Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

got a brake problem wrx pro calipers

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2013, 11:30 PM
Mr Carr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question got a brake problem wrx pro calipers

Hi folks my brakes are making a jingling noise when I go over bumps and feel soft , , ive had the fluid changed , they also clunk sometimes when I press the pedal , but more worried about the fact that the calipers ,there turning white from the heat ! Anyone know what the problem is and a fixs ? Also there has never been much brake dust from the pads probably cheap crap ones I guess; and I can rattle the pads with my fingers a bit . Bit worried about brakes failure any decent info would be appreciated cheers
Old 17 August 2013, 11:55 PM
Mr Carr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Carr
Hi folks my brakes are making a jingling noise when I go over bumps and feel soft , , ive had the fluid changed , they also clunk sometimes when I press the pedal , but more worried about the fact that the calipers ,there turning white from the heat ! Anyone know what the problem is and a fixs ? Also there has never been much brake dust from the pads probably cheap crap ones I guess; and I can rattle the pads with my fingers a bit . Bit worried about brakes failure any decent info would be appreciated cheers
When I say my calipers are white I mean a white layer of frosting on them
Old 18 August 2013, 08:28 AM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

As far as i know, the pads are held in place by a metal clip. Check its there.Impreza brakes,as standard, arent brilliant anyway but it does sound like the pads themselves are cheap and cud do with a change.Do a search to find recommended ones.The white layer on the calipers sounds like mild corrosion and should just be removed with a stiff brush .
Old 18 August 2013, 08:42 AM
Mr Carr
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the reply , the metal clips are in place and nothing looks out of place , the thing with the white frosting is that it has appeared over night .going do a search on pads but there not original calipers they look the same ones that godspeed sell 4 pot . Wrx pro written on the side of them on a silver /grey caliper .just wondering if they need to be rebuilt or something .
Old 18 August 2013, 10:21 AM
Mr Carr
Scooby Regular

Looking at the metal clip on the back of the caliper im not sure but think it might be in the wrong way there's a curve on the clip and its on the bottom of the caliper dose anyone know whick way the curve should be , at top ? Or at bottom of caliper ? ? ? ? ?
Old 25 August 2013, 04:01 PM
Chan HT
Scooby Regular

I am using WRX PRO. The curve part of the clip is at the top part of the caliper.
Old 25 August 2013, 04:16 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Mr Carr

Re: clunk
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-clicking.html
Old 25 August 2013, 04:40 PM
Mr Carr
Scooby Regular

Ay up folks , , ive changed the pads and clean all the muck of the calipers and my brakes now work , which is nice lol .but the rattle is there but think ive worked out whats going on , the anti rattle plates are too flat in the middle 'there is a line across yhem like it should of been machine bent into shape putting more pressure on the pads .had a go with bending them by hand and it has made them a bit quieter, going get them in a vice when I get chance will let you know if it sorts it out ...
Old 25 August 2013, 04:59 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

So you do have them installed the right way up then?
Old 25 August 2013, 05:03 PM
Mr Carr
Scooby Regular

Yep I've put them in right
Old 11 September 2013, 08:31 PM
Mr Carr
Scooby Regular

Update on the rattle and squeaks ... what ive done so far . Taken anti rattle plates out put them in a vice and bent them to the correct shape ( they dont come bent to shape when new) .put them in a vice and bent them from the middle to the bottom away from caliper , this put much more pressure on the pads but still wasn't enough to shut them up in my case ! Also clean the calipers up which freed them up to work properly stopped that num feeling all together, winner . But still the jangling noise over bumps ! So got some shims (thanks godspeed) which stopped the squeaking and the rest of excess movement with the pads . But still a jangling over bumps !!!! Going change my drop links next week see if that cures it . If not all I can think is that they must be faulty made calipers. ..
Old 20 September 2013, 03:14 PM
Chan HT
Scooby Regular

Disconnect the two drop links and drive around to determine if noise return. I did it on mine and noise stop, mine was clunking noise.
Old 20 September 2013, 04:17 PM
Mr Carr
Scooby Regular

Had the drop links fitted last week , some melay hd uprated ones . Only 35 pounds so thought id just bang them on . The ride is a bit smoother but its looking like the brakes are the culprit ! Could do with borrowing someone's calipers just to make shore its not the shocks lol
Old 21 September 2013, 04:37 PM
Chan HT
Scooby Regular

Disconnect the uprated drop links and drive and see if the noise is still there. I did it on mine and no noise ! Mine turn out to be the two brackets holding the rubber bushing of the ARB. I apply lubricating oil on all the bracket metal to metal mating surfaces, noise disappear. Initially I applied grease, noise still there. Oil it, noise gone but only for 3 months or so and require re-oil.
Old 21 September 2013, 05:10 PM
Mr Carr
Scooby Regular

Cheers chan I'll give it a go when I get chance