Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Squealing brakes on my new age

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2011, 05:28 PM
prodrive jedi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squealing brakes on my new age

Pulling my hair out with my squealing brakes at the moment, i've had new OE discs on the front about 3 months ago with apec pads, not my choice of pads but i was assured they were a good alternative to the original brembo pads. Problem is their doing my head in with the squealing, seems to be only under moderate braking, low speed braking not an issue, high speed aggresive braking fine. i've had the pads out and my cleaned my calipers up, all back in fully copper greased by the book.
Can only put it down to the pad compound not being totally suited to the disk...maybe...maybe not...
open to all suggestions, please feel free to add any input

Cheers
Old 27 June 2011, 06:31 PM
Baz82
Scooby Regular

File the face of the pads lightly and refit
Old 27 June 2011, 08:53 PM
mohawk
Scooby Regular

My rears are doing the same!! Really embarrassed when I pull up to a junction or to stop. They have been doing it ever since I fitted new discs and pads (oe brembos) and it is really starting to p*ss me off
Old 27 June 2011, 09:34 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

I think it's just a Brembo thing. Mine also squeal especially at low-speed reversing.
Old 27 June 2011, 10:11 PM
matth76
Scooby Regular

I have got the same thing! Only got the pads fitted last Saturday and I look as though I dont maintain the car as it is so loud and embarassing like you say lol.
Old 27 June 2011, 10:12 PM
matth76
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopperman
I think it's just a Brembo thing. Mine also squeal especially at low-speed reversing.
The pads on my car when I bought it never did this.. and they were half worn, so don't think it's a brembo thing. It must be to do with how the pads are fitted possibly by the garage, or alternatively a build up of brake dust?

Last edited by matth76; 27 June 2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 28 June 2011, 01:11 AM
prodrive jedi
Scooby Regular

Gonna try the suggestion of lightly filing the face of the pads as suggested by BAZ 82.
I'll post if i get any joy
Old 28 June 2011, 08:35 AM
redwards
Scooby Regular

Post up the results, I'm getting the same problem, just haven't been bother to look at it yet!
Old 28 June 2011, 08:51 AM
chaffe
Scooby Regular

Man up, I think its very rally-esc when your brakes sqeal.
Old 30 June 2011, 01:49 PM
matth76
Scooby Regular

Any joy with this?
Old 30 June 2011, 01:50 PM
chaffe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matth76
Any joy with this?
what more can he do? appart from change the pads to a different compound? nothing
Old 30 June 2011, 06:45 PM
matth76
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chaffe
what more can he do? appart from change the pads to a different compound? nothing
He was going to try the following:
"Gonna try the suggestion of lightly filing the face of the pads as suggested by BAZ 82.
I'll post if i get any joy"
Old 30 June 2011, 07:46 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

So its not just me put DS2500's in my rear gold Brembos and they are squeeling like a pig, REALLY loud only on light braking, apply the pedal a bit harder and it disappears

I've had the pads out & cleaned them thoroughly as well as the callipers & pins that hold the pads in place, it worked for about 5 minutes before the noise started again! I was wandering if the spring plate that goes under the pins was in upside down? wandering if its just a bad match of pad & disc compounds > still have standard rear discs on?

The next thing I was thinking of trying is running the rear callipers without the spring plate in, where does the noise come from

I run DS2500s on my front APs without a hint of squeeling?

HELP!!!
Lee.
Old 30 June 2011, 07:50 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

did you re-fit the s/steel noise shims??

alyn
Old 30 June 2011, 10:20 PM
obey1
Scooby Regular

Default BRAKES

ive got the same on bugeye with brembos sems to be on the rear yes it is annoying just lived with it
Old 02 July 2011, 12:49 AM
matth76
Scooby Regular

i had no brake squeal at all on my old oem pads with brembos. It's definitely the pads, not the brembo calipers since I had no noise before. Although EBC's site says it can take up to 500 miles for the squeal noise (which they say is normal on new pads) to finally disappear. The shims should reduce it but it should eventually disappear by 300-500 miles (according to their website). My brake noise is only faint.. normally from only very slow stops, like in stop start traffic, sometimes moderate speed too.

Last edited by matth76; 02 July 2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02 July 2011, 12:45 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

Just had my car up at a rolling road whilst the chap span my car around to put it on the rollers he commented not only on the squeeling but also the knocking noice, my pads are moving around in the calliper. He said all you need to do is add a "shim" to cut down on the pad movement and the knocking noise will disappear, more than likely the squeeling will will stop as well?

Apparently you can purchase "anti squeel plates" for the back of your pads > if anyone finds someone who sells these please let me know

Lee.
Old 02 July 2011, 04:53 PM
JMCarbon
Former Sponsor

Ive got the bluestuff ndx with the brembos and they squeel like hell , mainly at slow speeds say when you're pulling up at traffic lights etc.

done about 600 miles on the pads and disks so hopefully when they wear in a bit more it might go away.
Old 04 July 2011, 08:10 AM
chaffe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matth76
He was going to try the following:
how will that help long term? when the pads wear in again it will be just the same
Old 04 July 2011, 09:02 AM
beliblisk
Scooby Regular

I have DS2500 all around and i really like the "sound" they make befor car stops

Cost of the glory,lol.
Old 05 July 2011, 01:59 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

The harder the pad compound the more chance you have of brake squeal, it is good practice to use shims with plenty of copper grease aplied to the rear of the pads and the calipers faces! This should stop the squeal.
Old 11 July 2011, 09:46 PM
zayd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Toffee
Just had my car up at a rolling road whilst the chap span my car around to put it on the rollers he commented not only on the squeeling but also the knocking noice, my pads are moving around in the calliper. He said all you need to do is add a "shim" to cut down on the pad movement and the knocking noise will disappear, more than likely the squeeling will will stop as well?

Apparently you can purchase "anti squeel plates" for the back of your pads > if anyone finds someone who sells these please let me know

Lee.
Most non-oem pads come with the shims already attached to the pad. I had some fitted to my recently purchased Sti and the noise I get is knocking at very low speeds. This is like you say, the pads moving around in the calipers. Luckily, I don't get any squealing though. I bought my pads from Jap Import car parts and they were very cheap. The pads are actually rather good, even at hard braking.
Old 11 July 2011, 09:55 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zayd
Most non-oem pads come with the shims already attached to the pad. I had some fitted to my recently purchased Sti and the noise I get is knocking at very low speeds. This is like you say, the pads moving around in the calipers. Luckily, I don't get any squealing though. I bought my pads from Jap Import car parts and they were very cheap. The pads are actually rather good, even at hard braking.
Well I bit the bullet today and rang RCM, bought the rear anti squeel plates at £13 each .....x4 £52 for the rears ah well, looking forward to some silent motoring
Old 11 July 2011, 10:36 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

Let us know if there work, I have the same issue's with my front k sports, mind you i thing its only the drivers side making the noise,
Old 11 July 2011, 11:14 PM
sean95wrx
Scooby Regular

i like a bit of brake squealing, it reminds me of my missus when i stick in trap 2

but on a serious note

some decent grease behind the pads works wonders.
don't use copper slip as it is carcnagenic (spelling) use a high temp graphite grease instead
Old 11 July 2011, 11:23 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sean95wrx
i like a bit of brake squealing, it reminds me of my missus when i stick in trap 2

but on a serious note

some decent grease behind the pads works wonders.
don't use copper slip as it is carcnagenic (spelling) use a high temp graphite grease instead
Personally I have tried everything to stop the squeeling, and it aint a little bit either like others have stated its at its worst when only partially braking at slowish speeds, but mine is proper loud. Also the pads are always rattling around whilst driving so personally I cant wait for the plates to arrive, fingers crossed they do the business, I will let you know if they work
Old 11 July 2011, 11:28 PM
pigSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sean95wrx
Old 21 July 2011, 09:23 AM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Toffee
Personally I have tried everything to stop the squeeling, and it aint a little bit either like others have stated its at its worst when only partially braking at slowish speeds, but mine is proper loud. Also the pads are always rattling around whilst driving so personally I cant wait for the plates to arrive, fingers crossed they do the business, I will let you know if they work

Did you get the plates installed ?? Make any difference ?
Old 21 July 2011, 11:55 AM
fawor
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JMCarbon
Ive got the bluestuff ndx with the brembos and they squeel like hell , mainly at slow speeds say when you're pulling up at traffic lights etc.

done about 600 miles on the pads and disks so hopefully when they wear in a bit more it might go away.
Ive got blue ndx on ksport kit and they stopped squeeling after 2000 miles
maybe i have no pads
Old 21 July 2011, 05:52 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DT-SPD
Did you get the plates installed ?? Make any difference ?
Plates not arrived yet? unusual for the guys at RCM, parts usually arrive very quickly, no bother they will be here soon enough. After they are put on I will remember to let you know how I get on

Lee.

Quick Reply: Squealing brakes on my new age