Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Noisy Pc

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2003, 09:13 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apart from turning it off whats the easiest way to quieten my PC down. I've heard about changing fan/heatsink etc but which should be done first for most benefit.
Even the scoob is not as loud
Alas

[Edited by Alas - 1/15/2003 9:14:33 PM]
Old 15 January 2003, 09:27 PM
Jye_0
BANNED

Depends what processor your using and whats making the most noise. Intels are usually quieter than AMD's as they run cooler so dont need as noisy a fan.

PSU's usually make loads of noise so a quiet psu is a boon. Ive an Anatec Truepower 550 watt which is almost silent.

GFX fans can also be replaced with large passive hatsinks but I doubt thats yer prob.

A better ventilated case, ie with a few good qaulity but quiet fans say 2 drawing in air and 2 expelling it ala Lian-li or Coolermaster etc.

Fan regulators, soundproofing materials, better quality cpu fans or quiet kit like the Zalman kit which uses a v v large copper or aluminium heatsink and large offboard but slow and regulated(hence queit) fan, water cooling, vapochill (sort of like a fridge almost) cases etc The list is endless.

try http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/

They are based in Ayrshire (fly the flag, heh) are v v good, reasonably priced and I rate them above any other mail order supplier. They sell loads of quiet kit.

Good luck

[Edited by Jye_0 - 1/15/2003 9:30:46 PM]
Old 15 January 2003, 09:38 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Cheers m8
Its an athlon 1.6ghz.
2 fans inside it. 1 on casing which is quiet. One on the mainboard which is making all the noise.
Just opened it up to have a look.
Are these easy to change?
Alas
Old 15 January 2003, 09:43 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

yes, be sure to unplug the psu first and make sure you are not sat on an insulator. Try to keep some part of your body touching the case, especially when you first go inside the case.

All the above a precautions for static, which can have a nasty effect with your circitry.

The fans a simple case of a steel clip hooked onto the processor mount. press the lever to remove. Then just unplug it.

Simple, job done
Old 15 January 2003, 09:49 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Dont AMD fans generally sounds noisy at 6000rpm or something?

I know uni mates was well loud

SI
Old 15 January 2003, 11:27 PM
Stevep
Scooby Regular

Wink

A bit of Dynamat on the inside of the case will do the job :P
LOL

Steve
Old 16 January 2003, 09:25 AM
rob barron
Scooby Regular

Alas,

If you need to replace your CPU fan and a concerned about the noise it makes, then I would recommend that you replace it with a temperature-controlled fan.

Have a look at www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v9.htm

I've got one of these on my XP2200 and at full load the fan is only running at 1985RPM with a CPU temp of 36oC

The cheapest place I've found them is at www.extremecooling.co.uk/extreme/product?id=601107 only £17.60 Inc.
Well worth the money IMHO

Cheers,

Rob
P1 Web Owners Club
www.P1woc.co.uk
Old 16 January 2003, 09:33 AM
matt5cott
Scooby Regular

rob barron, you forgot to mention extreme cooling offers free delivery

As stated above the best bet is to switch your heatsink/fan just keep an eye on your temps afterwards
Old 16 January 2003, 11:42 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alas,

The noise of my PC is bugging me too. I ran a 60mm fan @ 5000rpm+ and it was a right noisy begger. I made an adapter and installed a slower, but larger fan (80mm). The noise level dropped quite a lot and the CPU temperature dropped a few more degrees too.

Stefan

Old 16 January 2003, 01:41 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys
I think I'll order a new fan as suggested and see if that makes the difference then.
Thanks
Alasdair
Old 16 January 2003, 02:17 PM
rob barron
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Alas,

If you do decide to go for the Thermaltake Volcano 9, make sure you use some decent Heat Sink Compound like Artic Silver 3

Cheers,

Rob
P1 Web Owner Club
www.p1woc.co.uk

Old 16 January 2003, 07:11 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Hate to be thick again but what the hell is Heatsink Compound??
Alas
Old 16 January 2003, 09:13 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

It's the stuff that sits between the CPU and the heatsink.

The surface of a CPU or a heatsink is never entirely flat; if you place a heatsink directly on a CPU, there will be tiny (invisible) gaps between the two. Since air conducts heat poorly, these gaps have a very negative effect on the heat transfer.

Therefore, an interface material with a high thermal conductivity is needed to fill these gaps, and thus improve heat conductivity.

When is the interface material especially important?

The more heat your CPU produces, the more important it is to use a good interface material. In other words, if you're overclocking, then you especially need it.

Another important thing: The thermal conductivity from a metal surface to another metal surface is better than from a ceramic surface to a metal surface. Therefore, if you have a "ceramic" CPU without the metal plate, then thermal compound is even more important.

What are popular thermal interface materials?

The most commonly used interface material in the electronics cooling area is thermal compound, a sticky paste applied directly on the heatsink or CPU. A good-quality thermal compound will provide the best possible performance. However, the disadvantage of thermal compound is that it is quite messy to handle, and therefore not suitable for mass production.

For this reason, most heatsink manufacturers ship their heatsinks with a "thermal pad", which is supposed to replace thermal compound. Cheap heatsinks usually come with silver/grey graphite pads. Graphite pads are inexpensive, but provide poor performance (unless a high pressure is applied to the pad, which is not the case when the CPU and heatsink are installed in a regular way). A graphite pad is better than no interface material at all, though.
Stefan
Old 16 January 2003, 09:18 PM
Jye_0
BANNED

Its a thermal paste, used to help make a better contact between cpu die and heatsink. You smear a very very small ammount between the heatsink and the processor die. By v small ammount I mean only microns thick as its only meant to smooth out microscopic ridges, pores etc on the die/heatsink. I use Arctic Silver II and use a credit card to smear it carefully onto the die. Be sure u dont move it all about when attatching the HS again.
Old 16 January 2003, 10:32 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

WHAT, CANT HEAR YOU.

Ear defenders ?
Old 17 January 2003, 12:19 AM
Andy Mid.
Scooby Regular

When I got my new comp last year it was a hell of a lot louder than my old one so I had a look inside. It had 5 fans running, two of which were used just to pump air around inside but one of those was a really noisy.

I downloaded Asus PC Probe to check temps and then disconnected the noisy fan. Temps went up a little bit but it was still stable and the noise dropped loads so that was a "free" improvement.

Also, have a look here http://www.quietpc.com
Old 17 January 2003, 02:38 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Ordered the Volcano9 yesterday. Got it today!!
Fitted and although does make a diiference PC is still a noisy *&%$£"*. Think I need to build a cupboard to keep it in
Cheers all
Alasdair
Old 17 January 2003, 02:57 PM
rob barron
Scooby Regular

Question

Alas,

What mode are you operating the Volcano 9 in??

Rob
P1 Web Owners Club.
www.P1woc.co.uk
Old 17 January 2003, 06:46 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Operating it with the temp sensor. Actually seems a bit quiter tonight, maybe it was because I was fitting & running it and had forgotten how loud the old fan (about 1/3 of the size) was.
Cheers
Alas