Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Tyres 2010

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2010, 06:32 PM
BIGboiSc00b87
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Tyres 2010

I'm looking to get a set of michelin pilot sport 3 tyres fitted to my new wheels. Anybody got or had these tyres to comment on? I'll be getting tyre size 225/45/r17 btw, so any comments on comparable tyres welcome. Peace
Old 03 June 2010, 09:40 PM
benny23
Scooby Newbie

I haven't got them myself mate, though I've read quite a few reviews that say there pretty good! Great wet and dry grip good steering response and improved stopping distance under braking, also decent tread wear and not to noisy on the road. however there were a few that said they didn't like them and they were quite expensive compared to their rivals like, toyo, avon, falken, etc. That offered the same sort of performance for a better price, although it must depend on where your getting you tyre's and your brand preference. I find camskill great and very reasonable for all my tyre needs, and I'm going to use avon zz3's next as I haven't heard a bad thing and for £210 for four, give or take. I'm happy with that, although my tyres are only 205/50/16 lol. Hope that was at least some help mate,
Ben.
Old 04 June 2010, 01:14 AM
BIGboiSc00b87
Scooby Newbie

Ben mate, as said before, all comments welcome, so cheers for heads up on the avon zz3's - they work out at £284.40 on camskill, that's £126.80 cheaper than the michelins!!!! anyone actually used either of these tyres on a scoob, preferably on classic? In essence, I would really like to know best bang for buck...............ty
Old 04 June 2010, 06:42 AM
Wagon Gaz
Scooby Regular

I,ve got the 235/40 18s on the rear of my WRX only had em on 2 weeks but impressed so far. In terms of price/ wear they are usually pricey but always last.
Old 04 June 2010, 02:45 PM
benny23
Scooby Newbie

That's ok mate, I know what its like trying to settle on a decent set of tyres, as there the only bit of the car that actually comes in contact with the road, you want a decent set, but the array of choice and price is a little daunting! The tyre review site as follows is quite good alot of regular folk with some decent opinions www.tyrereviews.co.uk. And I get my zz3's fitted tomorrow I let you know what there like.
Old 04 June 2010, 04:48 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With tyres, 99% of the time you pay for what you get, ie cheap tyres wont be as good as a good set of expensive tyres, so as the PS3's were on my shopping list (I decided to go back to the RE070's as I do like them ) it was a close call, forget avon/falken/wingwoohedgehoppers, go for a good brand that wont let you down

Tony

PS, you really need to read up on those tyre forums where they get customer feedback, you find "i used falkens before, now I changed to the PS3's im never going back!" because there is a lot of that between mid range and top end tyres

Last edited by TonyBurns; 04 June 2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04 June 2010, 07:13 PM
benny23
Scooby Newbie

You say forget about avon's, but that tyre is good enough for Morgan, and noble when it was still lee nobles company. And their some of the greatest handling road cars made. wont be long before they become increasingly popular and more expensive. But again its your own preference's I suppose.
Old 04 June 2010, 10:42 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by benny23
You say forget about avon's, but that tyre is good enough for Morgan, and noble when it was still lee nobles company. And their some of the greatest handling road cars made. wont be long before they become increasingly popular and more expensive. But again its your own preference's I suppose.
Until you spend the money you will never know

This one is a good review

"I know a number of people who use this tyre and find it 'ok' but admittedly they are driving non-performance cards.

I originally had Bridgestone Potenza RE070 on my car, and couldn't source them quick enough so went for the ZZ3's. This was a mistake.

Dry grip is.. ok'ish.
Wet grip is.. non existant.

I would go so far as to say these tyres are dangerous, and certainly unpredictable.

I'm going for Pirelli P Zero next."

Though the P zero's are horrid at end of life (just replaced the ones on my car)

Tony

PS, Avon's motorsport division isnt the same as their tyre division, and as the ZZ2's showed us one reason not to buy avon as a performance tyre (though I have had them on a runabout with no issues, but those were not zz2's )
Old 05 June 2010, 12:32 AM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

I was in the market for a full set of new tyres myself 3 weeks ago, read loads of reviews and bought the Sessantas > although it is still early days I am totally gutted that I never stuck with what I know was a GREAT tyre > Dunlop SP Sport Maxx >

Dont care what anyone else thinks, I drove the wheels off my 06 Spec C using the dunlops in the wet, dry, hot & cold and they were the business

Cant wait till I need a new set of tyres so I can get back to Dunlops > track day soon and I will destroy these tyres so I can get back to em
Old 07 June 2010, 11:58 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** - I remember putting Avon ZZ2's on a classic.
I had to take them off before I got myself killed.
Dry was OK, but if you introduce any moisture whatsoever then make sure you carry plenty of bog roll in the car and tuck your trousers into your socks too!

It'll make it easier to clean up after you've shat yourself
Old 07 June 2010, 06:19 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

I've had the following tyres on my Impreza's over the years

3x sets of Goodyear F1 GSD3 - Awesum in the wet and dry, not to bad when it comes to tyre noise. 2 sets lasted around 20K mark, rubbish in the snow. The last set seemed to take forever to scrub in (Greasy feel), one then failed and had to be replaced(had a big bulge in the inside of the tyre) so swapped to Dunlop the next time round

Toyo T1s (Only had these as they came on a new set of wheels via a group buy), Took forever to scrub in(a good 2000 miles) we're okay in the dry and but rubbish in the wet, standing water was very interesting to say the least, death trap in the snow. lasted around 15k miles

Dunlop SP Sport Maxx - Very impressed with these. awesum dry grip and very impresive in the wet. Very quiet and lasted around 16-17K. Very good in the snow due to treead pattern.

Just fitted at the weekend a set of Conti Sport Contract 3 as they were at a very good price. always heard good things about these. Seem okay so far

I've always used kwikfit to supply and fit tyres. They price match camskill and mytyres