Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

X-Box Hacked !!

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2003, 09:36 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

The guys at 'The Pheonix Project' have managed to hack the X-Box to run unsigned code on a machine with no modchip

Package includes:
* Signed EvoX V1.8.3752 Dashboard
* Bert.xtf (to be renamed to Xbox Book.xtf and replace existing file on HDD).
* Snuffleupagus.xtf (to be renamed to Xbox.xtf and replace existing file on HDD).
* The Pheonix Project EvoX skin.

Features
==========
By using our modifed Free-X exploit you can now run any unsigned code on your Xbox with the following runtime bios patches:
* F: Upgrade (means large HDD can now be used by Enigmah & Xecuter modchip owners too).
* Media Flag checks.
* EjectFix.

Compatibility Issues
======================
Only works with a 4034 retail bios.

Future Releases
=================
Customizable Bios profiles to work like a software only multibios modchip!
Sh!tloads more when we catch up on sleep!

Note: It looks like 'The Pheonix Project' is patching the kernel in memory directly in the .xft files. The Complex !Loader is patching the kernel in their .xbe file. So it looks like 2 different ways to do this.
And keep in mind both the !Loader patching as this 'The Pheonix Project' patching only works on xboxes with kernel 4034 retail. But I'm sure more support will come real soon

Any comments ?
Old 07 July 2003, 10:51 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

how do I know what BIOS my X-box is running
Old 07 July 2003, 10:59 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Smile

Hello Ian,

Goto the "Settings" option in the XBOX menu and select "Sytem Info". You will see lots of legal text.
At the end of the txt you will see something like
K: 1.00.xxxx.01
D: 1.00.yyyy.01
If you don't see this you still have one of the first xbox versions (3944 - USA only) , so it's a v1.0
If the xxxx = 4034 or 4036 or 4627 you have a v1.0
If the xxxx = 4817 or 4972 you have a v1.1
If the xxxx = 5101 you have a v1.2 or v1.3

Shouldn't be long now before it works on all kernals

This is all assuming its untweaked at the mo of course

[Edited by DJ Dunk - 7/7/2003 11:01:09 AM]
Old 07 July 2003, 11:07 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

4034!
Old 07 July 2003, 11:26 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Excellent Not checked mine yet, will have to take a peek

Keep and eye on the usual sites because I expect there'll be lots more news on the way !
Old 07 July 2003, 11:38 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

My usual sites are you and Druddle spilling the beans

I am most interested in the X-Box media player at the moment TBH
Old 07 July 2003, 11:41 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

www.xbox-scene.com is the site I use most

Almost always up, the tutorials are very good and the news is always up-to-date.
Old 07 July 2003, 03:07 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

COMMENTARY--Microsoft was well and truly stuck between a rock and a hard place in the weeks leading up to the public disclosure of a vulnerability that would allow Xbox owners to run Linux on the games console.
The hackers who coded the exploit and known collectively as Free-X only wanted one thing--for Linux to run on the Xbox.

They had found a way to make it workable, but realised the technique they had developed could also be used to pirate games, something they were keen to avoid.

So, they set about contacting Microsoft to discuss ways to work together to get Linux to run on the machine without threatening the intellectual property of Microsoft games developers. And that's when the wheels well and truly fell off.

It is still unclear if Microsoft's decision not to engage Free-X in a dialogue of any kind was deliberate. Had it refused to negotiate with Free-X because they were trying to bend Microsoft over the proverbial barrel? Or was it because the software giant didn't understand the seriousness of the situation? Or was it a simple case of non-existent clear lines of communication within Microsoft when it came to this type of issue?

It could have been because the company realised that no matter what it did, it would lose.

If Microsoft negotiated with Free-X and put out a signed Linux boot loader, which would let Xboxers run Linux without allowing piracy, it would be seen as an endorsement of the open source operating system. It would also mean that people buying the Xbox console, which is subsidised by Microsoft, could use it more or less out of the box as a PC. It would also mean putting Linux in front of a whole bunch of people who would otherwise never use it.

On the other hand, if it did nothing, the exploit would be released, piracy would become a walk in the park and games developers would lose out. So Microsoft could choose to give Linux a boost to the detriment of its core products, or see an increase in games piracy that will most likely affect sales.

Ignoring intent and focusing on effect, the end result of Microsoft's refusal to negotiate has been disastrous. Free-X released the exploit whilst making a whopping stink about how little Microsoft appeared to support the intellectual property of its game developers. Microsoft lost on both fronts--Linux will run on the Xbox, and piracy will increase.

Using the media to threaten Free-X with legal action--most likely under awful laws such as the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA)--probably didn't help Microsoft's cause on the security front either. Hackers, who had been reluctant to work with the vendor on security issues, will be even more afraid of legal action now, even though Microsoft has come forward in leaps and bounds in terms of addressing security issues in most of its non-Xbox products.

Unfortunately for Microsoft, the well-established image of an unresponsive behemoth that seeks to crush defenceless individuals who dares challenge its monopolistic position through innovation has been re-enforced...perhaps unnecessarily.

However, Microsoft has drawn a significant amount of support through the saga. Feedback has suggested that many found Free-X's approach to be one of blackmail. But the question then has to be asked--what alternative did Free-X have? It could be said they were caught between a rock and a hard place themselves if they wanted to do anything except ditch their research and never ever talk about it.

Now, we must wait to see what will happen next. It could be a few months of legal wrangling, of increased piracy, and possibly a rapid decline in backyard mod-chipping businesses. Or maybe, nothing will change after all
Old 07 July 2003, 04:05 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Wow DJ Dunk, you're really interested in this I take it.
Old 07 July 2003, 04:37 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Smile

Very interested, but its not my text, just a quote from ZDNet.
Old 07 July 2003, 05:20 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Yeah, yeah. Keep tellin yourself that

[Edited by rik1471 - 7/7/2003 5:21:06 PM]
Old 07 July 2003, 06:46 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Shut it sl@g
Old 07 July 2003, 10:07 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

Typical, 7 days after I get the mod chip I've been contemplating getting for the last year aswell