UK 2004 WRX Standard Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2011, 03:31 PM
MK1ITS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow UK 2004 WRX Standard Brakes

Hi guys

I'm not loving the standard brakes on my 2004 WRX; under heavy braking, there's lots of errmm, can’t really describe the noise apart from try humming as loud as you can, and then lower the volume ......is that brake fade?

They don’t fill me with a huge amount of confidence, so I'd like to set about changing them before I even think about changing the standard power delivery.

The most power that I'd want to step to without reducing my fuel consumption to single figure MPG, is around 350bhp. The reason I mention this as it may be applicable to the best brake setup to go for.

If I need to replace my calliper’s and discs for 330mm items then so be it, just want to hear some 'expert' advice on what people have, what works for them, and what to avoid for the WRX.

Can I just quickly mention that there is a lot of abbreviations/terms used on this forum that I cant as a newbie figure out; I hear talk of 'newage' and other sorts, but I cant make head nor tail of it. What this forum really needs, is a post capturing the impreza history, documenting the different types of imprezas, and what those differences are. If there is such info on this site, I cant find it, but then the mrs always complains I cant find sh1te....

I personally would of liked an STI but I just couldn’t stretch as far as that, but at the same time, I now have a 1(now 2) owner car with 57K on the clock in excellent condition, that I would like to over time, tune to the 350bhp. Scooby Clinic seems a logical place but any other advice would be great. Personally I'd like to do the mods myself, buy some mapping software and hire a RR'd for the afternoon but I'll go with any suggestions.

Apologies to the mods in advance for listing non-wheel,trye,brakes related questions within a post that began with a brake question.....

I'm of to try and fit my AVIC HD3 and speakers, then throw the standard crap in the bin.....

Last edited by MK1ITS; 19 August 2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 19 August 2011, 05:42 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

im running 351bhp 353ft/lb torque on my blobeye with 4 pots on it i just upgraded my discs and pads from ian godney on here and got braided hoses and 5.1 brake fluid alot better now
Old 19 August 2011, 09:19 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My advice, take it or leave it.

Try some Pagid discs and pads, not sure on the supplier that mine were from, but I can get you the part numbers. I've always liked Pagid's and they work really well in mine. Pad choice is very much down to trial and error for want of a better phrase, you might not like what I like.

Add braided hoses, decent fluid, and a brake master cylinder stopper, and you should have a much better pedal feel and better performing brakes.

Google is your friend, as is the search function on here for your other questions.

Your car is a newage, and it's generally referred to as a blob eye.

What this forum doesn't need is anything that will slow it further, like post capture. It's slow enough as it is.

Far too many places to list for advice/parts, couple off the top of my head though,

www.asperformance.com 0191 4103770 Speak to Alyn for brake advice/parts, very helpful and very good pricing.

www.lateralperformance.co.uk - Parts supply

www.carldavey.co.uk - Innovative parts supply

www.andyforrestperformance.co.uk Mapping and info, fastest UK Impreza owner.

www.zenperformance.co.uk Mapping

Loads more, have a hunt on the interweb.
Old 22 August 2011, 01:57 PM
MK1ITS
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info Micky and Peter

So are you saying that the standard disc size on a WRX is adequate for the car?

My PUG406 Coupe had brembos as standard, cant remember what size brakes but they were but as far as brakes are concerned, I always believe bigger is better.

My brothers Seat Ibiza Cupra R has larger front brake discs than mine but less power. His car probably weighs more but I cant help feeling they're too small....

Are the STI brakes bigger?
Old 22 August 2011, 03:12 PM
blink
Scooby Newbie

I have an 03 Blob WRX, I also felt the standard brakes to be sub-standard , I upgraded the Discs front and Rear to Ferodo DS2500, Ferodo 5.1 brake fluid, Goodridge Braided hoses and a Tegiwa brake stopper. I noticed a very good improvment with these upgrades and does the Job fine for me. My car is running around 240bhp and I plan to go up to 270-275 with this set-up.
Old 22 August 2011, 03:23 PM
MK1ITS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blink
I have an 03 Blob WRX, I also felt the standard brakes to be sub-standard , I upgraded the Discs front and Rear to Ferodo DS2500, Ferodo 5.1 brake fluid, Goodridge Braided hoses and a Tegiwa brake stopper. I noticed a very good improvment with these upgrades and does the Job fine for me. My car is running around 240bhp and I plan to go up to 270-275 with this set-up.
Hi blink

What did this lot set you back?

Be good to know the difference between all this and a larger set of brakes which I am leaning towards.....depending on how we get on with this car, it may well see some track action later in its life, where larger brakes definitely play their part....

I learnt the hard way with my 300zx which I tuned to 450bhp, the uprated front brakes were still of standard diameter which were well below what the car needed even standard, so this time round, it brakes first! lol
Old 22 August 2011, 03:49 PM
blink
Scooby Newbie

Ferodo brake pads front and rear £200, Braided Hoses £70, Brake Fluid £15 ish, Brake Stopper £30
Old 22 August 2011, 03:59 PM
MK1ITS
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by blink
Ferodo brake pads front and rear £200, Braided Hoses £70, Brake Fluid £15 ish, Brake Stopper £30
Does that £200 include discs or were they extra?
Old 22 August 2011, 04:00 PM
MDS_WRX
Scooby Regular

Talk to Ian @ godspeedbrakes.co.uk, he'll give you some advice on what options you have for your budget. Or PM him to respond here
Old 22 August 2011, 04:15 PM
blink
Scooby Newbie

£200 is for pads only
Old 22 August 2011, 04:32 PM
MK1ITS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MDS_WRX
Talk to Ian @ godspeedbrakes.co.uk, he'll give you some advice on what options you have for your budget. Or PM him to respond here
Many thanks; I'll drop him a message now.....
Old 22 August 2011, 04:43 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

All you need to know about model history here

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/SidcFaq/SidcFaq

Welcome to ownership of one of the most expensive cars I have ever owned. Imprezas have been known to reduce your bank account faster than a divorcing wife LOL

Old 22 August 2011, 06:34 PM
MK1ITS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by his-n-her-scoobs
All you need to know about model history here

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/SidcFaq/SidcFaq

Welcome to ownership of one of the most expensive cars I have ever owned. Imprezas have been known to reduce your bank account faster than a divorcing wife LOL

lol thanks mate; good bedtime reading that.

Well I threw £25k at my 300zx and by god was it an animal by the time I finished; the only thing I didnt manage myself was the maps....

This car is for work purposes too so I dont want to turn up to clients houses with it all pimped out, it'll give the wrong message, but upgrading items like brakes, engine, exhaust, seats possibly?, stereo, can be quite stealth as long as the exhaust isnt too loud!.....I like the standard wheels, although it could do with being lowered very slightly but then I don't want to compromise the ride quality...so that'll probably never happen....