Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2010, 05:30 PM
TenaciousC
Scooby Newbie
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Returning Brake judder

Hi All,

I have a 2004 Sportswagon WRX bugeye which I acquired back in July. I have been much enjoying the car, but for brake judder.

The front brake pistons were quite badly seized when I got hold of it. The dealer did the bare minimum to get it throught the MOT. However the brakes were not resonding working well. The previous owner had "yellow stuff" pads on. As time went on, a juddering from the front became noticeable when braking at speed (60+ mph).

So I purchased http://www.mtecbrakes.co.uk/store/br...ds-set-p-15055
I had used these before on my volvo t5 to good effect.

I took off each caliper brushed off the rust, painted with Hammerite, and cleaned and relubricated all the pistons before fitting the new disks and pads.

It seemed it was a job well done as the judder was gone.... BUT NOW... the judder has returned under exactly the same conditions and seems to be getting worse.

So today I took the calipers off, and removed the disks. On inspection, found a little pad residue which I removed using wet and dry paper. I also cleaned meticulously the mating surfaces of the hub and disk. All the pistons were moving well.

I decided to put the yellow stuff pads back in as the mintex seemed to be leaving deposits.

On test drive, the judder initially wasn't there, but as the yellow pads bedded in it came back.

I don't want to spend any money on new disks, or even skimming disks until I know for sure that there isn't some other reason this is happening.

Any ideas on what other factors may cause this?

Cheers

Chris
Old 31 December 2010, 05:40 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Could be your disks are warped this usually shows up once the disks get hot - under constant braking which is what this sounds like. If the callipers where seized then i could be the cause.

The old compound yellow stuff where rubbish at best. EBC changed the compounds in all their pads late this year and from experience i an vouch for the new ones search on here for ebc as there was a lot of free sets sent out to be tried, with very good feedback!

I would guess your disks are warped- i would change them along with the pads once you have checked the action of the callipers to make sure they are working properly and retracting/dragging (the pads in the disk) when not under braking.

Last edited by The Zohan; 01 January 2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 31 December 2010, 05:55 PM
TenaciousC
Scooby Newbie
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
If the callipers where seized then i could be the cause.
Thanks Paul, Just to clarify, all the pistons are moving well as I pushed them all back in easily.

C