Slicks or semi slicks??

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2002, 02:09 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello all!
Just toying with the idea of some slicks, how many people run them on track with eibach springs?
ive heard that the suspension would not be firm enough to get enough heat into the tyres to make them beneficial as also it would incur huge amounts of body roll?

am i better just scrubbing off some road tyres and running them?
i like the idea of using slicks as i can get them at a resonable price, they must last longer on track as road tyres do go off quite quickly and it will save my new F!'s

also Brake wear and wheel bearing wear could be up on the slicks too? so anyone got first hand experience of slicks?

any info appreciated!

Lee
Old 23 March 2002, 03:43 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Hi Lee. I've run both 16in and 17in slicks (used Dunlops). 17in are a pain to get, though. They are awesome to drive and you'll get plenty of heat in them in a standard car, after a couple of laps.

However, they'll overwhelm stock suspension very easily and don't even think about slicks unless you've got some very serious brakes. I've also heard that they can knacker your bearings pretty quickly - can't do them any good, that's for sure.

But having been there and done that, as they say, I'll not be running slicks again. I run well worn road tyres which are obviously slower, but are just as much fun (it's not a race, you know ) you can run them in the rain, you can drive them on the road, and are generally much less hassle. Sure, they can get a bit warm and slide about a bit, but that's quite fun and when they get to that stage it's probably time you came in and gave the poor car a rest.

A very tempting alternative to slicks are some of the new track day tyres that are available now. Dunlop even make one specially for Imprezas! They're road-legal, too. But at £100-150 a corner, and probably only good for about four track days max, I can think of better ways to spend that kind of money.

Richard.
Old 23 March 2002, 09:46 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hiya Richard!
How are you!
ive decided to run ordinary tyres, for my next day im going to use my road tyres, im getting another set of wheels which are 16 inch, and i can get some tyres at very resonable price, even new ones!
so i thought id be better off with them and scrub them off nicely!

i know what you mean when the road tyres have had enough the cars pretty well ready for a rest too.

Its only for fun like you say and the thought of new bearings and shafting brakes regular would take the fun away!

Lee