Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Mac OS how to turn off charging chime on m1 mba?

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2022, 11:30 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Question Mac OS how to turn off charging chime on m1 mba?

Got an m1 2021 macbook air running big sur and one thing that annoys the **** out of me is the charging chime when its powered off and you plug the power cable in and it chimes every few seconds. I've trawled google and not found any solution to switch off such an annoying 'feature' specific to big sur/m1 mba. Does anyone know how to disable it for good?

The battery life is superb but completely unneccessary annoyances like the charging chime are going to lead me to sell the effing thing and just use my more powerful windows laptop for everything with the offset of much less battery life.
Old 07 January 2022, 04:00 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't know what that as I'm too tight to upgrade mine, but why are you turning it off?
Old 07 January 2022, 05:31 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

So when the macbook is off and the power plugged in every few seconds it makes a chiming noise. It's incredibly annoying. It's turned off as i'm not using it and it will charge quicker than being left on. I've already disabled the power on chime but it doesn't stop the charging chime. I can't understand what was going though the mind of the person who thought it was a great idea to implement it in the OS!
Old 19 January 2022, 08:42 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I saw this on reddit to help fix it - "I’m on an M1 Max. I only have the one power brick. To get the issue to go away, I opened up the lid and let it charge to 1% with the lid open. Then I closed the lid and the beeping and blinking stopped." and "It seems that the beeping occurs when the MacBook is not fully charged, turned off and then plugged in. If the MacBook is plugged in and charging, and then turned off, the orange light remains steady and there’s no beeping. At least, that’s how my M1 Max is behaving."

whole thread is here - https://www.reddit.com/r/macbook/com..._is_shut_down/
The following users liked this post:
Old 22 January 2022, 11:06 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
I saw this on reddit to help fix it - "I’m on an M1 Max. I only have the one power brick. To get the issue to go away, I opened up the lid and let it charge to 1% with the lid open. Then I closed the lid and the beeping and blinking stopped." and "It seems that the beeping occurs when the MacBook is not fully charged, turned off and then plugged in. If the MacBook is plugged in and charging, and then turned off, the orange light remains steady and there’s no beeping. At least, that’s how my M1 Max is behaving."

whole thread is here - https://www.reddit.com/r/macbook/com..._is_shut_down/
Cheers i'd accidentally come across that as it's not chiming whilst charging but was trying to work out why and the above explains the difference. it's ridiculous the sound can't be switched off.
Old 27 January 2022, 10:01 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

That's one thing I've not done on my M1 MacBook Air, to shut it down. I've restarted it a few times and usually just let it go into sleep mode when not in use. No chiming whatsoever during a charge in sleep mode. Personally I've not seen the need to power it off, especially as it hardly looses any charge even after a few days in sleep mode.