deffinetly network admin stuff. Our network admins are tasked this kind of work all ths time. We are based on both unix and windows platforms, so they have written scripts (in perl) to automate virtually every day to day task they have to do in these environments. IMO this is great fun, and is the reason I code as a hobby too.

Don't forget, a lazy admin, is a good admin!!
Scripts don't miss a trick.
Old 10 October 2003, 02:42 PM
Davie
Scooby Regular

Hear Hear! I'm glad someone see's it my way.