Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Blockbusters Staff

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2003, 12:11 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I was in my local Blockbuster video store looking at the games sales section whne I overheard a young woman ask the staff if they had a gold game for the Gamecube (Err... Tiger woods anyone).
His reply was No, and they won't have any either because... and I quote:
"Nintendo are not making the gamecube anymore, there will be no more games after xmas, so we're selling all our stock and games cheap."
What a crock!
I told her that he's talking 'Immodium' and proceeded to inform her and her fella of the numerous games coming out over the next 6-12 months.
Told him that they can get Tiger Woods are Game for around £15 preowned. Also recommended some other games as they were interested in what games are good for the cube.
I'm sick of shop staff who want to make up sales in certain consoles by talking rubbish, even Game staff do it.
Old 09 July 2003, 12:21 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs down

Kn0bs
Old 09 July 2003, 01:36 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

They really are kn0bs if the first order. I got a game out on the other halfs card the other week, returned it a day late and just said ill pay the fine next time im in. No prob. 3 weeks later she who must be obeyed and starts ranting and raving and foaming at the mouth (ok last one isnt true lol) about how they (blockbusters) took the money due from her card, without so much as a reminder or anything. This took her over her limit and now has to pay £25 in charges. :angry: .

Can they do that ?
Old 09 July 2003, 02:48 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I didn't think you put bank details down on a membership application form?
If so then it must have somewhere on the form a paragraph that stats they will do this, otherwise you can get them done. What type of bank transaction was it? A DD, standing order, visa?
Cheap games/DVDs in the sale is the only reason I go to BB, I threw my membership card away years ago.
Old 09 July 2003, 03:37 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

It was on a Visa Credit card. Come to think of it, I dont remember her filling that in either. Hmmm. Will investigate
Old 09 July 2003, 03:44 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just get someone you know to pop into your local BB and pick up an application form, then give it to you and you can study it for any clauses and see exactly what details you fill out.
AFAIK when I filled out mine yonks ago it never asked for any bnak for credit card details, but that may have changed.
Old 09 July 2003, 03:48 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

From blockbuster.co.uk...

Becoming a member at your local Blockbuster High Street store is simple. All we require is for you to be aged 18* and for you to bring with you:

Two recent official documents. One showing your current address (e.g. a phone bill, bank statement, etc.) and one showing your signature (e.g. a Driver's Licence, Passport, etc.)
OR
A major credit card (Visa or MasterCard) or debit card (Switch, Visa Delta or Electron**).

Doesn't say anything about Absolutly requring a bank account/credit card as you could have brought valid official documents, at which point the bank/card details would not be brought into play.
Old 09 July 2003, 04:25 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Im not really sure how to play this now tbh. What would I say for instance, and how to word it (i know what id LIKE to say !)
Old 09 July 2003, 04:47 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Get a form, find out if it has details of your bank/card on it and if it mentions that it will debit your account if late with returns.
If it doesn't have the details on the form, ring head office and mention what's happened, try to remain calm and enquire as to how they can debit cards they don't know the details of (which is illegal)
If it does have card details on the form, ring Head office and explain the situation and ask to confirm your details (they should have your form details on the computer).

Old 10 July 2003, 03:58 PM
chockymonster
Scooby Regular

If you put down your credit card details on the membership form then they will store them on their system (ex blockbuster employee(I was a student ok!))
If you have an outstanding fee for more than 20 days they are then allowed to use your card to get the money.
It is in the T&C's when you sign up. It should have been explained to you as well, but seeing as they are usually a bunch of muppets (NOI to the muppets) I doubt it was explained that well
Old 11 July 2003, 02:36 PM
Tricky Dicky
Scooby Regular

Wink

Word of advice from Ex employee.....

If BB debit your account with the amount said.....go to your Bank
and ask if they can investigate this debit as you have NOT signed anything to that value and dont remember either.

They will then send of a request to Lloyds cardnet to get the keyed transaction and if NO signature is on the slip........................BINGO.........BB have to pay it back........its the law...takes about 1-2 months though.

Old 11 July 2003, 04:03 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

So how does it work when you buy mail order? They haven't got a signature then.
Old 11 July 2003, 04:35 PM
ChrisB

Do they (BB) not process it as CNP - Card/Cardholder/Customer Not Present? That's what happens on mail order transactions.

Info on CNP transactions in PDF, plus some bits from BMS

Chris
Writing a document on the new Chip & Pin credit card authorisation at the moment...
Old 11 July 2003, 08:51 PM
Da Booga
Scooby Regular

It depends on the agreement you have with the card machine company. My missus has just set up a swipe card terminal and she got sent with the agreement a breakdown of all different types of transactions she was and was not allowed to make.

Due to her neing a hair dresser she cannot make customer not present transactions etc. etc. So i'd assume Blockbuster would have to have something similar (but bigger of course) so it depends if they're allowed to accept this kind of transaction.

sorry it's not very well explained but i've had a few cans

gareth
Old 11 July 2003, 09:10 PM
Tricky Dicky
Scooby Regular

Yes.........i worked in HO Finance.....and that was the contract with Cardnet..no signature on the signed c/c receipt slip thus proving you had not signed for the debit to take place... then Cardnet would claim back the money as BB has not adhered to contract and then monies would be paid back to customer...all late fees are charged off as KEYED (this is in store we are talking NOT web based as i had left before this became live).

Hope this make sense.

BB use to lose roughly £10k a month through C/C fraud