Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

X-Box or PS2 for a 10yr old ?

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2002, 05:12 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Christmas question, we already have PS1's and games (lots) and were intending to get a PS2. He's now seen Halo and decided he wants this. I still think the PS2 would be the better system for him - I think it has more/cheaper games and isn't as techy as the X-box.

Will Halo appear on PS or PC platform ?.

I also hear there's a PS3 on the horizon ?

Any comments ?

Kevin.
Old 23 November 2002, 05:39 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

I've got an xbox and it's wicked, but for a child I reckon the PS2 is the better option, especially as you've got the PS1 games to play already.

Besides, all his friends will have a PS2 for swapping/borrowing games.
Old 23 November 2002, 07:17 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

id say PS2 i hated the Xbox controls......

Just to add Xbox 2 on the horison wouldnt get excited there a few year away mate

Si
Old 23 November 2002, 07:30 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I've got an XBox (but I'm 29!!!)

For a 10yr old, I've got to admit the best option is the PS2....

I would love to say XBox, but not enough games for that age are available - XBox are more mature at present.....

I wouldn't worry about XBox 2 or PS3 - apparently in a few years time XBox 3 and PS4 will be out You could always wait for them...

Dan
Old 24 November 2002, 12:58 AM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

Ask yourself what games your son is into.

For FPS like Halo the X-box is a good choice (Halo, timespltters2 & Unreal torny).

It's also got quite a few excellent extreme sports games (TH2, 3 & 4, Amped, SSX tricky, couple of surfing games, JSRF etc)

Plenty of vgood car racing games (CM3, Project Gotham, Sega GT)

A few good fighting adventures (Buffy, Spiderman)

My Eight year old son loves the X-box, his cousin has a PS2 and the only game he is envious over is GTA3 Vice city (which I hope will be out on the PC soon )

Plus if you get an X-box you can play Halo yourself and the X-box only Splinter cell which looks another AAA title.

Rich
Old 24 November 2002, 01:10 AM
stevenuk300
Scooby Regular

Talking

I currently have a PS2, and I would recommend one to anyone. The is a hard drive this will be available soon for it aswell, so the spec will be very close to the XBOX, but with the PS2 having a wider range of games. The rumour on the next playstaion is scheduled for 2004.
Old 25 November 2002, 12:13 PM
NumptyScrub
Scooby Regular

The PS2 will play all the old PS1 games. Other than that, get whichever you like the look of, as most independants publish for both platforms (Timesplitters2, Red Faction 2 etc. etc.).

For bouncy young audience type games, Nintendo (ie the GameCube) have been catering to that market for years.

Derek
Old 25 November 2002, 01:22 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Red face

My Eight year old son loves the X-box, his cousin has a PS2 and the only game he is envious over is GTA3 Vice city

GTA:VC is an 18 cert - surely you shouldn't let your kids on it, especially not at 8

My missus is a teacher, and the amount of her 9 yr olds with this game is unbelievable - parents seem to laugh it off.
Old 25 November 2002, 10:31 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

Like it or loathe it GTA3 is a brilliant piece of software and excellent entertainment, its appeal covers a broad age range despite the content.

My nephew is 12yrs old and his mum is a teacher also, as you say an awful lot of children of this age range also play this game.

Different people have different ideas of what is appropriate for their children. I know my nephews parents would never condone the viewing of real life material with similar content of GTA3.

They assume their son can distinguish between real life and a game and will not grow up to be a gun toting car thief just by playing a game.

Rich

Old 26 November 2002, 12:53 AM
Huffer
Scooby Regular

Halo is R16 here, so no way a 10 year old should be playing it. The Xbox currently has more "mature" themed games, even some of the platformer-adventure ones are quite dark.

PS2 will help with reverse compatibility with your old games.

Halo is due to be released on the PC in 2003 - it'll be slightly beefier, but not much, as Halo 2 is to be released 2003 for the Xbox.

Also, the Xbox has a superior online capability - providing you don't modchip your Xbox. Sony doesn't provide much online content.

Put it this way - Microsoft deal entirely with computer and console technology (ok PDAs), whereas Sony have to contend with a massively diverse product range (tvs, phones, etc) so they can't possibly compete at the same level in terms of software investment.

I say leave your kid with a PS1, and send him out to play some sport or bike riding instead! Fresh air never killed anyone!

(Yes, I have an Xbox, and I'm 26. And I've been playing games since I was 6 and had an Atari... )
Old 26 November 2002, 09:17 AM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

You could buy him a Gameboy Advance, then he can play his games outside, has fresh air and the games!! *LOL*
Seriously, Xbox has the best value of them all (see new bundle). My guess is: If your kid has already seen Halo and is all hyped about it, I am sure that sooner or later he still ends up at his friends house playing it! (Could be me at his age)
Otherwise, get him a Nintendo Gamecube since this one is a little bit more focused on a younger audience and still new!
BTW, Microsoft will release Xbox2 at the same time/if not earlier than PS3 (2004/5).
Old 26 November 2002, 12:29 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Well that's cleared that up then ! Didn't realise HALO was a 16yr rating.

Looks like the PS2, let's see if Sony follow the X-Box package price cut

Thanks

Kevin.
Old 26 November 2002, 01:47 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Kevin - IIRC, Sony have said there will be no price cut this side of Christmas.

See here: http://www.gamesdomain.co.uk/news/8728.html

Den