Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Are these holograms?

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2012, 10:24 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are these holograms?

I have noticed these appearing on my car. All I have done is washed it, no polishing yet, with a hose, 2 buckets and a noodle mit.

I have also noticed the same thing on my brother in laws Range Rover I washed and polished two weeks ago. It was very dull so I used Autoglym SRP which brought back some shine but there was still a lot of these on it.

I was led to believe that holograms are finer, closer together versions of swirl marks but if this was the case why did I still get them on the Range Rover?

Old 08 April 2012, 10:30 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without doubt yes mate,fine grade compound or a good quality anti-holigram machine polish will sort it out
Old 08 April 2012, 10:49 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Thats on a Mercedes which has very hard paint so Im hoping the Autofinesse glaze I have will cover it as I dont have a machine polisher. The issue Im having is working out what is causing it as I take a lot of care over how I wash it. Wouldnt SRP have covered this as I thought it was a good filler.
Old 10 April 2012, 10:22 PM
shanew
Scooby Regular

Pop along to the Maxolen unit in Leeds and we'll show you products that will sort you out.
Give Chris a ring on 07985854250 if you want to come as were not generally open to the public
Old 10 April 2012, 10:35 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

What sort of products and what sort of price are we talking?
Old 10 April 2012, 10:38 PM
shanew
Scooby Regular

have a look here http://www.maxolen.co.uk for a rough idea. Pretty much a product for anything, including ceramic paint which is most likely what you have on the merc.
Old 10 April 2012, 10:42 PM
shanew
Scooby Regular

this is the results of a polish with violet wax
Old 10 April 2012, 10:49 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Very nice, is that done with a machine polisher or by hand? I recently spent £100 on Autofinesse glaze and wax from Polished bliss as I was told that this was the best approach considering I dont have a machine polisher. I have only used it on the bonnet so far and dont have holograms on that but I cant be sure if it actually had any on it before or not.

My main concern at the moment is working out whats caused it - if its me or if they were on the car when I bought it.
Old 10 April 2012, 10:55 PM
shanew
Scooby Regular

that was done on a camp site with a washing up bowl and by hand. I've got access to rotarys an da's but i've never had one on my own car. im no expert but it looks like the polishing stage thats causing the problem. best thing to do would be the give chris a ring and sort out a time. bring your products so we can correct the paint then see if its your methods or products thats the problem. it's possible they were on the car when you got it and are just being highlighted by giving it a good polish. I had the same with my dads vectra so had to compound the full car
Old 10 April 2012, 11:02 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I havent polished the bit on the photos and but did on the Range Rover and they looked the same which is what confused me. I dont have much money to spend on any more car products at the moment, well not until payday anyway but if I can get something that will sort it then I would be interested. As far as I understand the Merc paint is too hard to deal with by hand with any products so its buying a machine or getting someone to do it. If I get someone to do it I dont want then to do the same damage a week later if its my washing technique. Unless its the washmit I find it difficult to think its my technique though and the mit is a purpose built car washing noodle mit so would hope that was ok too.

Last edited by SRSport; 10 April 2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10 April 2012, 11:06 PM
shanew
Scooby Regular

As I offered, your more than welcome to come to the unit and we'll get to the bottom of your problem and unless you want to buy anything you wont have to part with your cash, we don't charge for help and advice
Old 10 April 2012, 11:09 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Thats very good of you thanks. Ill see what Im doing and if theres a chance to head over.

Whats the car in the picture? Is it a scooby?
Old 10 April 2012, 11:14 PM
shanew
Scooby Regular

your more than welcome, you've got the number so feel free to call anytime. failing that we've got a bit of an open day going on with car cruise yorkshire and extremeBHP on the 19th of May, starts at 7pm.
The cars my Hawkeye, not done much to it other than polish it though.