Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

New tyre after puncture - uneven axle?

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2002, 12:30 PM
Omen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a pucture last week and was on the motorway. To cut a long story short by the time I realised the tyre wall was damaged so I needed a full new tyre.

Ive fitted the new one but there is a fair amount of difference in tread on the axel now. I know youre supposed to change in pairs but will this cause any problems until I get the other sorted?

Will it make the car brake\accelerate unevenly?? A mate said it might damage the diff?!! Anyone know for sure?

I was on the motorway yesterday and the car seemed to be dancing about (not keeping in a perfect straight line) like it used to and it keeps making me think ive got another flat! The other difference is i had someone in the back which i dont normally have so this may explain difference in handling??

Or could it be rear shocks?

Puzzled.....

Old 06 May 2002, 09:55 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Personally I would change the other tyre as well if there is a big difference in tread depth as this will put extra strain on the diff. A new tyre is cheaper than a new diff!

Most people recommend keeping all 4 tyres to the same tread depth to avoid wearing any of the diffs. I would certainly agree with keeping tyres on the same axle at the same depth, however when it comes to differences between tread on the front and rear there is some debate. The centre diff is of the viscous coupling type (I think)and therefore any mismatch in driveshaft speed will result in increased shearing forces in the oil within the diff, which presumably results in heat. Does this matter? I am not knowledgeable enough to know but I try to keep my tyres equal and replace all 4 at the same time.
Old 07 May 2002, 12:26 AM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what my tiny brain will let me know, if you have a uk car, then you have an LSD on the rear, 'if' the tyres that are different are on the rear, then the diff 'might' not allow as much slip as the tyres want, therefore, you 'might' have an issue there, if the tyres that are different are on the front, then you might not get a problem due to the front having a 'free' diff, course if you got sum kind of odd import then you might have a slipper in the front aswell, that could well cause a problem, personally, I'd get it changed asap, and not do too many miles, and certainly not at high speed, if you are getting diif wind-up, then it'll only get worse with speed.
Ron.
Just my tuppence worth!