Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Loud squeeking noise when breaking..

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2012, 09:53 PM
JohnnyDavies
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud squeeking noise when breaking..

As above any ideas what this could be it seems to happen at low speeds then the brakes are warm?? Went to see a mechanic and he reckons ive glazed the disc???? I dont break that hard so find that hard to believe.. Any ideas???

My car is a 2004WRX by the way..

Cheers
Johnny

Last edited by JohnnyDavies; 20 December 2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: more details
Old 21 December 2012, 09:04 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

sticky pad or caliper/slider..........brakes full of dust/crap?? myriad of things but unlikely to be a "glazed" disc IMO
Old 21 December 2012, 10:21 AM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Anti squeal shims not fitted?
Old 21 December 2012, 05:26 PM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

My brakes do this, drives me up the wall at times...

My anti squeal shims are fitted, I even discarded the old ones and brought new ones.
Plenty of copper slip
I even took the callipers off the car to clean all the last traces of brake dust...
Made no difference.

I believe on my car it is just down to the pads, currently running Pagid pads with grooved discs.

The OEM pads and discs were fine, no noise at all.
Changed the pads...squealed like hell so very quickly changed the disc as well and it’s no made difference…

I have found though that if you are a bit heavier on the brakes they are fine and don’t squeal even you just lightly apply the brakes for a good few miles and then it returns…almost as if the pads aren’t hot enough most of the time, get some extra heat in them and they are fine

although I have considered just scrapping all the brake pads and discs and replacing them with something else…PF pads and discs for example
Just wether I can justify spending that amount of cash on my brakes when the current brakes are only 20% worn at the most and work perfectly fine just squeal like hell on the odd occassion that i'm driving through town in traffic…maybe when they are down to 50% I might…

Last edited by Cockney Wideboy; 21 December 2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 21 December 2012, 08:24 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

"which" pagid material?? not very common to be noisy................
Old 21 December 2012, 08:55 PM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stockcar
"which" pagid material?? not very common to be noisy................
I think they are 4-2-1s but I could be wrong...they have been on the car a little while now...
Old 22 December 2012, 09:16 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

definately not a noisey pad material so suspect you have a 'bedding' issue or sticky caliper/pad........
Old 22 December 2012, 11:06 AM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

definately not a noisey pad material so suspect you have a 'bedding' issue or sticky caliper/pad........
possibly, although I don't think I could put any more copper slip on the pads also all four brake squeal and it was a night and day thing...new pads in and they squealed instantly and have done ever since...I think it’s a bit to coincidental that suddenly all four callipers would start to stick over night

I guess it could be a bedding issue as to start only the pads where changed and then the disc's so the two haven't bedded into together, which is a little naughty…

I think perhaps it is worth a change all round at some point...problem is because it only does it in slow stop start traffic and I never drive the car in town for months at a time i forget about it for ages...as i say under normal braking they are fine...it’s just when gently touching the brake pedal to slow at slow speeds in traffic (as per the OP if I’ve understood it correctly)...the problem is that brakes are that effective that to use a normal amount of braking force when in busy traffic would see the car behind in my boot
Old 22 December 2012, 12:46 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

quite possibly a conflict with pad material on the discs from the previous pads then?? or possibly they sit on the disc slightly different and 'touch' a lip or groove?

no real need to change as sets (as long as discs are flat/within wear limit) BUT depending on previous pad type it often good practice to scour the discs before new pads

alyn
Old 23 December 2012, 10:06 AM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

quite possibly a conflict with pad material on the discs from the previous pads then?? or possibly they sit on the disc slightly different and 'touch' a lip or groove?

no real need to change as sets (as long as discs are flat/within wear limit) BUT depending on previous pad type it often good practice to scour the discs before new pads

alyn
So this was my initial thought, which is why i then changed the disc's and there is no difference..

So the process was

Original discs plus new Padig pad – Noise straight away, assumed that the new pads just needed bedding in so left it, a few K miles later and it was no different…

So, new disc's fitting leaving the now slightly worn Padig pads fitted - still the same noise issue at low speed....

In total these disks have now done about 6K miles and the pad about 8K miles...discs and pads still look like new...I don't think I use my brakes that much

Many thanks

Chris
Old 23 December 2012, 03:56 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

problem is you could well have "glazed" the pads during the contamination issues with first disc, this would then not have been resolved by fitting new discs.............

take the pads out and using something like 800-1000grit emery paper and a flat surface (sheet of glass works well) - polish off the top layer of material which will likely look extremley shiny
Old 23 December 2012, 04:44 PM
PhilWrx100
Scooby Regular

My05 blob Wrx brakes squeak exactly the same at low speed on brand new mintex 1144 pads and new plain ebc discs. On fitting of the new pads i didn't put back the half shims(anti-squeak) as was missing one. I put up with the squealing for about 4 months until i decided to fit the thin rubber shims that came with pads.
This fixed the problem straight away. So no more squealing at low speed!