Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Caliper Bolts - Nightmare!!

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2011, 12:41 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Caliper Bolts - Nightmare!!

I'm trying to change my pads and discs (2002 STi) and the caliper bolts seem seized solid........ Any suggestions?

Just to be sure, it is a standard and not right hand thread? Gonna try heat next.....
Old 11 January 2011, 12:48 PM
Wagon Gaz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carefull with the heat you will f the seals in the caliper
Old 11 January 2011, 12:50 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

The Gold Brembo's are notorious for this.

Thread on mine got stripped when mechanic undid mine. He managed to source another and had mine heli-coiled.

I think you will just need to bite the bullet go for it and it will likely strip the thread meaning you need to heli-coil.

HTH.
Old 11 January 2011, 12:50 PM
Wagon Gaz
Scooby Regular

6 sided socket and a 2ft breaker bar usually free mine
Old 11 January 2011, 12:51 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Make sure you use a 6 sided socket and large breaker bar. Dont use a 12/18 sided socket as this will round the bolt head. Will come free with a long enough bar on the end. If you need extra force I sometimes put the jack handle over the breaker bar to make it longer. Always works, never snaps! Good luck.
Old 11 January 2011, 12:59 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

Don't know if it's any use mate but lately when working on turbo/header studs etc... I have started using something called shock and unlock from Halfords, it's supposed to work on the same principal as heat but uses cold instead. Seems to work, I use it in conjunction with plus gas. Think it was less than a fiver a can?
Old 11 January 2011, 06:49 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help guys I managed to get them undone using the scissor jack....... As crazy as it sounds I placed it under the wrench and gently wound it up and back it off several times, eventually it broke them and I got both out with stripping the threads

Not an ideal solution but when you've got things as seized and tight as this you have to try everything....... A breaker bar would be ideal but as the car is on axle stands it limits the size as you either hit the underside or the inner arch.

Now my disc(s) are seized on solid, any ideas on those??
Old 11 January 2011, 06:56 PM
Wooffy
Scooby Regular

Do the discs have the two small m8 threaded holes close to the hub like the classic imprezas? If so just wind an M8 bolt into each of them and they should come off no problem.
Old 11 January 2011, 06:57 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wooffy
Do the discs have the two small m8 threaded holes close to the hub like the classic imprezas? If so just wind an M8 bolt into each of them and they should come off no problem.
I think you might be right mate, I'll have to nosey at it tomorrow when I start round two...........
Old 12 January 2011, 11:08 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Strike down on the edge of the hub area (ie 90 geg to disc face) on the disc with a 4 lb club hammer to release the rust/sticking. A shock in this direction is what is required to shift it.
Old 13 January 2011, 08:07 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D1CCY
Strike down on the edge of the hub area (ie 90 geg to disc face) on the disc with a 4 lb club hammer to release the rust/sticking. A shock in this direction is what is required to shift it.
You Sir were quite correct

I've had a damn nightmare with these brakes I'm pretty handy with a spanner but I'll admit cars are not my forte and that's apparent when you hit little snags that others will have encountered before that hold you up, whereas they'd know the fix instantly.

I've been in bed the last day or so which held me up as well, but I got the caliper off, disc off only to find the pads (Bluestuff) would not fit into the caliper......... Had to spend an age filing down the sides of them to get them to slide in, even then it took the odd tap with a toffee hammer.

One side done I then had to remove the old brake line to fit the new HEL Stainless one. Again bit of a nightmare, 8 years worth of crap around the hard line connection made it interesting.

All done now, just got to bleed tomorrow, then do the pads and discs on the other side and then the rear brake lines.......... Hoping there's no damage to the hard brake line as it was a right pain to remove the old hose and I'm sure it twisted slightly.........

Oh the joys