Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Which tyres? I used to be indecisive now I'm not too sure.

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2010, 06:13 PM
chiroman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which tyres? I used to be indecisive now I'm not too sure.

Hi all,
Need a new set of tyres for the WR1 as down to about 3mm now.

Presently have Pirelli Rossos fitted and have driven on these for last four years , no not the same set, and trying to decide whether to change.

All year round every day use with occasional ‘B’ road blast to get the cobwebs out and adrenalin flowing. I like Rossos as they’re fairly quiet but also find steering a little dead in straight ahead position especially at low speeds and certainly compared with wife’s 07 Corsa which is like a go cart. Incidentally geometry set to Prodrive figures for WR1.

After much googling and searching Reviews/Scoobynet/ WR1OC etc. I’ve short listed:-
supply only.
Michelin PS3 ....................... £135.89
Continental Sport contact 3 .. £129.22
Pirelli Rosso ..........................£119.22
Pirelli Nero ........................... £129.62
Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta ... £95.00 ish internet

I visited Protyre in Enfield today who have good prices, as shown, and noticed on examination the Michelin has very soft tyrewalls, very wide water grooves and good rim protection. The Rossos' walls slightly stiffer and Neros stiffer than those. So my guess is the Michelins would be quieter on the road. Don’t know about the others, although I notice the Vredesteins’ unique tread pattern looks a bit strange when comparing o/s and n/s fitting.

Although tyre choice is a bit subjective any feedback would be appreciated.

Mike
Old 25 August 2010, 09:05 AM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

I always used Goodyear Eagle F1's on my old WR1. I tried both GSD3's and the newer assymetrics and I thought they were great tyres , my only criticism is the side walls are a bit soft.
I then bought a Hawkeye STI running over 450 bhp which was fitted with P Zero Nero's and the car felt really twitchy and nervous on anything but dry smooth roads, I put this down to the extra power at first but noticed a huge improvement when I fitted a set of Ultrac Sessanta's. I cannot praise these tyres highly enough, they have completely transformed my car and are by far the best all round tyre I have ever used.
Old 25 August 2010, 01:18 PM
b0x
Scooby Regular

Conti's without a doubt. Check out how well they've done in this years tests

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Co...-Contact-3.htm
Old 25 August 2010, 02:57 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have had a variety on the bug and had to change again recently. After much research decided on the GT Maxx's.

What a tyre. Great feel, grip and noise suppression. No tramlining on my 18's either. Transforms the car. Goodyear Eagle F1's bear no comparison. The yoko's that came off the car are blown in to the water.

These tyres get a lot of praise by those whove used them - do a search. Not cheap though. Had mine via discount scheme: £127 per corner fully fitted incliding VAT. Expect to pay more.