Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

x box MOH frontline

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2002, 07:34 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the PC game MOH - allied assault(fantastic)

is the x-box game the same thing ? should i get it?
Old 13 December 2002, 11:18 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Smile

I saw this the other day too, after the raves of MOH on PC I wondered if it was worth buying - anyone got it?
Old 13 December 2002, 11:33 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Lightbulb

Read some reviews.

Apparently its rather disappointing with its PS2-like poor textures etc. The multiplayer mode is also dissapointing.

If you just want a port of the PS2 version without utilising the power of the X-Box then its sounds worth getting, but don't expect an improvement on other versions.

Apart from that, great game
Old 13 December 2002, 11:36 AM
dogmaul
Scooby Regular

When people say that War Is Hell, they're just not being specific enough. Do they mean the horrific, terrifying atrocities of the battlefield, where thousands of nice men with wives and daughters are forced to murder one another at the whims of politicians? Or a dull, linear first-person shooter with international conflict as its backdrop, that tries to put players into the boots of a WW2 soldier embroiled in the thick of the things, but fails miserably? We'll be specific: we're talking about the latter.

The first level of Frontline, though stolen wholesale from the opening minutes of Saving Private Ryan, does have atmosphere in spades, setting a tremendous scene of gritty, mortal combat. But once you step out of the cut-scene, and receive your first objective - provide cover for your men by firing in the general direction of some pillbox gun emplacements - it stops feeling like a threatening war zone and turns into yet another session of hand-holding, line walking, one-plot-fits-all gaming. Learn your lines, soldier, and you should be just fine.

Your tasks are all basically the same: go there, and mow down a bunch of ***** on the way. By the second level, you've gone from vulnerable cannon fodder, to squad-less superhuman murder machine, laying waste to dozens of imbecilic ***** in completing dull tasks.

The encounters with the enemy are just as likely to let you down as the mass-produced factory-issue rifles. You never feel like you're in a proper fight, and instead just push people over with bullets to stop them doing the same to you. Collision detection feels iffier than a recently filled sick bag, and the whole thing just isn't satisfying enough.

EA have tried to craft a decent mood with some cinematic orchestra noise (and it's mostly great, but does get a bit too Star Was at times) and there's a thick layer of grimy, but squeamish, authenticity. We say squeamish but for all its pretensions of being some kind of bolshy, accurate portrayal of the hardship of war, there's no blood. One of the best things about Saving Private Ryan is that it wasn't afraid to rip out the guts of combat victims and dangle them right before your grimacing face. There's not a splash of gore to be found in Frontline, even though bodies fly left and right like lottery *****, and it gives the whole game a plasticky, toy-like feel.

This isn't war. Now Halo, that's war. Bloody, screaming, pulse-pounding, scrappy, take-cover-and pray combat despite there being no pretence of realism whatsoever. Frontline is just a dull, slightly awkward action figure of a game, with genuine Battle Fatigues. You couldn't take it any less seriously if it was cel-shaded, and featured a kill-o-meter special bar. TimeSplitters 2 wazzes all over this, while wearing a pirate hat and making childish machine guns noises. Sign yourself up for that instead.

War may be hell, but if people want you to pay £45 to take part in what is essentially an ungainly re-enaction of a period drama, they should find a way of making it enjoyable.

Verdict: 5/10

Old 13 December 2002, 01:17 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

I take it thats a NO from dogmaul

[Edited by gravelexpress - 12/13/2002 1:18:08 PM]
Old 13 December 2002, 01:17 PM
dogmaul
Scooby Regular

that was from some xbox mag shame as i really liked the look of it
Old 13 December 2002, 01:50 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

bugga - give that a miss then.

Damn them and their straight PS2 ports, we could have a much better games if they weren't lazy
Old 13 December 2002, 02:43 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

I have MOH on PC and I think it's excellent. The normandy landing level has a real atmosphere to it and had me really taken in.

I honestly enjoy 1st person shooters on my PC. Probably because it's 3times faster than any games console available.
Old 13 December 2002, 02:45 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Is that new MOH for PC just an add on or a new game?

Anyone have it? Comments..
Old 13 December 2002, 03:09 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Wink

Its an add on - Santas bringing it to me for Xmas so I shall know whether its any good then.
Old 13 December 2002, 04:24 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

whats that Rik 1471 - is there an expansion for the PC version? because it did end sort of abruptly when you reach the box car