opinions on EBC RedStuff?

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2013, 02:28 PM
headrush
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions on EBC RedStuff?

Hi all!

I have had a set of EBC RedStuff brake pads on all four corners of my car for almost one year now, as I was recommended them for fast road driving, even for some occasional trackday. I was a litle skeptical about the last but decided to give them a try as people I heard from compared them to the Ferodo DS2500s performance for a fraction of the price. I had my Reds matched to a new set of Mintex slotted rotors in all 4 wheels, as I got a good deal.

I found the pads to be very responsive with a decent amount of bite at cold, they do respond well for daily driving, and they get better after some braking when they've reached some temperature. So my firt impressions were quite good at first.

After installing some stainless steel brake hoses with Motul RBF600 fluid, and having the pads bedded-in already, I was so happy and ready to give the car some action on my favourite b-roads again...

So, what happened then? I found the RedStuff pads to be very disappointing when you're demanding them to work as they're suppoused to. They do fade QUICK AS HELL after pushing the car for a short period of time. They simply can't hold any heat, it's not a progressive fadding effect, they do fall suddenly letting you in a compromised position. This never happened in any of my previous cars.

Have this ever happened to you? Maybe I'm not the driver with better braking skills around, maybe the standard turbo brakes are just too small for efficient heat dissipation, but I don't remember such a terrible fadding problems even with the -worn out- stock pads and discs when I bought the car.

So I'm looking at something else for when the replacement time comes.

What are my options? I have an eye on the following pads (hybrid street-track use):

- Endless MX72
- Carbon Lorraine RC5+
- Ferodo DS2500

Thanks for your opinions in advance!

Greets,

Jaume
Old 29 July 2013, 02:53 PM
Bezza
Scooby Regular

its funny you should say that.

i put a post up the other day about what pads to get come replacement and was suprised no one metioned EBC.

going back to the brake fade, i had them on my celica GT and thought they worked well until i went to a club meet and spent the day doing some pretty spirited driving, i was driving home on a fast road with a roundabout at the end, and honestly dont know how i didnt go staright over. i pressed the brakes and there was almost nothing. luckily i left enough room to use the gears to get me down but it scared the sh*t out of me. havent thought about it again until now though as thats the only problem i ever had. perhaps i dont drive fast enough
i did have EBC drilled and groved disks on the celica and the scoobs are solid.

let me know what you get and how they are as will be replacing mine soon.
im not sure what ive got at the moment as only just bought the car but they stop really well my only niggle is my gold alloys turn black within 10 miles lol.
Old 29 July 2013, 02:59 PM
dazzaturbo
Scooby Regular

The cl rc5+ are awesome mate.
Old 29 July 2013, 03:06 PM
headrush
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossberry
its funny you should say that.

i put a post up the other day about what pads to get come replacement and was suprised no one metioned EBC.

going back to the brake fade, i had them on my celica GT and thought they worked well until i went to a club meet and spent the day doing some pretty spirited driving, i was driving home on a fast road with a roundabout at the end, and honestly dont know how i didnt go staright over. i pressed the brakes and there was almost nothing. luckily i left enough room to use the gears to get me down but it scared the sh*t out of me. havent thought about it again until now though as thats the only problem i ever had. perhaps i dont drive fast enough
i did have EBC drilled and groved disks on the celica and the scoobs are solid.

let me know what you get and how they are as will be replacing mine soon.
im not sure what ive got at the moment as only just bought the car but they stop really well my only niggle is my gold alloys turn black within 10 miles lol.
Hi mate,

I don't think I'm replacing the pads soon as I believe they must be at half life, I'd have to live with that for some months! But in case I would had to do it now, I think I would go with the Endless MX72, I've read some nice reviews about them!

Originally Posted by rossberry
i was driving home on a fast road with a roundabout at the end, and honestly dont know how i didnt go staright over. i pressed the brakes and there was almost nothing.
This is the feeling, completely unpleasant, you can feel the rottors slipping through the pads with almost zero friction. Anyway I think the fadding itself it's not the worst part but how it suddenly appears. Scary.
Old 29 July 2013, 03:08 PM
headrush
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazzaturbo
The cl rc5+ are awesome mate.
Thanks mate, I'll have it in consideration! I've only heard formidable reviews about these

Last edited by headrush; 29 July 2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 29 July 2013, 03:32 PM
cjquicksilver
Scooby Regular

Red stuff are absolute **** IMO

Cooked them in a non turbo Waggon running turbo brake set up within 5 miles of a rally,

Cooked a set on my evo within one lap also, massive brake fade = fail to me any how I found green stuff to be better!
Old 29 July 2013, 03:40 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

EBC.SJ.
Old 29 July 2013, 03:42 PM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

I had green stuff on my 182 after a bit of heat they were useless still full of life aswell, i went to cl pads after that
Old 29 July 2013, 03:46 PM
headrush
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cjquicksilver
Cooked them in a non turbo Waggon running turbo brake set up within 5 miles of a rally,
Mine get cooked within 5 miles of spirited driving on my favourite course, too...

Thanks!
Old 29 July 2013, 03:55 PM
headrush
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
EBC.SJ.
Originally Posted by Steve's Sti
I had green stuff on my 182 after a bit of heat they were useless still full of life aswell, i went to cl pads after that
Yes, but this is that kind of brand you can find either the worst/better reviews possible on the net. People seems to adore them or to hate them to death, you got to try them to really know... so now I do know for sure!

Maybe people who likes them have just tried the high-end stuff from EBC (BlueStuff+)? Or perhaps they haven't tried better quality brands like Ferodo, CL or Endless. Just my guess...

Maybe I just had to go for the YellowStuff from the beginning instead of the Reds for a more agressive driving... but well, I think I don't want to stick to EBC after that...

Thanks pals!

Last edited by headrush; 29 July 2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 29 July 2013, 03:59 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

depends on the car set-up you have but the likes of the PFC Z-rated and Brembo HPS take a of of beating for fast road work, with the PFC having the edge temp wise it will even cope with track use

if you want a more aggressive track type pad them PFC 01/08, Pagid RS series (or newer RST), Mintex F series, etc..........
Old 29 July 2013, 04:20 PM
headrush
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AS Performance
depends on the car set-up you have but the likes of the PFC Z-rated and Brembo HPS take a of of beating for fast road work, with the PFC having the edge temp wise it will even cope with track use

if you want a more aggressive track type pad them PFC 01/08, Pagid RS series (or newer RST), Mintex F series, etc..........
Thanks mate, the PFC Z's looks interesting as I don't want to give up my braking on cold, this car is my daily driver (the car sees some nice mountain roads everyday in my way to work/home, but it's a daily after all, I have to go through town and all.. ) and my weekend toy (mountain spirited driving + planning on occasional tracking).

Last edited by headrush; 29 July 2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 29 July 2013, 04:26 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These were EBC Redstuff Ceramic pads, They still have a good 6/7mm left on them but have decided to **** themselves into bits!!!

Got a set of Alyn(AS Peformance) PF-Z rated to replace them.

These were put in by the previous owner at a price of £200+ !!!!!

Old 29 July 2013, 04:29 PM
-Nic-
Scooby Regular

PFC Z rated are a good all round pad. They even survived a good few laps of the Nurburgring.
Old 29 July 2013, 04:34 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
These were EBC Redstuff Ceramic pads, They still have a good 6/7mm left on them but have decided to **** themselves into bits!!!

Got a set of Alyn(AS Peformance) PF-Z rated to replace them.

These were put in by the previous owner at a price of £200+ !!!!!

That's exactly what happened to my EBC pads they just fell apart,its heat damage.not fit for purpose,for me or my driving style,I think for normal driving they would be fine but throw some power and hard braking at them and they commit suicide.SJ.
Old 29 July 2013, 04:42 PM
headrush
Scooby Regular

That looks really ugly! I'll check my pads when I return from holidays.

Thx everybody for your advice!
Old 30 July 2013, 01:41 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

500 mile EBC Orangestuff:

In batches some work very well, quality control and consistency is very poor though so you never know what you are going to get.

Consider PF, consistently good and well priced
Old 30 July 2013, 02:04 PM
Qwertyco
Scooby Regular

. . . . and I still have the Orangestuff pads you recommended and sold me still new in the box.
Should I fit them, or bin them?

ps. I found redstuff cr@p under all conditions.
Old 30 July 2013, 02:28 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

The ones from about a year ago Mike? They may be okay, later batches we had problems with. Still fitted to our car working well but will be changed next service.

I'll swap them for PF Z compound pads if you want even though it's been so long. Email me if you want to take me up.

When they work, they work well. Inconsistent quality control though with more and more people recently reporting issues.

Last edited by Aztec Performance Ltd; 30 July 2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 30 July 2013, 06:34 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My blob STI came with redstuff pads in the front and they are the worst brakes I've used in any car even with the brembo callipers, needing brakes as soon as I can justify paying for them ( obviously they are very important I just don't use the car that's all lol )

Ill never use ebc again though tbh.

Mick