Brake noise at very low speed - pads and disks all ok

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2011, 12:34 AM
matth76
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake noise at very low speed - pads and disks all ok

Hi
When I am driving slowly and pull to a stop slowly I can hear what sounds like the brakes making a faint grinding noise. I can't really describe the noise as it is very quiet but it is definitely audiable. It sounds closest to a faint grinding noise. It's not really audiable when driving more quickly and pulling to a stop. The braking all feels fine, although they do occasionally feel a bit "spongy" and you have to press hard sometimes to make them become more effective. The pads have plenty left on them and the disks all look fine. Could this just be a simple case of brake dust or something ele? Anyone else get this? My car is a 2006 hawkeye sti typ uk with ppp, and as standard it also has brembo brake calipers. My wheels are the standard sti 17" size.
Thanks for any help and info.
Matt
Old 22 April 2011, 02:09 AM
P1 LTD
Scooby Regular

Was the same at low speeds! I checked the pad and disc was fine aswell! But when putting the brakes back together i noticed not alot of copper grease on the back of pads! So copper greased them up! Seem to be okay now!
Old 22 April 2011, 01:14 PM
matth76
Scooby Regular

Thanks. I assume I need to remove the pads to do this? I'm a bit of a novice
Old 22 April 2011, 05:01 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

It could just be dirt or bits of gravel lodged in there, first I get a hose and clean them out see if that helps.
Old 22 April 2011, 05:26 PM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

I get a similar noise and also uneven wear on rear discs ( see my other thread ). Not had many replies about it but I am starting to think the pads may be tight in the calipers and therefore staying in touch with the disc a little too much when brakes are not in use. This could also explain the uneven wear Ive got and the noise you have noticed.

I am planning to pull the pads and check when I get back home next week.

What do your disc surfaces look like ?? Good even wear or a bit patchy wear like mine ??
Old 23 April 2011, 05:48 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DT-SPD
I get a similar noise and also uneven wear on rear discs ( see my other thread ). Not had many replies about it but I am starting to think the pads may be tight in the calipers and therefore staying in touch with the disc a little too much when brakes are not in use. This could also explain the uneven wear Ive got and the noise you have noticed.

I am planning to pull the pads and check when I get back home next week.

What do your disc surfaces look like ?? Good even wear or a bit patchy wear like mine ??
Your symptoms sound like a seized caliper?
Old 23 April 2011, 05:51 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

matth76
The brakes are quite noisy on Impreza'a due to large discs and hard compound pads.
Get them checked somewhere if your worried but it sounds normal to me, or take them out your self its only a 10 minute job which is very easy.
Old 23 April 2011, 10:39 PM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greatgonzo
Your symptoms sound like a seized caliper?
When I fitted the new discs and pads about 2k miles ago all the calipers were working fine so would be surprised if one has seized. Will check them out next week when I get home.

Did 500 miles in the car today and brakes feel fine but rear disc surface still wearing oddly not matter how hard the brakes are used.
Old 23 April 2011, 10:47 PM
skinner
Scooby Regular

could be a low pad on the inside edge which is hard to see.
Old 24 April 2011, 12:22 AM
matth76
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies. I haven't noticed any un-even wear on any of the disks and I only get the faint noise when pressing the brakes at slow speed however I don't hear anything if I am just driving slowly.

One thing I do occasionally get is what sounds like a sticky/seized brake (I assume caliper) when I release the handbrake and pull away off my driveway when my car has been sat over night, so this could be related. Although it only happens if the car's been sat for a long time (or oddly I get it after I have washed the wheels sometimes so not sure if water has some effect) and always "un-seizes" straight away (I just here a small "click" which I've heard on other cars that had had a sticky hand brake). Im not overly bothered by the noise but was curious as what might be causing it (just one of those niggles I'll have to put up with). I assume brakes probably aren't covered under a main dealer warranty.

Last edited by matth76; 24 April 2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 24 April 2011, 12:40 AM
skinner
Scooby Regular

The handbrake on your car is the same set up as a drum brake without a wheelcylinder.Then you have your caliper on your disc they are seprate to each other unlike some cars were the caliper is the handbrake as well.Dont worrie about it making a bit of a bang if the car has been left a few days.After you wash it there will be a small amount of rust built up in the drum part if you then leave your car. Mine grindes like mad after a week if i wash it and dont use it.After using the brakes a few time the pads clean it all off.