Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Polished Bliss: Black 997 Turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2008, 01:37 PM
Clark @ PB
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polished Bliss: Black 997 Turbo...

This was a detail done at the end of last week which was originally meant to be on an Audi S3 in over Thurs and Fri but they had to cancel so fortunately we were able to bring this 911 forward a bit and we had it untill Sun evening if it was required

The pictures taken for this write up are a mixture of some from my camera and some from Rich's new one.

So, after collecting the car from the customer's house on Wednesday evening this was how it looked on a sunny Thursday morning:

The car has only covered 2,000 miles so there was little in the way of dirt:

First step was to give the car a good pre-rinse @ 50 degrees:

I then foamed with Hyperwash and left it to dwell for 5 mins...

...then rinsed off at high pressure:

The wheels were very clean to begin with - mainly down to the Ceramic Brakes fitted to this one. We have one other 911 on a contract with these brakes and it's amazing just how little dust they produce. I think they should be standard on all cars

I sprayed the alloys with Menzerna 7.5 and left for 30 seconds:

I cleaned the faces with a MF mitt and then used one of our wheel brushes for the inner rim:

After a quick rinse, i sprayed Tardis into the inner rims to remove the tar spots:

I was quite surprised just how much was already there considering the low mileage of the car:

There was some on the calipers too:

I used the wheel brush again to remove the tar, you can see the tardis doing it job by the colour of the water running out the spokes!

Next up were the arches - these were sprayed with Megs Superdegreaser:

Then agitated with a brush:

Another rinse followed before i re-foamed the car and washed with the 2BM and Shampoo Plus:

All the shuts were washed with the lambswool mitt too as they were hardly dirty.

This was followed with Tardis being sprayed on the lower half of the car and left for a few mins before being wiped off with a work towel, including the inner lips of the arches:

I then gave the car one more rinse and then put it inside for claying.

Meguiars Mild Detailing Clay was used with plain water for lube:

One last rinse followed:

I then used a watering can to sheet the water off the paintwork to speed up the drying process a little bit:

I then annoyed all the people in the nearby offices with the leaf blower for 5 minutes :

Total wash time: 5 hours.

Now inside and taped up, i started to take paint readings:

The car averaged 90-110 microns with no signs of any re-sprayed panels.

Defect wise it was how you would expect a Porsche with 2K on the clock, just light swirling but this was hard to pick out on the camera, however i managed to get a pic of the RIDS that were present on most panels:

There were also buffer trails on the lights:

There were quite a few holograms and trails which more than likely came from when the car was on the production line (apologies for the blurry pics):

Onto the polishing:

I did a test section on the bonnet with Menz 106FF and a blue 3M finishing pad. This achieved the desired results but shock horror the polish didnt work 100% and the pad was "grabbing" at the paint and causing it to heat up almost instantly - a sure sign of yet another Porsche with sticky paint!

I thought about continuing with the rotary but to be honest, i couldnt be bothered fighting with it over all the curves of the 911 and risking getting the panels dangerously hot, not to mention that the pad was spitting out little ***** of polish everywhere:

Knowing that the PC or G220 would easily correct the defects in the paint without giving me any major problems i swapped over to D/A, this time using one of the old school polishes - Menz US IP:

This worked perfectly (admittedly it dusted a fair bit) and @ speed 5 with a Megs polishing pad removed all the defects, although some sections needed 2 hits where they were slightly worse:

I stopped machining at 7:30pm.

Friday - Day 2:

I'd got on relatively well on the first day with the polishing and got a good bit done, so the morning of day 2 was spent finishing off the 1st stage of correction.

The 2nd stage was done using Menzerna Po85RD and Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish with a Megs finishing pad @ Speed 5:

The reason i used GEP was that we find it helps making the Menz polishes slightly easier to buff off when working with sticky paints, so therefore reduces the chances of inflicting any marring

I stopped work at 5pm sharp as i'd decided i'd rather finish the car on Saturday instead of working a late Friday!

So, Saturday -Day 3

Luckily Rich had decided to lend a hand today So whilst i finished the machine polishing he set about detailing the interior.

Below are the products used:

And when finished, looked like this:

Meanwhile, i'd finished the machining (Total MP time = 14 hours-ish) and had got rid of all the dust and gave the car a wipe down with Menzerna Top Inspection to reveal the true finish of the paintwork and leaving it nice and clean for the LSP:

I then applied Vintage to the whole car and then went back round and buffed it off straight away as it was a particularly warm day and this ensured the wax buffed off with ease.

Rich also did the tailpipes. Whilst they dont look too bad he actually had to use a Dremel on a few bits along with the metal polishes to get them 100%:

Before:

After:

I gave the engine a wipe down with APC and then dressed with Aerospace 303:

It would appear neither of us took any pics of the engine after but it was only a bit dusty before so not much to show to be honest!

The wheels were sealed (all the way through to the backs too) with PB Wheel Sealant, Arches were dressed with Megs ASD and the tyres were dressed with Blackfire Tyre Gel.

A final wipe down with Field Glaze followed to ensure there were no wax smears or holograms and we then got out the cameras for the after pics - Enjoy

The 911 is now signed up to a maintainance plan and we also have another one of the customer's toys to do the full works on shortly - watch this space

Thanks for looking!

Clark
Old 10 June 2008, 10:51 PM
jayb1970
Scooby Regular

Awesome work as usual guys

You know it's almost worth driving from Wiltshire ( south of England ) just to have a detail done. Hmmmmm ?
Old 10 June 2008, 11:14 PM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great work as normal Clark. A 911 Turbo would be my first purchase after a Lotto win.
Old 11 June 2008, 07:41 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

as always clark and the polished bliss team a big
Old 11 June 2008, 10:48 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

stunning as always.
Old 11 June 2008, 04:41 PM
C_WRX
Scooby Regular

Nicely done Clark as always. Not entirely sure about the interior colour choice but hey, at least it's now back to looking imacculate. I thought it looked good after the wash stage...damn those halogen lights !!
Old 17 June 2008, 07:42 PM
postie90
Scooby Regular

im intreaged, so what kinda money would it take to have the same outside attention as this 911 had? on a black scoob...
Old 17 June 2008, 09:28 PM
AdamR
Scooby Regular

Stunning! I think i've just wet myself!
Old 18 June 2008, 11:05 PM
STiLtd
Scooby Regular

As all of your postings are.......fantastic! Great photos and a great write up.

Where the hell do you find the time to do both the work and the write up?!

Old 20 June 2008, 02:51 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

No social life!!! Prices for those who are interested in our services can be found on this link...

Detailing Services - Service Options

Old 20 June 2008, 03:20 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
No social life!!! Prices for those who are interested in our services can be found on this link...

Detailing Services - Service Options

know what you mean there Rich. Working 7 days a week at the moment. 5 days a week 9 - 5 in an office and then all day Sat and Sun detailing. even booking in simple protection detailings and straight forward washing jobs in the evenings during the week.

oh well guess that's what needs to be done to establish a business. the £££ come in handy too.
Old 23 June 2008, 01:28 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

All well and good for a while, but don't burn yourself out.
Old 23 June 2008, 01:57 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
All well and good for a while, but don't burn yourself out.
yup, been there before. not nice. had a couple of weekends off lately. one where my porter cable was stolen and then the weather on saturday wasn't exactly detailing weather so we postponed it. got to spend a day with the missus and little'un. was nice. off to the zoo on friday to spend some of that hard earned. yesterday was hard going where i'd had a day to relax

speaking of which that reminds me. need to get an order over. out of a few bits.