Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

AP 6 Pots

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2002, 05:18 PM
simonburton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missed out on the last group buy - can anyone suggest the most cost effective place to purchase from

Si
Old 19 April 2002, 07:25 PM
Joseph
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mail me offline
J.
Old 19 April 2002, 09:36 PM
Seamus300
Scooby Regular

Question

Maybe a new group buy opportunity????
Old 19 April 2002, 09:58 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Simon, try speaking to Fiona at Hi-Spec. 01322 286850

Dan
Old 20 April 2002, 08:16 AM
simonburton
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies

Si
Old 20 April 2002, 12:19 PM
matt b
Scooby Regular

I just picked up the kit with drilled 48vane discs for £1570.Came direct from AP, all properly boxed up with Pagid RS421'S. Took about three weeks as apparently AP consider us non F1/touring car team lot to be barely worth bothering with.

If thats any good ask for Justin 01233 500384.Excellent bloke. Mention my name.

cheers
matt
Old 20 April 2002, 12:33 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Just a word of advice with regards to drilled AP's....

Several people I know have recently purchased a set of new AP's which came with the drilled discs ....these are fine for normal road use BUT...(and I can put you onto the people that this has happened to),if you are considering doing the odd track day DO NOT GO FOR DRILLED DISCS...keep with the grooved....several drilled discs have recently cracked badly and only after 6 laps up at Cadwell

Just my input peeps
Old 20 April 2002, 04:14 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Yep, Chris is correct, if you're considering any track work, don't go for drilled discs.

The kit we developed with AP Racing some time back now, was deliberately specified with a totally different grooved disc for this very reason (and ours are cheaper than the price mentioned by Matt b above).

Mike.
Scooby Mania

[Edited by Mike Tuckwood - 4/20/2002 4:15:00 PM]
Old 20 April 2002, 08:43 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although not APs, I just cracked my Black Diamond drilled discs (I wanted grooved but drilled was all I could get at the time) on my first track day with the 4 pot Subaru calipers - and I was not going hard enough to get any brake fade at all - I was told they would not crack. As above that is clearly incorrect.
Old 20 April 2002, 09:39 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Mike, is it true that AP do two different types of disc. One for road, and one for track?

Dan
Old 21 April 2002, 09:07 AM
matt b
Scooby Regular

Mike
I would have preferred to have gone through you but i missed the xmas sale and after that Justin told me you were (with No exceptions) back to full price. £1760 odd i think according to my memory and your site.Have things changed?

I wouldn't disagree with the above comments re drilled and grooved. I would have preferred grooved but i have no intention whatsoever of taking my car around the track (IMHO i stress: once youve added up the costs of an average- trackday-dayitself, insurance, petrol, tyres plus the service afterwards youve normally not got much change from £7-800)Thats what karting is for.

If Mike can match that price then go for it. Youve got the added security of having them fitted at the same time and by blokes who have done the exact same job hundreds of times (see other threads re discs being put on the wrong way round etc.)

Old 21 April 2002, 11:14 PM
tezza
Scooby Regular

matt B
3 weeks from AP! Got mine next day.
Terry
Old 22 April 2002, 12:56 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
matt, where do you get £7-800 for a track day ? More like £200-250 including entry/fuel/brakes/tyres (your insurance should already have you covered).

John, not surprised! Get some pukka kit. ScoobySport's Pagid grooved discs can take some hammer at sensible money, but Godspeed discs with alloy bells are probably the best thing this side of a Full Monty upgrade. But Knockhill is hard on brakes and if you think you've got the bug, save yourself a load of time, money and grief and go straight for an APR kit under 17s with DS2500 pads.

On the other hand, you could always make some yourself

Cheers (and thanks for your advice in the past),

Richard.
Old 22 April 2002, 09:01 AM
matt b
Scooby Regular

Hoppy
I don't have track ins built in so im using the 1 day only quotes which when you build in a decent amount of accidental damage has come to £150-200.
Ive read that the average track-day with all its stresses equates to v approx 10k road use and therefore a oil change etc afterwards is a must. do you subscribe to that?
-You've obviously have done loads of trackdays so i aint gonna argue with you. Especially as you did such a good job of persuading me to get the ap6's in the first place- and im now one happy chap!!

Hoppy one ques on the ap's whilst im here- the bedding in guide suggests steady brakes for the first 100 miles until the disc "turns a light/dark tempered blue colour around the mounting bolts". Ive done all that and the discs are a nice light graphite colour. They certainly are not a a blue colour and anyway the mounting bolts are attached to the grey painted bell. Then the first 5mm of the disc doesn't make contact with the pad. So what should i be looking for

The AP ordering time seem to vary dependent on when they last did a batch. My AP's were originally gonna be a next day delivery but by the time AP had got my cash the last kit had been sold. so i had to wait for the next run.
Still the waiting made the receiving so much sweeter!

Regards
Old 22 April 2002, 09:26 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Hoppy
I was paying £320 for a decent amount of cover for track day insurance on the WRX last year. The STi7 will no doubt be dearer.

This would put the price of a track day up to probably £600 minimum when this, the entry, petrol, tyre wear etc was taken into account.

This is why I won't be doing track days this year

As said, a day's karting is about £50 each, or a rally day £300, and you thrash other people's machinery, not yours.

Old 22 April 2002, 05:34 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
matt/dave if you're costing in insurance at that kind of level, I'm not surprised you don't do track days. And I wouldn't be either. Guess I'm lucky on the insurance front.

But what do you get for that? I would be very unhappy if I damaged my car seriously, and none too pleased if I was hurt in the process. But what really puts the fear of God into me is the prospect of somehow hurting a third party. The guilt would be bad enough, but if you've not got some heavy-duty cover for that, I say track-day insurance is of questionably value.

Yes, I do change the oil after every track day - £30. And if track days really do 10,000 miles of wear in a day, then there are a lot of Scoobs with a quarter of a million miles on them. In other words, I don't believe that.

Final question - what is the point of owning a Scoob, or any other serious performance car, if you don't exploit it's potential? And a track day is the only place you can do that either legally or safely.

Agree about karting, and many is the time I've thought hard about having a go. But corporate days don't really do it for me. Too much health and safety and dog-slow karts which should really be on the scrap heap.

So then I'd be looking to do Rotax enduros - very fast, good rubber, reliable. Prolly the cheapest way to go kart racing, but still £3k for a kart and some spares, £1k on clothing/helmet, £300 in consumables per race. And that's before the big costs of trailer, awning, caravan or motorhome. Been there, done that, still got debts to prove it

Back on topic! Matt, I know what you mean about the APR discs not turning blue. I've bedded in two new sets now, and neither of them went blue at all! Glad you like them

Best regards,

Richard.

[Edited by Hoppy - 4/22/2002 11:43:14 PM]
Old 22 April 2002, 06:08 PM
simonburton
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the feed back - ordered the AP's today. Get fitted in approx. 2-3 weeks

Si