Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

How do Apple get away with it?!

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2015, 06:10 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Default How do Apple get away with it?!

I have a perfectly looked after iPad 2. I keep it streamlined, hardly any apps or pics, just use it for Internet browsing.

I'd put off updating it for ages because I've had iPhones since the first one and know what the updates seem to do.

Yep, updated it a few weeks ago to the latest version. Why oh why did I do it!

I upgraded to an iPhone 6 from a 4s because the updates were killing my phone off. Their products seem well made and would last for many years if Apple somehow didn't manage to render them useless!

My iPhone 6 runs perfectly with the new update, my 'old' iPad is now sooo laggy it's not even funny.

How they get away with it is beyond me, it's blatant that the newer software renders the older phones and iPads slow to the point you have to upgrade
Old 18 July 2015, 06:21 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

iOS9 is streamlined for older devices, they listened.
Old 18 July 2015, 06:22 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Cos they can
Old 18 July 2015, 06:44 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I usually like ios because all games will run on your device no mater how long ago you bought them unlike android! Yet I have an older ipod 2nd gen touch I keep in the car for music and I was going to put a few stupid games on like say Sheep launcher or fling to pass the time if I wanted to use it.

No games will run on the older 4.? software. I think I managed to get doodle jump on and that's it. I like apple products but the fact that they are just making older models obsolete isn't good. I wonder how long before the older ipads are just really a music player same as my ipod.
Old 18 July 2015, 07:11 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its hardly just an apple thing though is it google do it with android also microsoft and other makers too.

Wish i had all the latest apps on Microsoft pda i bought 11 years ago
Old 18 July 2015, 07:21 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I didnt want to put the latest ones on I just wanted to put the simple ones on that worked before I reset the ipod.
Old 18 July 2015, 08:20 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Hate to say it but no computer type device like pads/smart phones etc is really designed to be used for more than a few years, tech moves on way too fast. DOesnt matter if its apple, microsoft, android etc

Trending Topics

Old 18 July 2015, 08:45 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebt
I didnt want to put the latest ones on I just wanted to put the simple ones on that worked before I reset the ipod.
The app developers choose to not support older devices.
Old 18 July 2015, 10:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You think this is bad?

My last Samsung phone was a POS, constantly freezing, locking etc.

Virgin told me it was because I'd downloaded apps or because I had a memory card in it with music on.

Needless to say...no more Samsung for me.
Old 19 July 2015, 01:25 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jameswrx
I have a perfectly looked after iPad 2. I keep it streamlined, hardly any apps or pics, just use it for Internet browsing.

I'd put off updating it for ages because I've had iPhones since the first one and know what the updates seem to do.

Yep, updated it a few weeks ago to the latest version. Why oh why did I do it!

I upgraded to an iPhone 6 from a 4s because the updates were killing my phone off. Their products seem well made and would last for many years if Apple somehow didn't manage to render them useless!

My iPhone 6 runs perfectly with the new update, my 'old' iPad is now sooo laggy it's not even funny.

How they get away with it is beyond me, it's blatant that the newer software renders the older phones and iPads slow to the point you have to upgrade
If you have not done this already, back up the device, then perform a full restore of the OS on it, then restore from backup. See if it's still laggy.

Yes, I know you should not have to do this, but sometimes it does help. I've had a couple of devices at work that were upgraded and performed poorly, after a full restore they're running fine.

Some could claim Apple is doing this on purpose to force people to upgrade, and there might be a small grain of truth in that, but in reality its more likely to be that new OS versions are more complex and more demanding on the hardware, hence why new devices seem to be quicker than the last generation, and the old devices simply cannot keep up.

I suspect iOS 10 will drop the iPad 2, iPhone 4S and 1st gen iPad mini. Somewhat surprised they didn't kill off the iPad 2 and 4S with 9 though.