Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Which broadband service ??

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2003, 05:08 PM
brendy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which broadband service is best in Birmingham area - I cannot get NTL as it is a new build house.
Online checks with BT say I should get it with my number but when I input post code it says due to lack of demand in my area not available ?!
Is BT broadband good or which company should I use - they all seem to be similar pricewise. I am currently using Onetel for internet access - £12.99 per month unlimited which is pretty good.
Advice please.
Old 17 February 2003, 05:24 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Get Pipex - free ADSL modem, £19.99 a month, well established too.

Sign up now and put my details in the signup process for the refer a friend program and i'll send you £10 cash when your broadband connects

My details:

username: apvp33
phone no: 01942272044

If anyone else is signing up to Pipex use these details, email me @ rick@manchester.com and i'll send you £10 cash.

P.S. Figment - your mony's in the post 18th Feb.
Old 17 February 2003, 06:42 PM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

I think before Rik get's any more excitement you ought to contact BT to see whether your line is suitable as it seems to be in question.

I would give Pipex my vote too - Oh and you feel generous you could put my user details forward

http://www.xtreme.pipex.net/adsl/services/refer/

FAO Rik - You should be a bit more selective about flashing your account details about in your quest for free net time. You never Know who's reading
Old 17 February 2003, 10:02 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

What's the worst that could happen
Old 18 February 2003, 03:50 AM
Miles
Scooby Regular

What's the worst that could happen
If its a new build, the worst would be having an ADSL enabled exchange but with a fibre uplink.
Two colleagues of mine are cursing at the moment, as their telephone exchanges is enabled, but as they have fibre to their homes (house and flat in different parts of Aberdeen) no can do - apparently you can't get ADSL with fibre. My house has got good old fashioned copper .

Thumbs up to Pipex
Old 18 February 2003, 11:27 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

ADSL is a copper based technology - it uses a different frequency range to voice calls - hence the reason it can use your existing telephone line in most cases. As some people have pointed out, people like Pipex are really reselling the BT service. 99% of the time, you will be connecting to a BT exchange and using BT equipment to connect to the Pipex (or any other reseller) service. This will change, but at the moment, the most important thing would be to check that your local BT exchange has been enabled for ADSL.

Other options could include satellite based broadband. This uses a satellite connection for downloads and uploads are done via your phone line. There are a few services that are due to be launched in the UK. Do a Google search on it.

Cheers
Chris

[Edited by Chris L - 2/18/2003 11:28:34 AM]
Old 18 February 2003, 11:36 AM
Danger Mouse
Scooby Regular

have a look here http://www.adslguide.org.uk/. I use Pipex but Nildram are definetly worth a look.
Old 18 February 2003, 10:36 PM
trugoy
Scooby Regular

I have bt broadband and it is quick and reliable (the odd time I have noticed slow connections but I am told this can often be down to the server of the site you are trying to download, not your conn. slowing things down) It is expensive though, £80.00 for the modem and filters, £30.00 conn. charge and about £25.00 a month (you get some discount for direct debit payment and something else, can't remember what) Broadband is deffinatly worth having, it's much better, but looking around after I signed to bt I think you could get the same for less elsewhere, try a search for broadband and see what it comes up with, if price doesn't matter bt has worked for me.