Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Waffle weave towel

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2006, 06:12 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Waffle weave towel

Bought one a couple of months ago and have now used it in hot and cool weather, with the same results, it leaves water lines all over the car .

When you wring out a chamios and wipe the car over it pretty well picks up all of the water, not so with the towel I have found.

Here are a few pictures, to show what I mean

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...7/CIMG2516.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...7/CIMG2518.jpg

Anyone else have these problems?
Old 21 August 2006, 08:43 PM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

My chamios does that too....Needs a couple of runs over to dry completely. Not used a waffle towel though so can't compare.
Old 21 August 2006, 08:47 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

I bought a Waffle towel as they were highly praised and paid silly money for it too.

Bag O shi£e.

I went back to my Auto Glym chamios
Old 21 August 2006, 08:56 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave_68
My chamios does that too....Needs a couple of runs over
At least with the chamios you can wring it out to get it dry, and eventually dry the panels and windows on the car, you cant with the towel

Last edited by pauld37; 21 August 2006 at 08:59 PM.
Old 21 August 2006, 08:58 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by n one
I bought a Waffle towel as they were highly praised and paid silly money for it too.

Bag O shi£e.

I went back to my Auto Glym chamios

Exactly what I have done .

Hopefully someone from Polished Bliss will be along and tell us where we are going wrong
Old 21 August 2006, 09:09 PM
SivMY05Sti
Scooby Regular

Microfibre cloths I bought from Halfords have cured this problem for me - always used a chamois uptil then - £10 for three, quality.......and I only use one bucket too.......the shame of it
Old 21 August 2006, 09:17 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll fine the WW towels wont work very well untill theyre washed.

Note:

ONLY USE A NON BIO DETERGENT!!! anything else will damage the fibres in the cloth.

You will find your towels will work much much better after that.

Hope that helps guys
Old 21 August 2006, 09:24 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Have to agree with Frayz

No Fabric Softener either as I found this impaired performance
Old 21 August 2006, 09:54 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Paul, that's what detailer spray is for, wipe up the excess water with the towel and use the detailer to finish off.

Megs detailer and Kent Car Care microfiber towels can be brought from the Motabitz places locally, that one in Oakdale sells that stuff (or Polished Bliss will do similar).

Old 22 August 2006, 10:41 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Hmm, what I see in the pictures is a towel that is not working at all. Rasher had this problem until he washed his towel properly for the first time (sometimes not all of the factory chemicals are fully rinsed out, and if this happens the towel won't be properly absorbant after after it's first proper wash). As stated above, wash them carefully: 40oC using Fairy Non Bio, then leave to dry on the line or in the airing cupboard - never any direct heat (radiators or tumble driers). Waffle weave towels work better than chamois - hence why I use them on a day to basis. Wipe drying can also be bettered - I only ever pat dry these days, as it's kinder on the paint and just as quick. The waffle weave towel is ideal for this method, due to it's high degree of absorbancy. You should be able to do the whole car with a single towel without needing to wring out. Reasons why you wouldn't be able to this are: (i) you have too much standing water left on the car after rinsing off (try rinsing off with an open ended hose, as this will sheet a lot more water away and leave the surfaces much drier than if you hose them down with a spray head), (ii) the towel has been damaged by heat and has lost it's absorbancy. On customer cars I frequently need to use two towels, because the paint is in crap condition (bonded contamimants and little or no protection) and water doesn't sheet away easily when rinsing off.

Last edited by Rich @ PB; 22 August 2006 at 10:46 AM.
Old 22 August 2006, 12:03 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Rasher had this problem until he washed his towel properly for the first time
yep works fine now
Old 22 August 2006, 08:10 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
Hmm, what I see in the pictures is a towel that is not working at all. Rasher had this problem until he washed his towel properly for the first time (sometimes not all of the factory chemicals are fully rinsed out, and if this happens the towel won't be properly absorbant after after it's first proper wash). As stated above, wash them carefully: 40oC using Fairy Non Bio, then leave to dry on the line or in the airing cupboard - never any direct heat (radiators or tumble driers). Waffle weave towels work better than chamois - hence why I use them on a day to basis. Wipe drying can also be bettered - I only ever pat dry these days, as it's kinder on the paint and just as quick. The waffle weave towel is ideal for this method, due to it's high degree of absorbancy. You should be able to do the whole car with a single towel without needing to wring out. Reasons why you wouldn't be able to this are: (i) you have too much standing water left on the car after rinsing off (try rinsing off with an open ended hose, as this will sheet a lot more water away and leave the surfaces much drier than if you hose them down with a spray head), (ii) the towel has been damaged by heat and has lost it's absorbancy. On customer cars I frequently need to use two towels, because the paint is in crap condition (bonded contamimants and little or no protection) and water doesn't sheet away easily when rinsing off.

Will get the missus to wash it as it has never been done, and has not been near the tumble drier or rads.

The pictures I have shown are of the windows of a car less than a year old .

Will post up my findings once its been washed, thanks for the answers
Old 22 August 2006, 08:14 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G00ner
Paul, that's what detailer spray is for, wipe up the excess water with the towel and use the detailer to finish off.

Megs detailer and Kent Car Care microfiber towels can be brought from the Motabitz places locally, that one in Oakdale sells that stuff (or Polished Bliss will do similar).

Have got all the cleaning gear Shane, perhaps too much , will try the washing of the towel method, fingers crossed
Old 22 August 2006, 08:36 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

Right O then, I`ll stick it in the machine this weekend, then give it a second chance.

Thanks
Old 22 August 2006, 08:49 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

I normally use the open end hose method then spray a quick spray of QD per panal then Pat dry - like PB says you should just about dry the scoob without the need to ring it out - I find it miles better then my old chamos.
Old 23 August 2006, 12:24 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

One other thing worth noting - it's best to wash them after every use. This is because you often end up picking up a little bit of missed muck from the lower skirts and bumpers, and it also keeps the fibres in good condition.
Old 23 August 2006, 08:12 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Wash after every use, dont dry artificially, only use an open ended hose, dab dry dont wipe.......... or forget all that and use a chamois
Old 25 August 2006, 07:17 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

...and have swirly wirly paint! Your choice, I know which route I prefer, and it doesn't take any longer either. Thanks for all the feedback on the towels, I've now added a sticker to all of the waffle weave wrappers advising to wash before first use.
Old 25 August 2006, 07:37 PM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the QD spray, do you mean its best to wash the car and while its still wet spray with the QD then dry with the WW towel
Old 25 August 2006, 08:04 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ScoobLou
With the QD spray, do you mean its best to wash the car and while its still wet spray with the QD then dry with the WW towel
yes - thats what I do - some Quick detailers will even lay a layer of protection down each time you use it like the Blackfire Deep Gloss Spray Sealant http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...0maintain.html - so after every wash you will be topping up your wax protection each time
Old 25 August 2006, 08:07 PM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scoobyverysoon
yes - thats what I do - some Quick detailers will even lay a layer of protection down each time you use it like the Blackfire Deep Gloss Spray Sealant http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...0maintain.html - so after every wash you will be topping up your wax protection each time
Ah nice one, will put it on my list to order some
Old 25 August 2006, 08:51 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
...and have swirly wirly paint! Your choice, I know which route I prefer, and it doesn't take any longer either.

Are you saying using a waffle weave towel totally eliminates getting "swirly wirly" paint?
Old 26 August 2006, 10:25 AM
gazman
Scooby Regular

Glad I read this

I have the same annoying streaks and was going to bin the damn cloth (it's the Meguires waffle weave)

Only thing is we have only got Daz and I can't se if it's biological or not

It's not my department this washing machine lark and the misses has gone out.

So I'm just gonna bung the thing in with a little bit of the Daz we have

report back later
Old 29 August 2006, 11:50 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by pauld37
Are you saying using a waffle weave towel totally eliminates getting "swirly wirly" paint?
No, nothing totally eliminates the risk of inflicting defects and thus swirls, but out of the two, the waffle weave is by far the better tool in my experience. I have always found chamois hard to look after, and when they start to firm up and hold dirt that won't wash out, they become risky to use. Waffle weaves are much easier to look after, more absorbant and pose less risk. This is why I use them.
Old 29 August 2006, 11:52 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gazman
Glad I read this

I have the same annoying streaks and was going to bin the damn cloth (it's the Meguires waffle weave)

Only thing is we have only got Daz and I can't se if it's biological or not

It's not my department this washing machine lark and the misses has gone out.

So I'm just gonna bung the thing in with a little bit of the Daz we have

report back later
Doh! Try to avoid using powders... the residues don't always fully wash out, and when they don't you end up rubbing fine powder crystals into the paint which can inflict fine marring. Liquid detergents are much safer in this respect.
Old 29 August 2006, 12:02 PM
gazman
Scooby Regular

well I did wash it and tried it again

much better results