Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

PS2 Any good???

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2001, 03:13 PM
George W Bush
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am contemplating PS2 is it really worth it? Have had everything from ZX81 to Dreamcast. Found the Dreamcast a bit pants and never really played it. Will I play the PS2????-or wait for the X-Box or whatever comes next?

Thanks.
Old 04 October 2001, 06:25 PM
scoobylover
Scooby Regular

Talking

ps2 is cool, especially gt3 but personnally after playing a majority of consoles i would wait.

the x-box or the nintendo gamecube's graphics look far more superior to the ps2, but at the end of the day it depends on wot u wanna spend on one and how patient u are.
Old 04 October 2001, 06:26 PM
phd
Scooby Regular

Don't touch the RED button!!!!
Old 05 October 2001, 09:26 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

I did. Remember it plays DVD too, and old PS1 stuff. It is now ready for wiring on line and so long as you don't press the red button......
Old 06 October 2001, 09:55 AM
scoobylover
Scooby Regular

Cool

excuse my ignorance, wot red button!!!!!!!
ok it plays dvd, but the quality of picture and sound are no where near as good as a dvd player, tv and surround sound.
Old 06 October 2001, 03:36 PM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

Wink

Wait for the XBOX!!
The only reason for me to get PS2 would be:
- GT3
- Metal Gear Solid 2.
On XBOX you can expect:
- Colin Mc Rae 3
- SEGA GT 2
- Soul Calibur 2
- Dead or Alive 3
- Metal Gear X
XBOX should be out on 15 Nov. 2001 (US) and one of those wll be in my living room soon after!!!!
Danny
Old 06 October 2001, 05:29 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I Agree. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

I have always been put off of the the PS2 due to the fact that they skimped on the graphical hardware and a couple of other little odds&sods. Unfortunatly, i was extremely bored walking around Guildford with the other half today and got enticed into buying a PS2 with GT3. Plumbed it all in and confirmed my fears........

The Xbox will rule, at least until the next best thing comes out......

Have you seen the latest screenies from Unreal Championship on the Xbox? This will cast all of you doubts aside.......

Cheers,

Nick
Old 06 October 2001, 05:31 PM
phd
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by scoobylover:
<B>excuse my ignorance, wot red button!!!!!!!
ok it plays dvd, but the quality of picture and sound are no where near as good as a dvd player, tv and surround sound.[/quote]

"Red Button" + George W Bush =

Failed attempt at humour

Old 06 October 2001, 05:38 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Old 06 October 2001, 06:30 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I hear sony are bringing out a 40 gb hard drive for the ps2, this should close some of the gap between it the x box and game cube.

Besides the ps2's worth buying for gt3 and devil may cry.
Old 06 October 2001, 07:00 PM
FLYINGBRICK
Scooby Newbie

Question

What have you been waiting for!!!$299dvd player,ps one & ps2 all in one bundle!
I know the US launch is just around the corner but have you seen the release titles
for both machines?It's the same old story.If you buy a console early there will be very few decent games available,regardless of who's name is on the front!You will probably get a price drop Stateside to bring you inline with Uk and Japanese prices.You will be better off buying your X~BOX or GAMECUBE in about 6/9 months time.
Old 07 October 2001, 01:23 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Question

Not as good as dvd player TV and surround sound?

If you have TV and surround sound, it is a DVD player with dts optical cable connection.
Old 07 October 2001, 03:00 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

After being a PS1 devotee, I bit the bullet and bought a high-spec PC. I have never looked back.

When the PS2 came out, I wanted one, but I had the same scenario a few years back (buying a console for one game - the 3DO with Need For Speed & Wing Commander 3),

I tried out GT3 in ToysRUs and hmmmm...very disappointed. Slow (in general), and blocky graphics (in comparision to my G-Force2 GTS!! )

Wifey wanted to buy me one for Chrimbo, but I've said not to - I'd rather wait for a decent driving game on the PC....

I'd at least wait for the X-Box (again, but like the Apple G4 Cube - a computer in a box!), therefore, just buy a PC!!!

Just my 2p,

Dan
Old 07 October 2001, 08:56 PM
Hex
Scooby Regular

yeah, PC's got to be the way to go, I'm still running a P3 450 with a Voodoo 3 graphics card in it and reckon the graphics still woop the PS2's ***, and with games like Max Payne out it makes the purchase of a hi spec pc worth while.

Neil

I'll still be looking at a XBox for Xmas tho!
Old 08 October 2001, 08:03 AM
scoobylover
Scooby Regular

we picked up our jap version of the gamecube this weekend and i must admit its brill, so much better than the ps2. the quality of graphics is fantastic, so after playing the gamecube i'd wait and get one of those.
Old 08 October 2001, 09:24 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
You lot make me chuckle. Main concern regarding the PS2 is the graphics?? Surely playability should come first and the games for the station have to be the most playable on the market.

It's the same argument that a lot of people on here use against the MY01, It's not good looking enough?? What's that all about!!

Just my 2p.
Old 08 October 2001, 09:53 AM
scoobylover
Scooby Regular

Talking

the gamecube also has better playability than the ps2, the only decent game on the ps2 is gt3 but thats about it. since getting the ps2 i have hardly played it cos its not entertaining enough, but since getting the gamecube i just wanna play it loads. i suppose everyone has their own opinion on consoles and games and what they like.
Old 09 October 2001, 08:10 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

The majority of games for the x-box will also have pc versions as the technology is the same (although xbox is using what will eventually become geforce 4 graphics card).

What would worry me is that if pc hardware keeps moving as fast as it does, the xbox hardware will go out of date fairly quickly unless theres an upgrade path.

Unless Microsoft pays people like nvidia to NOT release new graphics cards etc so it does not negate the xbox instantly.

I have both the ps2 and the gamecube, and for those of you worried about the ati graphics part, don't be. Luigi's mansion is simply stunning, in fact its a better launch title than the three games my ps2 came with.

In fact i havent even turned my ps2 on in the last 2 months, i've got about 12 games for it but none are addictive enough for me to keep playing it, even gt3 bores me now.
Old 09 October 2001, 10:32 AM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I totally agree with Jack Clark regarding graphics and playability, but graphics can add some more fun. I am a big SEGA fan and I really enjoy playing with the Dreamcast. It showed us tons of creative games compared to the PS2 (so far)!! Same goes for Nintendo, they showed us aswell that they can produce very nice playable stuff. The only thing that bothers me about Nintendo are the potencial buyers they are focusing at (below 20 years? Ok, there were some exceptions like goldeneye, perfect dark. Maybe they will change with the Gamecube). What I am basically looking for is a Dreamcast-like console which will be more successful and that will be the XBOX. And NO, the XBOX has nothing to do with a PC!!!
Cheers to all (gamers for this time).
Danny
Old 09 October 2001, 11:24 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Swiss scooby, what did you mean by 'And NO, the XBOX has nothing to do with a PC!!!'

In the test lab i was being approached to manage the xbox games were initally being tested on a high bred pc platform, not on xbox consoles themselves, as most of the hardware and the os is a cut down derivative of pc.

Halo and most launch titles for xbox will run on a pc as well, but Microsoft have agreed deals with the developers not to publish the pc versions UNTIL after the xbox launch so that it has some titles specific to xbox and not negate the launch.
Old 09 October 2001, 12:56 PM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

A PC *can* play games of course, and do a lot of other things as well. To play games to the same quality as a PS2, you'll have to pay a lot more for a PC, but it can do so much more.

But you have to load Windows (or some other operating system) before you can run your games and other things are running all the time, occasionally interrupting gameplay.

So for me:
PC: online games (UT, Legend of Mir, Helbreath), spreadsheets, letters etc
PS2: GT3, SSX

Isn't an X-box based on PC technology?

Kevin.
Old 09 October 2001, 01:55 PM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

Smile

ptholt,
what I meant by xbox not being a PC was mainly because a lot of people compared the xbox to Microsofts PCs/Programs:
- Only a few PC-Games will be transferred to the xbox. (Microsoft says: It is defenately a console, not a PC!)
- Menue guideing is different on the xbox. (Not Window like!)
Hhmm.. that's about it . I personally think that we shouldn't compare PC's with Consoles!
Please check out: 'www.gamefaqs.com' it's a forum with lots of discussion/threats regarding this. 'www.ign.com' usually also a good source!
Sorry, I am not an IT person, I just like playing games (..video that is! ).
Cheers
Danny
Old 09 October 2001, 09:15 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Fair comment swiss scooby, MS are trying desperately to pit the xbox at console gamers and don't want peeps like me saying its a hybrid pc

Interestingly, having seen one in the flesh the damn thing is huge!!
Roughly about the same size as............ er........ a small desktop pc! doh better not say that.... lets say a top of the range sony dvd player

Seriously tho, it is VERY chunky, hence why most of the shots doing the rounds are cleverly taken or have a controller in front with a distance between it and the xbox to give the impression its smaller.
Old 10 October 2001, 03:50 PM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ptholt,
I agree with you regarding the monster-size of this "PC" (Ooops!).
Anyway, Better to have a big black box instead of having an additional heating 'Radiator' . (PS2)
Cheers
Danny
Old 11 October 2001, 02:48 PM
George W Bush
BANNED

Against all your advice my girlfriend bought me one on Saturday. My initial impressions are very good, GT3 is excellent. I didn't get the same sinking feeling when I switched it on as I did with the Dreamcast - should keep me occupied for a while.
Old 11 October 2001, 03:13 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ScoobyDoo555:
<B>After being a PS1 devotee, I bit the bullet and bought a high-spec PC. I have never looked back.

[/quote]

Great - Where do I get a high spec pc for 200 quid. One with DTS and a DVD player is preferably....
Old 11 October 2001, 06:10 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by fast bloke:
<B>
Great - Where do I get a high spec pc for 200 quid. One with DTS and a DVD player is preferably.... [/quote]

Who mentioned ANYTHING about getting a high-spec pc for £200?????? NOT ME m8!!!!

Although, you CAN upgrade an existing PC for £200 to get a faster processor (1.2GHz Athlon for about £90 & G-Force2 GTS card for £110 - if you know the right people )

I'd get back to the muppet-collective if I were you

Dan

Old 15 October 2001, 05:27 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Am I a cattaracted easy going old fogey or something? The graphics on GT3 are bloody lovely - higher res than my digital cable service! We ain't talking Commodore 64 here you know!

My flat mate moving & is taking the dedicated DVD player with him soon -is my the Ps2 'replacement' DVD player weak here? Pix seem fine to me & connects to TV in Y U V (colour difference signals) pukka component with digital optical audio out to the rest of my kit...

And I thought I was a fussy bugger!!!

(Out of curiosity, what is the speed and memory of the Ps2 - any ideas?)

D