Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Does anyone find their car "tramlines", ie tries to pull one way without warning?

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2011, 11:07 PM
matth76
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone find their car "tramlines", ie tries to pull one way without warning?

Hi

I assume this is tramlining - every now and then driving down a dual carriageway my car will pull one way, normally to the right, so much so I have to make sure I'm holding the steering wheel firmly. It will last for a couple of seconds and then be back to normal. The roads round here are pretty rubbish so tramlining was my first though. Is this common in four wheel drive cars? This happens both when accelerating and also driving at a constant speed. My car is a hawkeye sti with the oem bridgestone re070 tyres, stock suspension. Apparently my steering rack has some very minor wear on one side (was a bit of a surprise as car just over 4 yrs old, which was discovered by a garage a week ago when they fitted some parts to my car. Would this cause my symptoms above, or is what I am experiencing tramlining?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by matth76; 27 June 2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 28 June 2011, 01:20 AM
prodrive jedi
Scooby Regular

Sounds like tramlining for sure mate,especially running on those particular tyres, i had them originally on mine when i first got her, switched to conti 2's and it stopped more or less. Poor road surface doesn't help matters much either
Old 28 June 2011, 08:11 AM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

i would go for tramlining ran bridgestones reo 50's on my 55 plate wrx and dreaded going on the motorway cause it would tramline trrible now got a sti with dunlop sports and dont have any probs
Old 28 June 2011, 12:55 PM
stealthy1
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem,when I got my sti it had re070 on the front and hankooks on the back.I have since had new proxes fitted and haven't had a problem since.
I didn't know wether to put it down to the bridgestones or the fact that I had different tires front to back.
Old 28 June 2011, 02:40 PM
Mikey Ace
Scooby Regular

some bridgestones suffer very badly with this. stiff sidewall construction sometimes is the culprit, going for very large diameter wheels and, therefore, very low profile tyres can introduce this issue too.

My car behaves much better on goodyear eagle f1 gsd3 tyres. I would recommend them to anyone in a scooby

Mikey
Old 28 June 2011, 04:36 PM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

Have you checked your tyre pressures ??

How worn are your RE070's ?? Mine have about 5mm on them and I have not noticed any excessive tramlining, even over a 2k mile trip upto and around Scotland back in April.
Old 01 July 2011, 06:03 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I notice this more on mine when the tyres start to get low, like 3mm and below. Although I have Vredesteins on at the moment that are 4 to 5mm and the Nottingham ring road pulls you all over the place anyway! LOL
Old 01 July 2011, 11:14 PM
STiLtd
Scooby Regular

The 070s are renowned for that....and mine were terrible on certain roads (especially towards the end of their life).

I debated whether to get another set, as they were great tyres, but decided on Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s for a change....and they're fantastic so far. More comfortable, no tramlining, quieter.....
Old 02 July 2011, 12:41 AM
matth76
Scooby Regular

Yes mine are getting quite low.. probably need changing in next three months I reckon, maybe four if lucky. Thanks for all the replies . I'm actually looking to replace with Vredesteins when the time comes.. should last a fair bit longer than my re070's and they're also a fair bit cheaper which is good, and good in all weather. They seem to get very good reviews. I think it's the "Ultrac Sessanta" version of Vredesteins which are supposed to be very good for the high performance car.. not sure if there's another version of Vredestein which is better, if there is another version.

Last edited by matth76; 02 July 2011 at 12:43 AM.