Winter tyre advice wanted

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2013, 01:36 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter tyre advice wanted

Hey all

I have had a look around and have found accelera winter tyres for less than £50 a corner all in fitted, now I'm a bit dubious as I have read some reports saying yea there fine, and others saying they wouldn't use them to throw on a bonfire

I don't do many miles and they would only really be used for a few months of the year, id be amazed if I seen 500 miles from November - March time, reason I ask is because I got stuck coming out of work on a slight gradient, the potenza RE070's are quite frankly shít to be blunt, yet a woman in work in her little yaris derv flew out up the same stretch of road I know its light and front wheel drive but I was expecting the scoob to be a little better than that tbh!

So not exactly wanting to spend a fortune if I'm honest just something that will suffice, the car has gotten everywhere else but i need it for work and getting stuck or leaving it quater of a mile away on a main road where you get all the idiots who can't drive just does not fair well in my book

I don't intend to drive it like a maniac or to keep them on longer than necessary so what are people's thoughts, any suggestions are welcome I know its a case of " you get what you pay for" and If we had more cold weather or snow everywhere over the ground more often than not then I would buy A decent set, but for the mileage they would see and the places I tend to go they won't be punished so to speak.

So have any of you had first hand experience with the Accelera x grip tyres before I consider buying them

Cheers all

Craig

Last edited by Infected by sti; 20 January 2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 20 January 2013, 01:53 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 753 Likes on 624 Posts

http://www.tyretest.com/wintercar_ty...now/index.html
Old 20 January 2013, 02:08 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Cheers Don

Thats quite a varied opinion again lol, and from the stats at the bottom I'm assuming they are rather poor, yet some swear by them and others not so

One of the boys has had a set previously on his civic type r and said he would buy them again as they done the job, I'm guessing they ain't the best tbh but its not as if I'm going adventuring lol, just want that little extra grip so don't want to spend £600-800 on a set for little use.

Hopefully someone has had experience with them on their impreza and can comment further, I want an honest opinion on if you think I'm throwing money away, like I say they are not for strenuous work and mega miles, but for that extra bit of grip that the potenza just can't offer! Ill keep them for the warmer months then

Last edited by Infected by sti; 20 January 2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 20 January 2013, 02:46 PM
sweden
Scooby Regular

Why would you not put decent tyres on the scooby in the winter does it really matter that your not going to drive it far
Old 20 January 2013, 03:02 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Yes it makes a big difference bud, I'd rather have a set that can cope with the needs I desire than to spend a fortune on a set that I don't need, have you had any experience with the tyres I'm asking about?? I'm not looking for the cream of the crop, if you want to hand over some wedge then ill be more than happy to run the expensive tyres on my car I don't want them for performance, so there is a big difference IMO only once I been stuck and I know its down to the bridgestones, I don't skimp on parts for my car or tyres for that matter, but I'm not in to spending a massive difference for little gains over a semi budget set just to get me about, if I was racing or any other scenario then yes I agree, I have covered just over 200 miles in my car since October and don't plan on many during the bad weather, just want a little extra grip as stated in the opening post, id rather put the rest of the money towards a holiday or on the car for parts I want to change, not on a set of mega expensive winter tyres that get ripped to death on the first sign of decent weather
Old 20 January 2013, 03:03 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sweden
Why would you not put decent tyres on the scooby in the winter does it really matter that your not going to drive it far
+1 my toyos are fine until you come up against compacted snow/ice and unless you have studded tyres i doubt winter tyres would help.

i assume they are just for deep/fresh snow.
Old 20 January 2013, 03:09 PM
sweden
Scooby Regular

Slightly different for me matey I live in Sweden so I use studed tyres in the winter, I understand what your saying but the trouble is a cheap set of winter tyres is a waste of time and will give you no more grip than a decent set of summer tyres.
Old 20 January 2013, 03:36 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Yes tubb's, I have gotten about just fine but then like you say compact snow and ice was the undoing of it all so wanting something that may offer a little better traction, I'm not expecting miracles obviously but any grip is better than none in my book

And Sweden I can totally see where your coming from and normally would totally agree with you, but I'm just sat here thinking if my current setup is coping alright at the min with the exception of that 1 time on potenzas then would them budget (ish) tyres help me? Even if its just a little, and I know you get what you pay for, but can I justify £600-800 for a set of tyres that may only help me out once or twice a year, if I was living where you are I wouldn't even entertain budgets tbh, but for the amount of time the snow is down and then our temps climbing higher by the day its just so unpredictable and don't want to be killing a decent set of tyres. If we have a warm end to february again and then it snows again in march like last year then I can see them getting scrubbed up quite bad tbh, so was just trying to think of all scenarios.

I would preferably like to spend <£300 as they can live on these rims I have on the car for winter and I will have my new alloys come beginning of spring for summer use, if you maybe can suggest other brands close to that region if be willing to give them a browse, I only ask about the tyres in question as they are fairly priced for me with the discount and have known somebody to use them, but one person is not really enough evidence lol hence why I posted up in here.

I bet you have some harsh winters over there can see exactly why you would wan to use a better tyre than what I may end up running

Last edited by Infected by sti; 20 January 2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 20 January 2013, 03:41 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
Yes tubb's, I have gotten about just fine but then like you say compact snow and ice was the undoing of it all so wanting something that may offer a little better traction, I'm not expecting miracles obviously but any grip is better than none in my book

And Sweden I can totally see where your coming from and normally would totally agree with you, but I'm just sat here thinking if my current setup is coping alright at the min with the exception of that 1 time on potenzas then would them budget (ish) tyres help me? Even if its just a little, and I know you get what you pay for, but can I justify £600-800 for a set of tyres that may only help me out once or twice a year, if I was living where you are I wouldn't even entertain budgets tbh, but for the amount of time the snow is down and then our temps climbing higher by the day its just so unpredictable and don't want to be killing a decent set of tyres. If we have a warm end to february again and then it snows again in march like last year then I can see them getting scrubbed up quite bad tbh, so was just trying to think of all scenarios.

I would preferably like to spend <£300 as they can live on these rims I have on the car for winter and I will have my new alloys come beginning of spring for summer use, if you maybe can suggest other brands close to that region if be willing to give them a browse, I only ask about the tyres in question as they are fairly priced for me with the discount and have known somebody to use them, but one person is not really enough evidence lol hence why I posted up in here.

I bet you have some harsh winters over there can see exactly why you would wan to use a better tyre than what I may end up running
i cant see winter tyres giving anymore grip on compacted ice as they are designed for soft snow.

personally i think your wasting your money as sweden says only true way to get better winter grip is with studded tyres which is overkill here as the roads generally clear in a day or so anyway
Old 20 January 2013, 03:43 PM
sweden
Scooby Regular

What size tyre are you after, might be idea to buy a set of decent second hand from Sweden.

This time of year there's all so sale on new winter tyres as everyone already has fitted over here might want to have a look through this site give you idea of prices www.dackonline.se, hackapelitta is tyre of choice matey Bridgestone are good as well.

Last edited by sweden; 20 January 2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 20 January 2013, 03:56 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

225 / 235 -45-17's

That's why I have asked TT as tbh I have never bothered with winter tyres on previous cars if truth be known, my m3 won't move regardless of tyres but you see people rave about them so it makes you

Its not as if I really need to use the car in bad weather, I have plenty of options available to me but it would be nice if I could get a bit more traction, the tyres on there ATM aint helping either IMO but wouldn't change them for another set of summer tyres because I'm buying new alloys anyway and the tyres on there have plenty of meat left so would use winter tyres If I was to buy a set, and put the potenzas back on for a track day / pod or something
Old 20 January 2013, 03:57 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Cheers Sweden will take a browse now
Old 20 January 2013, 04:01 PM
sweden
Scooby Regular

Drop the width matey winter tyres by default you want smaller 195-205 maybe gives better performance n grip, might sound strange but true

Your going to want dubfree for the english roads not sure then like you with studs lol plus you don't have the conditions for them, honestly there is a divided option on which is best studed or not, dub free has certainly improved over the last 10yrs or so but I fall under the studed brigade lol, the rubber in stud less is specially blended and gives surprising grip even on ice roads and is ok in snow,your going to need to keep them in a dark cool place over the summer.

Last edited by sweden; 20 January 2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 20 January 2013, 04:17 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Yes very true, although I think 205 is the lowest I could go on my rim safely.

The prices are very similar to here tbh, are nokians rated over with you then? Again I have seen alot of mixed reviews as I'm sure I can get hold of them at reduced rates also, but was told that the accelera are on par with them but work out cheaper
Old 20 January 2013, 04:30 PM
sweden
Scooby Regular

Hakepilittas are the tyre of choice matey we fit more than any other tyre the Bridgestone and goodyears are a very good middle priced tyre, never heard of the make your on about

Pirelli do a very good winter studed tyre almost on par with hakas but you have to be carefull there and make sure they are made after 2011 as they had the wrong size studs fitted before and after a few weeks they were stud less lol

Last edited by sweden; 20 January 2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 20 January 2013, 04:43 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I think studs would be a bit extreme for my use anyway, like tubbs said earlier give it a day or 2 and the roads are clear which only leaves the housing estates and side streets with white roads, and I have just left work again and it went straight up the hill today, bit more slushy than yesterday tho so can you see why I don't want to spend a fortune

I will ask about them nokians then when I see him and if I can get a set for decent money I will consider them, as they seem to work with you guys out there, so they should bloody work out here
Old 20 January 2013, 04:49 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi there

Personally I would go down the route of the Matador(they're using for their winter tyres Nokian compound),I've used them in Slovakia quiet regularly just due snow is there more frequent

About the studded tyres they're not legal here

This should help

http://conti-central.co.uk/winter-ty...estern-europe/

Winter tyres will give you better grip in snow and on the ice,just due most of the summer tyres using different silica,usually Winter tyres are best when outside is bellow 7C,don;t use them in summer,because you will damage them

Jura
Old 20 January 2013, 06:59 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

kleber , nokian . matador would be the ones to look at or just anything other than re070s lol , im on vredesteins sessantas on the wagon and falken 453s on the saloon and they seem fine in the snow tbh. plodding along fine , anything bridgestone is ****e in the snow tbh , re050s , re040s and re070s have been shocking in the snow on cars i have previuosly had , it will make you laugh but the yokohama paradas i had on a few years ago outmatched any tyre in the snow lol .

mags
Old 20 January 2013, 07:42 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that mags

Will a budget of £300 cover 4 tyres out of the above list you mention?

I'm starting to think about leaving the accelera tbh as nobody has commented and I can't find a review with them on an impreza, only small to medium front wheel drive cars really, like I say I don't want to waste money hence the question, I'm gonna have to change the tyres on there as if we have anymore of this wether and I'm forced to use the car for one reason or another it would be nice to know I got a little grip they really surprised me the tyres on there now as to actually how fast they gave up, I've always been able to get up that hill in what ever car I been in!
Old 20 January 2013, 07:45 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

So the matadors have served you well Jura, have you had any other winter tyres you could compare them to?
Old 20 January 2013, 10:26 PM
ajsscooby
Scooby Regular

Mine aren't Matador but my experience with winter tyres may help you make a decision :-)

I have Goodyear winter tyres on my Hawk this winter (bought last year second hand but nearly new for £250), now I'm not planning to put my Bridgestones back on until March because the grip with the Goodyears on the cold wet roads is so much better.

I now have no fear tackling the snow covered steep approach road to my house which last year left me stranded.

Not cheap to buy new but if it saves a big bill for a smashed up car then it's worth it.

If you put them on cheapo wheels (mine are on old WRX wheels bought of here for £100) and share the annual tyre wear over 2 sets of tyres instead of one it's not a waste of money.

Last edited by ajsscooby; 20 January 2013 at 10:29 PM. Reason: added a bit.
Old 21 January 2013, 03:00 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
So the matadors have served you well Jura, have you had any other winter tyres you could compare them to?
Hi Craig

Yes I've tried like Barum, Continental and others there in Slovakia or Czech republic and Matador has been in my view best for money

If you are looking at Matador is made by Nokian and Nokian are known as great winter tyres(in many eyes as best)

Here is few tests of the Winter tyres:

http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests...cePageId=31821

Jura
Old 21 January 2013, 06:51 AM
stevep360
Scooby Regular

chains or snowsocks
Old 21 January 2013, 02:14 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by M444GY
it will make you laugh but the yokohama paradas i had on a few years ago outmatched any tyre in the snow lol .

mags
Have these on my type R and yes they were not too bad in the snow, no match for the Pirelli W240's on the Spec C as the type R still slid around, even with the diff locked, the spec c left in auto was far better
No substitue for the correct equipment at the correct time
Old 21 January 2013, 04:14 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

We have Matadors on the family wagon and they're a massive difference to the road tyres. They are actually owned by Continental (German company) not Nokian, so are decent quality. They will probably last for 7 or 8 winters at least.

Snow Chains and socks are a dirty pain in the **** to put on and off as you're not meant to drive on tarmac with either, whereas snow/winter tyres can be driven on tarmac at all times if you want it's just that they will begin to wear rapidly over about 7C. I put them on a set of ebay steel wheels in mid December and will leave them on until end of Feb/Mar.

I just drove circa 700 miles each way on tarmac to the alps and back at a good speed ( ) and then waltzed up and down the mountains and around the ski resort while 4X4's including subarus couldn't move ( over 3 feet of snow in one week).

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...xperiences.htm - good review by a user

Studded tyres are illegal over here as we only have a few days of snow covered roads each year on average .

Last edited by Fat Boy; 21 January 2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 22 January 2013, 10:06 AM
DrDiesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M444GY
kleber , nokian . matador would be the ones to look at or just anything other than re070s lol , im on vredesteins sessantas on the wagon and falken 453s on the saloon and they seem fine in the snow tbh. plodding along fine , anything bridgestone is ****e in the snow tbh , re050s , re040s and re070s have been shocking in the snow on cars i have previuosly had , it will make you laugh but the yokohama paradas i had on a few years ago outmatched any tyre in the snow lol .
mags
hey Mags,

Thanx for the tip. My 2 year old Falkens (rear) can lose traction, even in the dry. (perhaps I can be a tad heavy-footed at times)

Can you recommend reasonably priced 'all weather' tyres - if there is such a thing.

cheers
Old 22 January 2013, 10:25 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the reply guys, some much helpful reviews by there, I don't mind stretching the £300 limit by a few quid and by the looks the matadors seem to be working well so will look in to them, any further advice on price mags would be appreciated

How about a group buy
Old 22 January 2013, 02:31 PM
TMX
Scooby Regular

I've had Hankook Icepts and IceBears fitted for the last few winters - never stopped me getting around, even up supposedly 'inpassable' and closed roads
Old 23 January 2013, 02:00 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

This answers most queries