Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Tyre profiles, what do the numbers mean?

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2010, 02:23 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyre profiles, what do the numbers mean?

Hi chaps, I presently run 235/40/18s and I am considering running 245/35/18s instead? I was wandering what the difference will feel like dropping from a 40 profile down to a 35 profile?

I have heard that the profile number is percentage of the tyre width > ie a 235/40 should be 235 divided by 100 x 40 = 94mm. I have just measured the width of my tyres using a ruler and yes sure enough it is 235mm wide. I have measured the side wall as best as I can and measured 45mm to the bit of rubber sitting proud (rim protector?) and 50mm to the edge of the wheel rim? So I am guessing the 40% / 94mm is the tyre profile at the top & bottom added together?

So if the above is correct the 245/35 tyre is 245 divided by 100 x 35 = 85.75mm? so there is only a 8.25mm difference in side wall from these two different sized tyres, and then if you work out how much side wall difference there is from the rim to the tarmac it is only half of 8.25mm = 4.125mm.

If my working out above is correct then I am guessing that the 4.125mm less side wall will hardly be noticable?

Is my working out correct? has anyone tried these two different sizes that can advise the driving difference?

NOTE > this is only for track day tyres so I am not bothered about pot holes and the likes

Cheers,
Lee.
Old 30 December 2010, 02:29 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

In a perfect world you'd fit a wider tyre to a wider rim... but there is room for manoeuvre !

I run 235/35 's on mine and the shorter stiffer sidewall helps with the turn-in, but as you say this also reduces the ride quality a touch ( for road use ).

dunx

P.S. In your example the car will accelerate quicker, and the speedo will over-read due to the reduced gearing...
Old 30 December 2010, 02:50 PM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyreinfo.html

TYRE SIZES.

Modern tyre sizes consist of 3 numbers: the width of the tyre, the profile (aspect ratio) and the wheel size: so a tyre size 155.70.13 is 155 mm wide, has a sidewall which is 70% of the width and fits a 13 inch wheel. The tyre size is decided by the vehicle manufacturer. More powerful cars require wider tyres to give more grip (to handle the power output and for better cornering ability). Larger cars also need bigger wheels and tyres to handle the weight of the car.

Tyre profiles range from 85% down to 35%. The lower the profile of the tyre the better the road holding when cornering. This is because the narrower sidewall of the tyre has less room to flex. Low profile tyres tend to give a bumpier ride because the tyre has much smaller sidewalls to cushion minor surface irregularities.

Do not fit a lower profile tyre than originally specified unless you also increase the wheel size to compensate for it: so that the rolling radius of the tyre remains the same! Failure to observe this precaution means the vehicle speedometer will be incorrect; the vehicle will use more fuel; the ride will be uncomfortable and the vehicle may catch the ground over "speed bumps". Tyres which are too small may also overheat and your insurance could be invalid.

After the 3 numbers of the tyre size there is usually a number and letter combination which indicate the maximum load per tyre at a certain maximum speed. The load and speed are determined by manufactuer's design and testing based on the tyre size and tread pattern. A coarse pattern will heat up more quickly therefore a lower speed rating will usually apply at the stated load when compared to a normal pattern.
Google knows everything

windyboy
Old 30 December 2010, 05:10 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by windyboy
http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyreinfo.html

Google knows everything

windyboy
Too small and they'll melt... that's funny tell the classic mini owners that one.

The only checks needed are speed rating and load capacity.

dunx
Old 30 December 2010, 05:46 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 555EFC
Hi chaps, I presently run 235/40/18s and I am considering running 245/35/18s instead? I was wandering what the difference will feel like dropping from a 40 profile down to a 35 profile?
i have just done exactly that.the only difference though is the 235/40/18 tyres i have are toyo r888's on my track wheels and the 245/35/18 tyres are khumo ku31's on my road wheels.to look at them both there is a very slight height difference on the 40 profile but whether that is down to it being a different make of tyre to the 35 profile i couldnt say.so far with the 245/35/18 tyres i havnt noticed any difference at all with them, and are actually quite good on the crappy roads too.i think the only real way to compare the 2 sizes would be to have 2 sets of the same tyre,but tbh i dont think there is any difference in them really.
Old 30 December 2010, 05:53 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Tyres which are too small may also overheat and your insurance could be invalid.
Is this the same the other way round. I.e. putting 225s on standard WRX 215 rims?

Also Im sure that as you went larger it slowed the acceleration down but improved top speed but something posted earlier made me think that is not the case.
Old 30 December 2010, 06:49 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The point is you keep the rolling radius the same while reducing the sidewall The purpose of which is about stiffness, handling putting down power etc etc etc Zzzzzz.

Rolling radius of OEM 225/45/17 is the same near as damn it as 245/35/18

However, you have reduced the sidewall from 4" to 3.4" in favour of more rim and greater width

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Old 30 December 2010, 06:58 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
The point is you keep the rolling radius the same
Yes for extremes but why for a 225 over a 215 tyre?
Old 30 December 2010, 07:06 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why indeed, pointless on a 7" rim
Old 30 December 2010, 07:26 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Availability, looks (subjective), comfier ride, speedo being closer to displaying its true speed. Are there any serious downsides? I know its not supposed to grip as well but isnt the handling meant to improve i.e. more feel?
Old 31 December 2010, 12:28 AM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

thanks for the feedback fellas, greatly appreciated. I did forget to state that the reason I am considering the 35 profile is because I am assuming that the 245/40/18s will not fit in my rolled arches or they may catch the arms on full lock?

As a few know I have an 06 Spec C, I am looking at purchasing a spare set of wheels which are 18x8.5 ET35, I want to fit the fattest tyre possible to the tyres to increase grip, so I did not want to fit a to low profile tyre that reduced grip?

Bigarf > how come you run the 35 profile tyres on the road and the 40 profile tyres on the track, I would have thought (hence the questions above) that the wider tyre with the lower profile would provide the most grip

Cheers,
Lee
Old 31 December 2010, 08:43 AM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

Just wandering, if lower profile tyres are so good at cornering, why do Formula 1 cars have such a big side wall on there tyres. They appear to run smaller wheels with huge side walls
Old 31 December 2010, 09:11 AM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 555EFC
Bigarf > how come you run the 35 profile tyres on the road and the 40 profile tyres on the track, I would have thought (hence the questions above) that the wider tyre with the lower profile would provide the most grip

Cheers,
Lee
before i went to the 235/40's i was on the 7.5in wide rims so i stuck to the 225/40's.but then when i bought my 8.5in wide rotas i wanted a wider look and more grip on track so i went for the 235/40 r888s.which i have to say did both jobs just fine.but tbh i dont know whether the r888's just naturally have a high side wall or whether its just becasuse the tyre was a little wider but they did look to have a high sidewall look to them.when i bought the road wheels i just wanted to see how the 245 tyre fit basically but i thought that as i was going with the wider tyre again that the sidewall would look even bigger again.as i didnt want the big bouncy tyre look, i decided to drop the profile slightly which i think has worked out pretty well,as it seems to have given me the profile look of the 225/40 but i still have the extra width and grip from the wider tyre.

Last edited by bigarf; 31 December 2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 31 December 2010, 10:09 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

F1 isn't anything like a normal car, it's probably a heat related issue, a larger surface area can dissipate more heat, and the sidewalls provide most of the suspension...

dunx
Old 31 December 2010, 10:13 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by SRSport
Availability, looks (subjective), comfier ride, speedo being closer to displaying its true speed. Are there any serious downsides? I know its not supposed to grip as well but isnt the handling meant to improve i.e. more feel?
I sold my T1R's to a mate with a WRX ( KojaK ), and he said it was grippier in the wet...

The overall change in gearing was almost undetectable.

HTH

dunx
Old 31 December 2010, 10:50 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

What about the insurance side of things? I started a thread in the insurance section but no replies. I was looking to get some Vredesteins today to beat the VAT rise but they come in 225 45 17, will the insurers care?
Old 31 December 2010, 11:52 AM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

I was wondering about this last night... why is the width measured in mm when the diameter is measured in inches ???

windyboy
Old 31 December 2010, 12:20 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Good point.

I have read over the year many people have changed the width of the tyres yet no one seems to know the answer with insurance. Is it a classic case of denial?
Old 31 December 2010, 12:32 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SRSport
Good point.

I have read over the year many people have changed the width of the tyres yet no one seems to know the answer with insurance. Is it a classic case of denial?
I would guess each insurance company may have a different idea on what is acceptable, however I would have thought that as long as you are not making your car more dangerous/prone to having accidents they wouldnt be bothered? I have never given it a second thought tbh, I have informed them though of the increase to 18" wheels.
Old 31 December 2010, 12:36 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigarf
before i went to the 235/40's i was on the 7.5in wide rims so i stuck to the 225/40's.but then when i bought my 8.5in wide rotas i wanted a wider look and more grip on track so i went for the 235/40 r888s.which i have to say did both jobs just fine.but tbh i dont know whether the r888's just naturally have a high side wall or whether its just becasuse the tyre was a little wider but they did look to have a high sidewall look to them.when i bought the road wheels i just wanted to see how the 245 tyre fit basically but i thought that as i was going with the wider tyre again that the sidewall would look even bigger again.as i didnt want the big bouncy tyre look, i decided to drop the profile slightly which i think has worked out pretty well,as it seems to have given me the profile look of the 225/40 but i still have the extra width and grip from the wider tyre.
Reet, I will try the 245/40's, if they dont fit 245/35's and if all else fails I will go back to the 235/40's I am assuming the 255's will definitely not fit

I noticed when looking at a set of R888's the corner of the tyre from tyre surface to side wall was a lot more angular than normal road tyres. I assume that this is to increase contact patch with the same width tyre. This would make the side wall look bigger I reckon
Old 31 December 2010, 05:02 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

For a given tyre size there is a preferred spec. of rim, i.e. OEM STI is 7.5" with a 225/45/17

But that tyre is safe on any rim from 7" to 8", if not more...

So unless you go for that wonky Euro-look of a narrow low-profile tyre stretched onto a ludicrously wide rim, then you should be o.k.

If you do change wheels & tyres the weight and speed ratings are pertinent to an insurer, remember these are the people who don't know a rollcage from an ARB.

HTH

dunx

P.S. If you are paranoid try and find the suggested pressure to run a non-std tyre at...