Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Engine Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2006, 03:56 PM
Joek101
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Cleaning

I want to clean my engine bay, so i did a search on here and CD2 from Halfords seemed to be the thing everyone used but now this isn't sold anymore.

From what i read it seemed that CD2 was 2 items one to clean the cr@p out and one to spray on after to protect the engine parts. Just wondering what everyone else used now? and whether there are any similar 2 part items available or if i have to get two seperate ones.

Also i won't be using a pressure washer and will just cover the alarm and the alternator, will that be enough?
Old 30 August 2006, 04:41 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joek101
I want to clean my engine bay, so i did a search on here and CD2 from Halfords seemed to be the thing everyone used but now this isn't sold anymore.

From what i read it seemed that CD2 was 2 items one to clean the cr@p out and one to spray on after to protect the engine parts. Just wondering what everyone else used now? and whether there are any similar 2 part items available or if i have to get two seperate ones.

Also i won't be using a pressure washer and will just cover the alarm and the alternator, will that be enough?
did your search not throw up all the posts that showed and explained how people cleaned their engine bays ..wierd
Old 30 August 2006, 05:02 PM
wah
Scooby Regular

Location: Stockport Cheshire Xbox Gamertag: Scooby WRX SMACS Member

They have stopped making CD2 !!!
Old 30 August 2006, 05:14 PM
Joek101
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
did your search not throw up all the posts that showed and explained how people cleaned their engine bays ..wierd
Yeah but pretty much everyone said something different, some people were like yeah i just spray everything with a pressure washer and its fine, other people were like oh i have to cover everything over with bags and rubber gloves and cover the intercooler with cardboard and then i can only tickle the grease off with a toothbrush, and everything in between.

All im saying is are the alarm and the alternator the most vital areas to cover over or are there others i should definately do
Old 30 August 2006, 05:33 PM
Fixel
Scooby Regular

The first stage of CD2 is degreasing, so use an alternative like Gunk or whatever your motor place stocks. As for the wax spray... pass.
Old 30 August 2006, 06:10 PM
Joek101
Scooby Regular

I think basically i know what to cover over and how to clean and what to use to get rid of the grease, its just what to put on after that im not sure about.

Apparently subaru cover the engine in some sort of grease when its produced to protect the parts from corrosion (according to a thread i read) and the de greaser removes this. The second part of the CD2 kit apparently replaced this when you put it on after de greasing, so basically i just need to know what that second item i need is or any other 2 part kits

Thanks for the comments so far, can't believe how much i've learned since i've started reading around on here over the last month or so. I just want to do everything to my car now in terms of getting it looking its best and modifying, just need the time and money!
Old 31 August 2006, 08:50 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

I wet wash using P21S Total Auto Wash. It's good stuff, and left for 15 mins to soak will shift most accumulations of grime (a little toothbrush action may still be required on some areas). After drying off, I protect all plastics, rubbers and vinyls with 303 Aerospace Protectant, all painted surfaces with Jeffs Werkstatt Prime Acrylic and metal parts get a decent metal polish, like Megs NXT, which polishes and seals.
Old 01 September 2006, 07:01 PM
Joek101
Scooby Regular

Ok had a crack at it, didn't find it as easy as everyone said, had to scrub a lot and took me about 2 hours, possibly something to do with the fact its never been cleaned in 20,000 miles. Reasonably happy with the results, will have another go at it again soon thought to make it better.

Heres a couple of pics

God damn it, i don't know how to put the things in, how do u do it?
Old 01 September 2006, 07:05 PM
Joek101
Scooby Regular

I think ive done it

Before

http://host.photogalaxy.net/viewer.p...595_Before.JPG

After

http://host.photogalaxy.net/viewer.p...5187_After.JPG

Dunno how to make em smaller tho
Old 01 September 2006, 07:45 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD
Thumbs up

Looking a lot better - What did you end up using?
Old 01 September 2006, 07:59 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

good job there matey

have a look at mine

http://web.mac.com/cdodsworth/iWeb/T...b/Welcome.html

under dirty engine....
Old 02 September 2006, 12:38 PM
Joek101
Scooby Regular

I used autoglym engine and machine cleaner and also CarPlan Engine 'Nv' Powerful degreaser.

Covered over the alternator with a plactic bag, and all the electrical bits, didn't bother with the intercooler, but then i made sure i didn't put anyhting on there, hope i haven't knackered anything!

Like the pics SwissTony, especially the baby, thats a nice touch, until it ends up throwing up all over your clean engine!

Out of interest how long does the clean shine last for? I haven't driven it yet since i've done it. Just wondering how long til the initial shiny and cleaness fades, and then how long to expect til it dirty again aswell?
Old 02 September 2006, 04:21 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Joek101
I used autoglym engine and machine cleaner and also CarPlan Engine 'Nv' Powerful degreaser.

Covered over the alternator with a plactic bag, and all the electrical bits, didn't bother with the intercooler, but then i made sure i didn't put anyhting on there, hope i haven't knackered anything!

Like the pics SwissTony, especially the baby, thats a nice touch, until it ends up throwing up all over your clean engine!

Out of interest how long does the clean shine last for? I haven't driven it yet since i've done it. Just wondering how long til the initial shiny and cleaness fades, and then how long to expect til it dirty again aswell?
it lasts for quite a while,say around a couple of months at least. all you need to do is wipe over with autoglym rubber cleaner every now and then to bring up the gloss again.

that was my 6 year old who was three then, bit big to be chucking up over my engine..he would have made it his first and last attempt if i had anything to do with it