Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

How can I access home pc from work or vice versa?

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2002, 12:22 AM
CC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi

Some advice appreciated please - I'd like to be able to remotely access my pc in work from home and vice versa, via the internet. My work pc is a workstation on a LAN, my home pc is not. I know the ip of my work pc, my home pc's ip is dynamic but obviously easy to find.

We use VNC at work to access pc's on our LAN but I tried accessing my work pc from home, using it's ip address, with no joy .

Anything appreciated (as long as it aint nasty )...
Old 11 September 2002, 01:00 AM
suba
Scooby Regular

maybe your work network is firewall protected? can you ping to your PC at work?
Old 11 September 2002, 04:48 PM
CC
Scooby Regular

no Suba i cannot ping my work pc from home, tracert gets so far but then stops at our isp

good explanation Puff, thx, will look into it...
Old 12 September 2002, 01:24 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I use VPN to get access at home, to my works systems and files (via a CITRIX server).

Nice and fast on my ADSL link as well.

Old 12 September 2002, 01:31 PM
chockymonster
Scooby Regular

I tunnel an X session over SSH, but I'm assuming you use Windows at home.
Easiest thing to do would be use something like www.myip.org to get a url that will always point at your dynamic address.

You'll need to know if VNC is allowable through the firewall on the way out, otherwise you are stuffed. As for getting back in, as a network admin I never let a home user access their work pc from home.
Old 14 September 2002, 12:44 PM
CC
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

great info again guys , plenty to get my teeth into!

Thanks...
Old 17 September 2002, 03:21 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

I installed a browser based program called Remotely Anywhere on my pc at home.

If your company network uses a Proxy Server to access the Internet then just find out what port they use.

We use port 80 so I set my Remotely Anywhere to listen on Port 80 and voila....can Remotely Takeover my pc via works network / my broadband through IE5

Old 09 November 2002, 09:00 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I would probably suggest that your PC @ work was on a Lan that then accessed a router to get to the Internet. It is NOT a good idea to have your works network directly on the Internet for very obvious security reasons. Hopefully they have a firewall & DMZ in place too.

Best (IMHO) way of doing this over the Internet is to have VPN tunneling into the works LAN from home, then use VNC to access your PC. However, if you use VPN, you should have access to all the resources (files etc) on the LAN anyway, so VNC good for remote control of w/stations & servers - but that might be sufficient for you anyway.

If you're using a dial-up with variable IPs at home then more of a problem - in fact not doable - to VNC home from work over the internet. Unless you have access to a modem @ work & you set up something like pcAnywhere to answer your home PC after dialing in direct & start a session that way. Not over the internet though, but allows remote control of home PC.

[Edited by Puff The Magic Wagon! - 9/11/2002 9:02:53 AM]
Old 09 December 2002, 01:36 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You do have a firewall at home, right? Last thing you wanna do is leave any listening ports open on your PC.

If the IT bods are worth their salt, then they'll have blocked everything and only let "authorised stuff" through the firewall.

If you use the VNC client it'll need access to ports 59xx (5900 being the default). You can also use a web browser to connect to a VNC host using port 58xx (5800 being the default).

I use a VPN to make a secure connection, then I can run anything over the top of it like VNC, pcAnywhere or even Terminal Services.

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 9/12/2002 1:38:06 PM]