Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

New Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2002, 01:48 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last service back in October said that back discs were 60% worn.

The brakes do now feel s**t all round (although car is MY96 which I understand only have crappy 2 pots anyway), not sure what life the front components have left but am thinking of upgrades all round.

Phoned local subaru dealer (Lavender Hill) to enquire about cost of rear discs...........£120 each!!! Is this the going rate? Once I've added labour and vat I'm looking at £300.00 plus just to change the back discs. I take it the front discs will be even more expensive?

Can anyone advise how much they paid for new brakes (front, back or both from dealers?

Would love to get some Brembo jobbies but cant afford £1,500 odd. Have decided to go for Scoobysport GroupN kit at approx £300.00 + Vat and fitting for front (discs, pads, hoses) and £240 odd for rear (discs and pads). Anyone had this done, if so, any significant improvement over standard brakes.

It seems cheaper to have this done at Scoobysport and get a better product than to get stock components fitted by Subaru. Can't see the logic there, have I got something wrong?

Prefer dealing with Scoobysport as opposed to dealers anyway, much more helpful and accomodating in all dealings I've had.

Thanks in advance for any help/comments

Chris
Old 16 April 2002, 04:10 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've just fitted godspeed grooved discs all round. 4 discs, mintex 1144 front pads and kevlar rear pads came to £400. I collected and fitted them myself. I have standard subaru 4 pots and my new discs are standard size.

Braking performance is much improved and no more rusty centre to the disc as these are passivated.
Old 19 April 2002, 12:03 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Cheers Doc,

Anyone else got any views?

I know this is being done to death on here at the moment but any help much appreciated.
Old 23 April 2002, 04:39 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Old 23 April 2002, 06:16 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

I was under the impression that Group N discs are plain. Can someone therefore explain the benefits of these over standard assuming the quality is the same?

Bren
Old 23 April 2002, 08:08 PM
ROGERM
Scooby Regular

Chris you cant beat the Pagid set up for the money, I have used the fast road pads & grooved disc's until I changed to the 4 pots & Pagid RS42 pads,GO FOR IT!!!!
Roger
Old 24 April 2002, 01:01 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Bren 'Group N' is an utterly meaningless term which, because of its racing overtones, suggests high performance. As I think you know, that's tosh.

The discs referred to above are, I'm guessing, Pagids. They are made of much better material and are grooved.

Richard.
Old 24 April 2002, 01:17 AM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Well group N is after all the standard production class... Therefore they will be standard discs!!!! Just a lot of people will think they are rally discs from the name. Rear discs ( vented ) can be expensive. Solid rears are a lot cheaper.
Old 24 April 2002, 02:18 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

OK, now I'm really confused

Roger, are you saying that the scoobysport set up I refer to uses the pagid products? If so, I've heard lots of people recommend these so they seem like the best and cheapest option.

I think the price for the rear discs I've been quoted are grooved and therefore better and cheaper than parts supplied by local dealer???

Cheers for your help, any further comments welcome!
Old 24 April 2002, 02:35 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Group N discs cannot be grooved or drilled. They may however be made of better quality material than the standard items. However, genuine Gp N stuff (designed for rally use) is likely to wear out pretty quickly as I don't think there are restrictions on how often you're allowed to change discs, pads etc.
You're better off getting the pagid set-up, which I believe has grooved discs.
Old 25 April 2002, 12:18 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Chris, Pagid = good Their front grooved discs are well regarded.

But according to Scoobysport's price list, they only make solid rears. Rears for MY99-00 cars are vented, like those supplied by Godspeed (see Mellow's thread). You'll need to check fitting as vented discs are obviously wider.

I'd be interested to hear if Pagid make vented and grooved rear discs for MY99-00 cars.

Richard.