Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Email probs

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2003, 04:02 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I've bin looking. I'm guessing the time fing isn't a general fing and only applies to certain ISP's, but as an example click here and look to the bottom. It basically says without this you can only 'send' if you've 'read' anything up to 30 minuts prior.

Others just seem to block port 25 unless your dialed directly into them or have this authentication fing set.

It doesn't seem that unreasonable that it may keep a database of when users last received mail, then compare it when they do a send.

The fing that puzzles me, is how is this meant to stop spammers, surely they can just tick the same tick box too

Anyway, regardless of anyfing, gotta be worth at least setting it and seeing if it works.

[edited - my english is just $h1te sometimes]

[Edited by zhastaph - 10/9/2003 4:04:10 PM]
Old 08 October 2003, 09:47 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

With my BT openworld (using outlook express) Email account my mail is either late in getting through at my end or at the recievers end.
Is this a prob at my ISP s end or my PC ???
Old 08 October 2003, 10:12 PM
Figment
Scooby Regular

Probably the ISP. Won't be anything on your machine, unless you are forgetting to click Send/Receive and don't have OE set to check automatically.
Old 08 October 2003, 10:41 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Does your ISP have a webmail page you can check? Looking at the contents of that before downloading your mail should help find the problem.
Old 08 October 2003, 11:00 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

yup they have a webmail page and everything comes through that is on it but it is more the items I send that I am having bother with ( sometimes up to 12 hour later !!! if at all !! ) and there are no mail delivery failure mails coming back and they are often replies so no chance of wrong addy.
Old 09 October 2003, 08:15 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

I am also getting this problem as well.
Old 09 October 2003, 02:27 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Just had mail from someone saying they have just recieved TUESDAYS mail !!![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Other than changing ISP what can I do?
Old 09 October 2003, 02:37 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

I don't know if it will help, but who knows.

There is a setting in Outlook and OE "Server requires authentication". Basically most ISP's wont let you send an email unless you have done an email receive anything up to 15 minutes (or whatever) prior to the send. The "Server requires authentication" emulates that.

If it isn't ticked, then try ticking it.
Old 09 October 2003, 03:26 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do most ISPs do that then, considering it's got nothing to do with SMTP and POP3, and that those two services are usually on completely seperate machines? You'd have to have a database recording the last send or receive time keyed on user. Nobody does that
Old 09 October 2003, 03:42 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

It's true, promise, it's somethin to do wiv Spammers or something. I'll have a quick look
Old 09 October 2003, 04:14 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We are hijacking this thread But anyway ...

No, that's just authentication, just as you'd use for POP3. An SMTP server doesn't require authentication, just needs to know what domains it can send from. Most ISPs will only allow a connection to their SMTP server if it's within a certain range of IP addresses. IPs can be spoofed, so you can also put some authentication on the SMTP server so only those with a valid username, password and IP address can send through it. That's what that option's for.

If mails are being retrieved a few days after they were sent, check the message headers and see if there's anything in there. SMTP will keep trying to send mail if a remote MTA is down, perhaps a host was unreachable at the time and that's why it's come through late?