Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Inkjet Printers

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2003, 11:52 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I'm lookin at buying a new inkjet printer for home and am lookin for any info you lot might have and cheapest places to buy.....
Ideally,I want something that has a small LCD display and can print direct from a Sony memorystick onto 6x4 paper.It would be nice if the printer can be used without being connected to a PC too.I noticed in the newspaper at the weekend that PCWorld are selling the HP P7350 for £149 instead of £179 and this has the features I want......
Are there any other printers that are capable of similar things for around the same money? (£150 or less)

Cheers

Nick
Old 14 July 2003, 06:40 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Nick it's a yank site but hey

http://www.steves-digicams.com/
Old 14 July 2003, 06:45 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Also nick assuming you just want this to print photo's i've given up on printers and now upload files i want printed to www.photobox.co.uk if you use there prepay scheme a standard print cost 19pence plus postage and quality is very good
Old 15 July 2003, 04:39 PM
pthomlinson@hotmail.com
Scooby Regular

if you find the model you want check out www.kelkoo.com - you can do a search of all the online retailers to see who's cheapest, and there can be some huge differences!
Old 15 July 2003, 06:22 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

watch PCWorld mate, i went into one at Moorgate last week and noticed that on the cheaper printers, they dont supply cartridges or cable. (tight b4stards!)

shame you are not in london, you can walk up and down tottenham court road and play the shops up against each other...!!!!

good luck

Dazza

Old 16 July 2003, 01:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Is anyone else disgusted at the price of ink cartridges?
My printer, an Epson Stylus C70 plus, has 4 in it. The whole package was £100, but I now have to pay £70 for the four cartridges when they run out. I can't fit cheap ones as they have microchips in them, which the printer needs to read.
Alcazar
Old 16 July 2003, 01:35 PM
ChrisB

Double post - opps!

[Edited by ChrisB - 7/16/2003 1:37:52 PM]

Trending Topics

Old 16 July 2003, 01:37 PM
ChrisB

It's well known HP make more money out of selling ink cartridges than they do from the selling the printers themselves.

Couple of interesting links:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/31569.html

"Which? slams the cost of printer ink. A Colour HP cartridge, for example costs £29 or (put another way) 1.70 per millilitre. That's seven times more expensive than the cost of vintage champagne, it points out. A 1985 Dom Perignon costs 23p per millilitre."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/28653.html

"HP's consumables business, including inkjet cartridges and laser jet toner, account for more than half of the printer group's revenues, which were more than USD20 billion in fiscal 2002."

The last link is good news though - EU laws should outlaw putting chips in ink cartridges in 2005.
Old 17 July 2003, 11:01 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys!!!
Now decided I'm gonna get the HP 7550 Photosmart.Cheapest I seen it is £219 all in ordering via the web!! (Small lcd display too to see what pics you wanna print plus has had good reviews in the PC mags recently)

Just need to find a place now which sells cheap HP photo paper....

Old 18 July 2003, 11:08 AM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Angry

Disgusted with the price of HP cartridges, I opted for a replacement from another company, promising to provide a bigger cartridge for less money.

They have. The cartridge (colour) has twice the capacity of the genuine HP one, and cost about 10p less.

Great, one might think...

Well no. As it isn't genuine HP, the printer continually gives warnings about low ink-levels, and cannot therefore judge when the ink is really about to run out. The ink that is used stinks, and takes much longer to dry, and also seems to make the standard non-glossy paper more wrinkled from the extra moisture.

But the most annoying thing is that the quality is not the same. Before, with a proper HP cartridge, when printing on glossy paper, the setting could be "High" and a photo-quality picture was printed. Now, the setting has to be on the max resolution, which takes up about 400MB memory, and takes about 15 mins to print an A4 sheet. Which obviously uses twice the ink!! Otherwise you get banding - or whatever those stripes of missed ink is called.

I'll be sticking with HP from now on, regardless of the cost. Knowing me, I've probably got the only knackered cartridge from this company ever produced...
Old 18 July 2003, 03:32 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

i know it should be in the for sale section, but i have
2 epson black (S020108) carts
and 2 epson colour (S020089)carts

all sealed, to suit Epson 800,850,1520 printers.

twenty squid inc postage...

BB

edited to say uk postage LOL

[Edited by beemerboy - 18/07/2003 15:33:48]
Old 21 July 2003, 10:03 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Well,I bought a HP Photosmart 7550 yesterday for the bargain price of £149.99 (In all the shops at £250 and on the web at £219) but Argos were selling them off for £150 but had sold out so I phoned our local John Lewis (Who offer a price matching policy on their website) and they checked with Argos to confirm the price and then said they'd match it.This was only after a conversation with one of their managers on the telephone though as his staff were telling me to find an Argos with it in stock which was gonna be difficult (Although I never told them that)
Quality is brilliant and it has a card reader together with a small LCD display where you view pics and increase brightness/rotate pic etc without even connecting it to a PC!!

Cheers

Nick

P.S: Cheapest place for HP photopaper is Argos too as they offer 40 sheets of 6x4 photo paper for £8.95 (It was £8.95 in John Lewis for 20 sheets ) and if you buy two lots (80 sheets) you get 40 free!!!! Bargain!!!!