Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

HELP NEEDED! ALUMINIUM WHEEL NUTS DESTROYED!

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2011, 10:29 PM
lexus88
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP NEEDED! ALUMINIUM WHEEL NUTS DESTROYED!

Ok here's the story people. I am close to the edge.
I took my car to a local garage last sunday to get a new tyre as I had a slow puncture. What should have been a simple operation has changed into a complete nightmare. As you can see from the picture below, I have the hex locking nuts installed on the car, so the mechanic thought it would be a good idea to put the impact gun on them to get em off. Having no luck with this he got the breaker bar in there and all i hear is a loud crack.
Yep hes f**king snapped my wheel bolt. He then tries chiselling it out but as you can see from the picture below, seems to only have made it worse. At this point I am vexed and still suffering from a hangover.

Anyway, to cut the long story short, ive done some research and it seems whoever done these bolts up before tightened the f*ck out of them and it doesn't help they seem to be some cheap made in taiwan aluminium c*nts. It doesn't help that you need a 3 inch hex adaptor to undo/tighten the nuts as well!As it goes at the moment I have loosened 2 of them put a crack in 2 of them and the monkey done his handy work on the other one. I'm starting to lose my patience now and i know it sounds drastic, but i have considered smashing my breaker bar through the windscreen. Lol on a serious note I have tried the bashing on a slightly smaller socket on the remaining nuts and getting it off that way but all it did was change the shape of the actual nut rather than damage the socket! that shows this must be some cheap sh*t! Any way the next plan I have is possibly using a hole saw to try and remove the monkeys creation but obviously any plans/ideas would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (14).jpg
Views:	0
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	7390  
Old 29 December 2011, 10:38 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

You've got a flat tyre there fella ...

TX.
Old 29 December 2011, 10:39 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tyre weld
Old 29 December 2011, 11:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Here is the reason I wouldn't EVER use alloy nuts on wheels.

You may be able to get someone to weld a piece of alloy to it, but it may end up too brittle once welded.
Old 30 December 2011, 06:32 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

IMO if the tyre will hold air for any length of time, find a place that is used to extracting these bl**dy things.

Remember, apart from the flat tyre, presumably you've got another three wheels with potential for having the same problem.

J.
Old 30 December 2011, 07:36 AM
lexus88
Scooby Regular

tried the tyre weld thing and when i was driving it home on xmas day i hit a pot hole and it exploded. So i ended up driving it near enough on the rim for like a mile. Ye i know im dreading touching the other 3 wheels
Old 30 December 2011, 07:44 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Ensure you have a good selection of sockets available, and in 1mm increments.

Do as you have done, but use a small socket each time the previous socets becomes useless.

Ive had the same problem in the past, I cant recall the socket size byut lets assume it was 19mm but in some fancy locking nut style, I bashed on a 18mm and as you can imagine this did nothing to undo the nut, however it made the nut more socket shaped for the next 17mm socket. I bashed this on and so forth, eventaully ended up with something like a 16mm that eventually gripped the little ******. It came undone without cuasing and harm to the rim, stud or hub.

I feel for you mate, but as pointed on by J above, you really need to be checking the other 15 nuts as if they are also simular you need to be thinking ahead, and at this stage I can only think of one way you'll get round this and it would be pilot hole the front of the nuts so you can see the stud and spray in some release spray and let it work its magic.

Clearly alloys nuts only oxidise and then attempt to grip the stud, and obviously they are also a softer metal which you are finding.

Good look, and I hope you dont need new rims by the end of it

Rob
Old 30 December 2011, 09:12 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

wont a bolt head fit in the nut and then wind 2 or 3 nuts on, tightnen them against themselves and then undo with socket.
Old 30 December 2011, 09:28 AM
lexus88
Scooby Regular

Ok cheers for your help Rob I'll have another go tonight with next socket down hopefully ill have some joy! Jdm Stig na that wont work because the bolts have cracks in them from the hex adaptor.
Old 30 December 2011, 09:37 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

jubilee clip over the outside to stop it opening up?
Old 30 December 2011, 09:49 AM
lexus88
Scooby Regular

Valid point another good idea i'll give it a go thanks
Old 30 December 2011, 02:42 PM
Wagon Gaz
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem used one of the special sockets with a left hand spiral cut insde and very gentle use of my battery impact gun. You can get the sockets most tool places.
Old 03 January 2012, 07:48 PM
lexus88
Scooby Regular

Finally got them off peeps! got a size smaller 12 sided socket and whacked it on the nut they came off no probs! I used the hole saw on the severed one and had it off within like a minute! Minimal damage to the rim and slight damage to the stud but should be able to rethread that or maybe just get a new wheel stud? I'm just happy the pain is now over still waiting for my replacement wheel nuts though hopefully tomorrow so I can get the beast back on the roads!
Old 03 January 2012, 08:05 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

if a nut goes on ok then you should be fine,but they arent that hard to swap if you need to .
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMP...a#ht_500wt_833
Old 04 January 2012, 09:38 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ali nuts should be toque wrenched on only 50lb needed