Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Who supplies prodrive with...

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2002, 05:14 PM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi can anyone tell me who supplies prodrive with there group n discs? I've been told by a reputable Rally supplier here in ireland that Bradi (thx Rich) supply the discs... reason being Id like to uprate my discs and pads on the cheap ahem... and he is offering them at a resonable time/price

Cheers
Old 12 April 2002, 05:51 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Question

Whoever supply group N discs would likely be under contract to not supply elsewhere?

Are you competing in group N, if not, why would you want to limit yourself to the relatively poor group N spec items?

Mike.
Old 12 April 2002, 07:16 PM
tntsystems
Scooby Regular

i found the best cheap upgrade (i didnt want to spend 1500 quid on prodrive conversion and bigger wheels) to be EBC redstuff pads, and APEXI (made by brembo ) compatible discs. If you have the patience for 100 miles of fairly careful bedding in, these are as good as any, and cheaper than the subaru ones! I was unlucky in that i have a "oddball" car using forester brakes, and paid 100 quid for the pads, you should get yours for around 50 quid. I got thew discs from a local autoparts supplier trade counter, just say you work at a local garage or summat. I was surprised when they nearly threw me through the windscreen and reckon they are the mutts i would also recommend goodridge braided hoses, as these sharpen up the braking response a bit too. If you are going to do it yourself, i suggest doing what i did, removing the calipers and cleaning with brake cleaner and a wire brush, then painting with high temp engine lacquer (this is around £5 a tin as opposed to the £30 price some car mag ads charge for brake caliper lacquer and does the same job). All in all, i spent 200 quid doing it and the braking power is significantly better, the pads just need a couple of braking attempts before they warm up then wahey!! make sure u got a seatbelt on... VFM factor 10/10 yours should only cost you 150 quid assuming you dont have an oddball!
Old 12 April 2002, 09:00 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Question

Mike are you saying that there is something wrong with the Prodrive group N disks,absoloutly nothing wrong with them we have had them on our car for just over a year and half and they are still as good as new and the have a better bell on them than most other disks on the market i would say.

Huxley

Ps. Mike did you get my Email re the LEd's?
Old 13 April 2002, 10:30 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Huxley.

Yes I got the mail, I'm stacked out though, I'll sort that out with you as imminantly.

No, I'm just saying that "Group N" means they can't modify the design in any way, all they can do is make them from better quality material, (grey cast iron usually) and that only gives them maybe an extra 10%?

"Group N" discs often only get used for one stage and then get thrown!
We hasve had nothing but favourable reports back having supplied Black Diamond Discs for the past 2 years.

Mike.
Old 13 April 2002, 10:43 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Prodrive used to (may still) use Alcon for their grp N discs.

There was some talk of them not being totally legal for grp N as they have turbo vaning in the centre and the standard disc does not. As Mike says though, grp N can be a low spec for something, as it has a short life expectancy.

When you take a good grey cast disc, heat treat it and groove it, then you can end up with something worth having.

The track is the ultimate test on discs. Find out what other people are using to guage what copes with abuse the best.
Old 16 April 2002, 10:33 AM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replys lads... the reason i was going for group n is becos the car still has warranty, i wanted to upgrade but not to a disc which could cause warranty probs...

Cheers
Fergal
Old 16 April 2002, 11:01 AM
alistair
Scooby Senior

I've got Prodrive disks and they were made by Alcon.

The original Subaru ones were badly cracked by 10k, tried some other group N disks and they lasted about 15k and now the Alcon ones have done 13k and look fine so far, no cracks at all. (Using Mintex 1155's)
Old 16 April 2002, 03:52 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

alistair,

curious - what other group N discs have you tried than only lasted 15k miles ? I am comming to the EOL of my discs and was going to go for some group Ns.

Cheers

T.

[Edited by Trumble - 4/16/2002 3:53:07 PM]
Old 18 April 2002, 08:24 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Wink

Mail me off line